No announcement yet.

Looking for "Green" ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct.. secondary computer.. not H.S. machine.

I put it to sleep using pshsutdown from a homeseer event

I wanted to "wake it up" when someone is in the room for more than 2 minutes.. (so it would have the screen saver with pictures...)..

But i don't think you can do the WOL with a wireless connection.. so

Sometimes Non-Automation is the best (or only) route:..
    If I or the family want to see pictures.. just hit the space bar.

Thanks
    Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

I don't think so Andrew.

I fooled around with for one for a while but could not find a way. Eventually i ran a wire to that computer so i didn't need a wireless solution anymore.
      Running HS PRO V2.5.0.49 & HS Pro V2.5.0.51

Comment

Originally posted by jackpod View Post
        Well they used to have the phrase "promise to cherish and obey" I've been holding that over her head for decades! but then they also had divorce court and none of this unreconcilable differences...

The times have changed.....
        This was a topic of dicussion a long time ago.
        You need a digital watt metter because if I remember right the X-10 modules have a load associtated with themselves also.

Someday I hope to have HS monitor my power generating equipement when I get off the grid (long future dream).

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
          WOW I didnt think of that... I need to add that to mine!!!!! few times i have walked out of the garage and back in... and the lights shut off while I made it 1/2 way in.... this is because of the ms14a taking some time until it detects motion again (think I read every 10 seconds it checks)... so I have to wave my arms so I dont trip.... and the lights are back on!!!
          But, if they aren't charging, they aren't consuming any power, right? Maybe a tiny amount for the LED that indicates the battery is fully charged but that would be negligable.

I'm asking because I have a lot of chargers in my shop that stay plugged in all the time. Maybe I need to plug them into a Kill-A-Watt to see what they pull when charging vs not charging.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
            This was a topic of dicussion a long time ago.
            You need a digital watt metter because if I remember right the X-10 modules have a load associtated with themselves also.

Someday I hope to have HS monitor my power generating equipement when I get off the grid (long future dream).
            That actually was the first thing I automated. The OFF state of the equipment was in my opinion excessive and the cabinet was always warm even when everything was OFF, everything else expanded from there.

Almost all the lights inside and outside the House are set to turn off after there has been no activity in the area for a period of time. This also includes my Airpanels, TV's, Ceiling Fan's, Dehumidifier's, computers, printers, Treadmill and other items.

Comment

Even though I am not impressed with the warm color of the new low voltage LED lamps I have decided to switch over to LEDs for my landscaping lighting a zone at a time slowly.

I noticed the price of the 1-2-3 watt have dropped a lot since looking about 6 months ago. The first zone (out of about 10-12 zones) has 8 halogen lamps with 10-50 watt bulbs of all types. Each zone has a separate feed going into the house which makes it a bit easier. For this zone I will be utilizing MR-11's and MR-16's which look like the following lamps. I am trying a mix of of Cree style and multiple LED style . Already have about 3 in place. (of the cree type). Very different type of light.
              Attached Files
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

GPhotoShow Screen Saver

On my HP Touch Screen Computer, I use a screensaver called GPhotoShow. It is a very nice Photo (and Video and Music) screen saver. It supports multi monitors as well, plus has alot of plugins. One plugin allows you to setup a screen off and on time.

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                  I agree... cf bulbs have reduced my electric costs...
                  also same goes for motion sensors... but I also use ds10a's too..

garage:
                  open either garage door or door to house and lights come on
                  after 8 minutes of no movement lights off

utility room
                  same as garage

crawl space
                  open door and light on plus motion tripped
                  close door and light off after motion gives an off

used to use sunset and sunrise for front porch lights (2 of them)
                  first went from bulbs to cf - 10hrs a day . from 36kw a month to 7.8kw
                  I have reduced the time even more by kicking off the porch light at 11pm and off 1hr before sunrise.....

next is for me to add a motion sensor to kick on the lights before 11pm if someone comes to the door....

ds10a on freezer, fridges (beer expecially) where you dont always go to them as I have them in the garage... this way you will know when they are open

my newest is appliance modules on all my computers except the hs machine
                  .... so I can turn on any computer when I want remotely to save cost...
                  example is I remote home now and then (as I am right now)... so hs machine is up... turn on appliance module, my computer acts as if it was a power outage and turns on.. in a few minutes I can remote in and use the machine...
                  I'll toss one in. Most modern electronics (A/V and computer gear) are never really "off" when you turn them off. Instant-on and IR circuitry are still active. Granted, the power draw is small... but if you add up all the gear in your house, it might be significant. Add an appliance module to a power strip and then plug your media gear into it. Then, add an event in HomeSeer that cuts power to the module during nighttime hours or when the house is unoccupied.

Comment

Finished one outdoor lighting "zone" of originally 8 Halogen lamps; now converted to LED.

I used the 12, 6, 3 , 1 LED lamp style above. the 12 and 6 are about 1.8 watts a piece and the 3 and 1 are 3 watts a piece. There is an adjacent "zone" of 4 halogen lights and current in the process of converting these. Once converted to LED will make them one "zone" of 12 LED lamps. There is a subtle color difference between the 12 and 6 LED lamps. Brightness is the same as replaced halogen.

The current in use commercial transformers are 600-1000 watt multitap boxes being switched on and off by X-10 appliance modules. New transformers will be significantly smaller in wattage.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Old thread but my contribution:

I am just setting up a new HT3Pro system and have the following:

1. all closet lights off after 10 minutes
                      2. main floor bathroom light off after 20 minutes Sat/Sun from 5am-8am (as our 7 year old who gets up to watch TV always leaves it on)
                      3. bathroom fans off after 20 minutes after light turned off (if fan is on when light turned off) or 20 minutes after fan turned on (if light is off when fan turned on) except for the main bathroom where we shower it is 30 minutes to clear the humidity
                      4. outside lights on 30 mins after sunset and off 30 mins before sunrise (we used to turn them off at 11 pm but after we were broken into we leave them on all night now)
                      5. decorations (trees/lighted snowmen/xmas lights, etc.) on at 6pm and off at 11pm

I am trying to make the HA useful and not intrusive to get the WAF so I read through this whole thread with interest and would like to get more ideas from others.

Marc

Comment

I see that a couple of people are talking about "When we are away..."
                        Did you guys connect your alarm system to homeseer, or is it just an EVENT that you called AWAY that will turn off most of the appliances ?

Comment

I have an away mode that I set up with a series of HomeSeer events. All it really does is turn off everything not needed if no one is home as well as set the alarm. There's more to it of course but that's the basic Idea and everyones away mode is different based on their needs.
                          Marty
                          ------
                          XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
                          Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Hi ,

What interest me in what you wrote is "as well as set the alarm".
                            What kind of alarm do you have, and how good is it with homeseer ?

Comment

Like nightwalker, my "away" mode turns off everything not needed. This Homeseer event will execute automatically when both cars are gone, or can be executed via a button on an x10 remote. I have a separate button to "arm alarm" . If any door is opened when the system is armed, Homeseer will sound a loud alarm and announce "the police have been called". I use this Homeseer event for "armed at home" and "armed away".

Steve Q
                              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                              2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Hi,

How do you manage homeseer to know that the cars are gone ?

Comment

Working...
                                X