Wireless router into network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless router into network

Ok so i have my cable line comin the house to my cable modem. Modem to wan port of router. Netgear nighthawk x4s. Line goes into my switch.

This totally works. Netgear router parental controls are horrible.

My Asus wifi router allows you to deny devices to internet on a granular schedule. I plugged wireless router port into my switch and i can connect to wifi and browse the web. Cant get block to work.

Are you supposed to use the wan port of router into switch making it a totally seperated network?

Im thinkin so and i cant set that for a few hrs. Run kids to sports...

Thoughts? Hope you can follow whats in my head...
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    Ok so i have my cable line comin the house to my cable modem. Modem to wan port of router. Netgear nighthawk x4s. Line goes into my switch.

This totally works. Netgear router parental controls are horrible.

My Asus wifi router allows you to deny devices to internet on a granular schedule. I plugged wireless router port into my switch and i can connect to wifi and browse the web. Cant get block to work.

Are you supposed to use the wan port of router into switch making it a totally seperated network?

Im thinkin so and i cant set that for a few hrs. Run kids to sports...

Thoughts? Hope you can follow whats in my head...

The WAN port connects to the service provider. To achieve separation ===> VLANS you need a managed switch not a plug n play switch.

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
      The WAN port connects to the service provider. To achieve separation ===> VLANS you need a managed switch not a plug n play switch.

Eman.
      Ive got a dell powerconnect 2724...

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

ok got it working and exactly how I thought it would..

Asus -
        • so Asus router I want the kids on wan port to my switch (could of done to netgear router so may do that another day).
        • Configure DHCP on router for range to give out
        • Configure SSID's and pwds
        • Gateway is WAN port IP

Really that was it out of the norm. Other network didn't touch anything..

Comment

Asus -
          • so Asus router I want the kids on wan port to my switch (could of done to netgear router so may do that another day).
          • Gateway is WAN port IP

Hi,

If you need more help on this read this : https://kb.netgear.com/24755/How-do-...a-smart-switch

And a video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFvvEet6POA

Eman.
          Last edited by Eman; April 26, 2018, 12:44 AM.
          TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Comment

Asus -
              • Gateway is WAN port IP

Sounds good.
              You may have issues if the kids need to use a printer or other resources on the main LAN. To allow the path back, add a route on the Netgear. For example, if the main LAN is 192.168.1.0 and the kids computers are on 192.168.2.0, on the Netgear add route with destination 192.168.2.0 and gateway 192.168.1.xxx, where xxx is the [static or fixed] IP assigned to the ASUS' WAN port.

Comment

Working...
              X