X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howto upgrade Mono to version 4.x on a Raspberry Pi

Here is a method that worked for me on Raspbian
    Note: this method only work for RPi 2 and 3, for RPi 1 and RPi Zero use this guide instead.

remove current mono version:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge mono-runtime
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    Add the Mono Project GPG signing key to your system
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://[URL="http://keyserver.ubuntu.com"]keyserver.ubuntu.com[/URL]:80 --recv-keys 3FA7E0328081BFF6A14DA29AA6A19B38D3D831EF

Edit the sources.list file to Add the Mono package repository to your system

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    Add the following line at the end of the file and save
    Code:
    deb [URL]http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian[/URL] wheezy/snapshots [URL="http://4.2.3.4/main"]4.2.3.4/main[/URL]
    update and upgrade your system
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    reinstall mono
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install mono-devel
    sudo apt-get install mono-complete
    sudo apt-get install mono-vbnc
    check the version you are now running:
    Code:
    mono --version
    Last edited by spud; August 2, 2017, 08:59 AM.

Hey Spud, that version of mono with raspbian Jessie OR Wheezy seg-faults on install. I'm doing this on a B+ Raspberry

Did you try this on a fresh install ?

Pete
    Last edited by petez69; September 14, 2016, 05:55 AM.
    HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
      Hey Spud, that version of mono with raspbian Jessie seg-faults on install. Cant seem to find a wheezy version of raspbian :-)

Are you using Jessie or Wheezy ?

Pete
      I'm using wheezy, but it says here that the package are based on wheezy but should work on other Debian derivatives:
      Note: While the APT package is built against Debian Wheezy, it is compatible with a number of Debian derivatives (including Ubuntu) which means you can use the same repository across all these distributions.
      what kind of Raspberry Pi do you have, it looks like the packages are only good for Raspberry Pi 2 and 3
      https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=29915

Comment

Heh heh.. bugger.. thanks for the help...the KODI box will have to suffer !
        HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Thank you SPUD

I now get "Error compiling script" on all scripts. Any ideas please ?

Ian

Comment

Events Okay After Mono Upgrade?

Spud - After you upgraded Mono, were all your events still good? I read in another thread that the events are lost or parts of the events are lost when Mono is upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by AutomatedJim View Post
              Spud - After you upgraded Mono, were all your events still good? I read in another thread that the events are lost or parts of the events are lost when Mono is upgraded.
              yeah, upgrading Mono on your HS3 server will screw up your events. However if the RapsberryPi you want to control with this plugin is the same one you use to run HS3, you don't have to upgrade mono at all.

the typical case where you need to upgrade mono is for example if you have HS3 running on a windows machine, and you want to control Raspberry Pi IO using the RaspberryIO plugin.

Comment

Must I downgrade Mono?

I am attempting to install RaspberryIO on a remote raspberry pi connecting to a Windows system running HS3. If I have a later version of mono on the RasPi, is it necessary to downgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by dzee View Post
                  I am attempting to install RaspberryIO on a remote raspberry pi connecting to a Windows system running HS3. If I have a later version of mono on the RasPi, is it necessary to downgrade?
                  if you have mono 4.x or later installed on your RPi, it should be ok.

Comment

I tried to apt-get update today and get:

Code:
                    W: The repository 'http://download.mono-project.com/repo/debian wheezy/snapshots Release' does not have a Release file.
                    N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
                    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
                    Which makes sense I guess sinse the Raspi is running Stretch - not Wheezy. What's your suggestion?

Comment

Can I just use
                      Code:
                      ?

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                        Can I just use
                        Code:
                        ?
                        What's your end goal here? What version of mono do you have currently installed on your RPi?
                        This guide was meant to upgrade mono from version 3.x to 4.x

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
                          What's your end goal here? What version of mono do you have currently installed on your RPi?
                          I just installed the latest Raspbian Stretch and need to istall remote Rasperry IO plugin, but can't find latest instructions please

Comment

Originally posted by alexbk66 View Post
                            I just installed the latest Raspbian Stretch and need to istall remote Rasperry IO plugin, but can't find latest instructions please
                            if you added the line at the end of sources.list, just remove it. Then:
                            Code:
                            sudo apt-get update
                            then follow the instructions from the user guide: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/an...yio-user-guide

Comment

Thank you, doing it now. The user guide says
                              WARNING: if your HS3 server run on Windows you MUST run mono version 4.x. on your Raspberry Pi
                              Do you mean 4 and above?

Comment

Working...
                              X