Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of RF-based weather sensors...

Greetings, everyone!
    I have never used any RFXCOM products with my HS3 (or old HS2) system. I always used z-wave sensors, including the newest Aeon ones. Terrible accuracy, need multiple temperature adjustments, not happy with perceived precision in general. But... It doesn't need a separate receiver and plugin. Plus, the one HS makes plugs straight into AC outlet, which is definitely helpful.

Built an outdoor garden last year, thinking of adding irrigation this coming spring or summer. Now thinking it would be nice to have a rain gauge sensor outside. It would also be nice not to have to open HSTouch every time I want to see room temperature and humidity, so
    RFXCOM sensors with LCD display starting to look attractive.

A few questions to all of you who use similar technology:

1. First of all, would you do it again? If starting over today, would you go with z-wave or similar sensors, or still buy RF-based receiver and use Oregon Scientific sensors?

2. What is the range for
    RFXCOM receiver? My house is about 4500 sq feet, garden is obviously outside. My HS computer is centrally located, so z-net reaches almost everything directly. Would RFXCOM be able to communicate with sensors from there, or would I need multiple receivers throughout the house and outside?

3. As of January 2016, for HS3 Pro user with a dedicated Win-10 machine that has six serial ports and four USB port, what receiver would you use? What indoor sensors are best and what outdoor sensors are best? Rain gauge - does it really work?

Any input would be very, very helpful. All of these products are no longer new at all, several years since release, so I can't really see the trend towards any specific device and can't tell if today it is still a worthwhile investment for someone who already has about ten z-wave tem / humidity sensors.

For myself, I use Oregon sensors including one in my pool which is a fair distance from my house. My house is all brick and is about 3400 square feet. My RFXCOM receiver is in my basement along with my system. For the most part it works - except under the pool cover of course. Ideally, and I was hoping to get one, is to put a RFXCOM LAN receiver in my pool shed as I have EOP network extended to it to run my irrigation.

Saying that and in conclusion, Oregon sensors work just fine. A decent line of sight would pretty much guarantee decent reliability.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
      For myself, I use Oregon sensors including one in my pool which is a fair distance from my house. My house is all brick and is about 3400 square feet. My RFXCOM receiver is in my basement along with my system. For the most part it works - except under the pool cover of course. Ideally, and I was hoping to get one, is to put a RFXCOM LAN receiver in my pool shed as I have EOP network extended to it to run my irrigation.

Saying that and in conclusion, Oregon sensors work just fine. A decent line of sight would pretty much guarantee decent reliability.

Robert
      Thanks very much! I noticed in your signature that you are still running HS2. I wonder if experience with HS3 is the same...

Comment

Don't know. Would assume so... I'm just about to start my migration to HS3.
        I've been sitting on my HS3PRO license since HS3 came out....
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
        X