Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to port forward - Solved!

Hello all,
    I have been running MYHS for a long while with no problem. I just replaced my router and all of a sudden I'm having fits with it. It will connect sometimes but mostly not. Says "Homeseer not running" but I teamview in and it's running just fine. But, I do have several errors indicating that there is a communication problem. Here is what I am getting over and over:

Device: Node 24 Living Room Luminance Set to 2 (Lux)
    Nov-16 2:41:21 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service successfully with license ID xxxxx
    Nov-16 2:41:21 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service, waiting for acknowledge...
    Nov-16 2:41:17 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 24 Living Room Relative Humidity Set to 50 (%)
    Nov-16 2:41:16 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 24 Living Room Temperature Set to 79.6 (F)
    Nov-16 2:41:10 PM Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
    Nov-16 2:38:10 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service successfully with license ID xxxxx
    Nov-16 2:38:10 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service, waiting for acknowledge...
    Nov-16 2:37:59 PM Warning Error serializing myhs data: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    Nov-16 2:32:09 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service successfully with license ID xxxxx.
    Nov-16 2:32:09 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service, waiting for acknowledge...
    Nov-16 2:31:58 PM Warning Error serializing myhs data: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Anyone know what I must be missing? I have port 88 set in the server settings of HS, and I have port 88 forwarded through the router..Surely I'm missing something.
    Thanks,

John

Originally posted by jonjonbear View Post
    Hello all,
    I have been running MYHS for a long while with no problem. I just replaced my router and all of a sudden I'm having fits with it. It will connect sometimes but mostly not. Says "Homeseer not running" but I teamview in and it's running just fine. But, I do have several errors indicating that there is a communication problem. Here is what I am getting over and over:

Device: Node 24 Living Room Luminance Set to 2 (Lux)
    Nov-16 2:41:21 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service successfully with license ID xxxxx
    Nov-16 2:41:21 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service, waiting for acknowledge...
    Nov-16 2:41:17 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 24 Living Room Relative Humidity Set to 50 (%)
    Nov-16 2:41:16 PM Z-Wave Device: Node 24 Living Room Temperature Set to 79.6 (F)
    Nov-16 2:41:10 PM Warning Have not heard from MyHS in over 3 minutes, disconnecting for re-connection.
    Nov-16 2:38:10 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service successfully with license ID xxxxx
    Nov-16 2:38:10 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service, waiting for acknowledge...
    Nov-16 2:37:59 PM Warning Error serializing myhs data: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
    Nov-16 2:32:09 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service successfully with license ID xxxxx.
    Nov-16 2:32:09 PM Info System connected to MyHS Service, waiting for acknowledge...
    Nov-16 2:31:58 PM Warning Error serializing myhs data: Unable to write data to the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

Anyone know what I must be missing? I have port 88 set in the server settings of HS, and I have port 88 forwarded through the router..Surely I'm missing something.
    Thanks,

John
    I can't help on the root problem there, but can help you rule out port forwarding as the problem for MyHS. Port forwarding is not required. MyHS makes an outbound connection from your HS3 instance to HomeSeer's servers. MyHS connections remotely go to their servers, which route the requests back over the now established connection to your HS3 instance.
    cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by cheeryfool View Post
      I can't help on the root problem there, but can help you rule out port forwarding as the problem for MyHS. Port forwarding is not required. MyHS makes an outbound connection from your HS3 instance to HomeSeer's servers. MyHS connections remotely go to their servers, which route the requests back over the now established connection to your HS3 instance.
      Thanks for the input. Looking at the errors, it appears my system is connecting properly, but it's not getting the handshake back from the servers, so somewhere something is getting blocked I think.

Comment

so somewhere something is getting blocked I think.
        I'm not going to rule that out completely, but I know on my systems I don't have any port forwarding or need any special firewall adjustments for myhs to get threw.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Looking at the errors, it appears my system is connecting properly, but it's not getting the handshake back from the servers, so somewhere something is getting blocked I think.
          Still having issues. Same thing. I've tried restarting HS, restarting the computer and get the same thing. I can access the computer with Teamviewer with no problems so not sure why HS3 is having issues communicating with the server. Sometimes I can catch it while it's still connected and it will let me remotely log on for a while, then it cuts me off. Should I put in a trouble ticket or something like that?

Comment

Yeah, shoot them an email to support@homeseer.com and point them to this thread.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
              Yeah, shoot them an email to support@homeseer.com and point them to this thread.
              Thanks, just sent them a note.

John

Comment

Sometimes I can catch it while it's still connected and it will let me remotely log on for a while, then it cuts me off.
                If you can get in at all and then it quits points to something on your network, firewall, or anti-virus software.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

You indicated that the problem started when you changed to a new router, so it follows that the issue lies there. What is make/model of the router? Any special setup you did on it?

MyHS does not need any ports forwarded, so you should delete any forwarding rules you've added trying to get that to work.

Comment

Hello all,
                    I just replaced my router and all of a sudden I'm having fits with it.
                    Have you tried temporally swapping back to see if problems go away?

Without knowing much on the router, you might have security settings set to very high and the firewall is blocking something.

Comment

This would happen to me when I first setup my snort active IDS. What kind of antivirus/anti malware are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey guys,
                        You got me thinking. I didn't change anything as far as firewall or Anti Virus on the computer, only running the windows 10 stuff but I thought I had better check in the router. Both Firewall are turned on for IPV4 and IPV6. I then thought I would try something. On the DMZ page I entered the IPV4 address and turned it on. That seems to be passing the data back to my box and keeping MYHS open. Is using DMZ this way a bad idea, and if so is there a better way? Oddly I don't have any problems with the sister box that runs Blue Iris. I can be connected to that all day long. The box that HS3 is running on only runs HS3 and a Playon video server.

Thanks so much guys,

John

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                          You indicated that the problem started when you changed to a new router, so it follows that the issue lies there. What is make/model of the router? Any special setup you did on it?

MyHS does not need any ports forwarded, so you should delete any forwarding rules you've added trying to get that to work.
                          The router is a Linksys WRT3200ACM. I deleted the port forwarding as you suggested.

Comment

I suspect your firewall is stopping the inbound comm. putting the server in the DMZ is a great test to rule out the firewall, but this leaves the computer unprotected. I do not recommend leaving it this way. Are you able to see the firewall logs on the device?

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                              I suspect your firewall is stopping the inbound comm. putting the server in the DMZ is a great test to rule out the firewall, but this leaves the computer unprotected. I do not recommend leaving it this way. Are you able to see the firewall logs on the device?

Question, if you put it in DMZ mode, and it works just fine, wouldn't that indicate that the problem is not the windows firewall but instead, something to do with the router? I've never made any changes to the windows firewall so that should be the same as it always was. Given the DMZ worked, that eliminates the router completely and sends requests directly to the computer, yes? Just wanted to see if I am right here or not. If this is the case, then I need to figure out what is going on in the router that only affects HS3 (so far)
                              Thanks,
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X