Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make REST call to HS3 webserver with name + password

Guys,

I'd like to make a REST/API call to my Homeseer webserver from outside the firewall. (Btw, the HS doc incorrectly refers to this as a JSON call.) It appears to be basic auth so that the following works _with Chrome_ for example:

http://username:password@mydomain.ne...e.aspx?foo=bar

However, I'm trying to run that URL from an IFTTT recipe and IFTTT doesn't support the usernameassword business (it would appear). SO, can I get HS to _not_ prompt for username/password when I make a webpage request? Maybe via a special account, etc?

Thanks!
    Tahl

MyHS (My HomeSeer) would support sending a username/password in the URL so you could do this if you wanted to use that option. Failing that I am not sure of a real good solution, you could have your own web page hosted something that was insecure and then forwarded the request on to HS passing the authentication correctly but that is not really a good solution.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      MyHS (My HomeSeer) would support sending a username/password in the URL so you could do this if you wanted to use that option. Failing that I am not sure of a real good solution, you could have your own web page hosted something that was insecure and then forwarded the request on to HS passing the authentication correctly but that is not really a good solution.
      Thanks for getting back. Technically HS (or any server) doesn't support getting name+password in the URL, per se, but the credentials come over in the header vs. the query parameters. So it's an issue of whether the user agent supports name+password in the URL and then will stuff them in the header. Chrome does and apparently IFTTT's maker channel does not. So technically it's not an HS issue as but rather a IFTTT issue.

However, it would be nice if HS would take name+password as a query parameter (part of the URL after the ?) so then all user agents (all browsers + IFTTT) could do authenticated REST calls to HS.

The way I solved it is my taking the REST GET from IFTTT to my main server with query parameter credentials and then doing a GET over to the HS server which doesn't require credentials for intranets.

Best,
      Tahl

Comment

Big5 is a plug-in for HS3 that supports REST API and JSON API

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/li.../big5-risquare

Comment

Working...
        X