This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer to Omni Communications

I'm getting ready to dig in and move much of my Omni code to HomeSeer. I'm leaving security and HVAC code on Omni, just because it has a longer battery backup, etc.

Was wondering any suggestions for HomeSeer/Omni communications. From what I can see, using Omni variables is about all of it. Omni can set Omni variables, HomeSeer can read them. HomeSeer can set Omni variables (I think) and Omni can read them. I generally just need on/off (set/reset) which I understand is faster because HomeSeer learns about these changes faster.

I guess one other method of comminucations would just be X-10, because both HomeSeer and Omni can send/receive these. Seems like a waste because they are both just sitting inches from one another, but, oh well. Also, since I only have an Omni II, it can only control 48 addresses so don't have many of these once I subtract the real physical devices from the ones that can be "virtual."

Any other good communications methods that I'm not thinking of? Any suggestions?

I think you hit upon most of them. The X-10 link is going to be the slowest, and that is what I lived with before we got the HAI plug-in. Besides using units to communicate, HomeSeer can monitor the thermostat settings as triggers too, so you can actually use thermostat settings as a way of informing HomeSeer of what is going on.

I have had all of my security and HVAC in HomeSeer for what now? A year and a half I think and it works great. Even if the HomeSeer PC loses power, your thermostats will retain their last settings so it's not like the house will freeze or burn up. It can't do much without electricity probably anyway!

What I have left in the panel though is the fire handling and the workaround programming and wiring I have that provides a one-shot access code for cleaners/service people. The fire handling is that when a fire is detected, it turns on the lights (built into the panel) but ALSO what it does that is not programmed by default is that it turns the thermostat mode to "OFF" so that the fan of the HVAC system is not circulating air to fuel the fire.

If you leave code in the panel, remember also that "pushing a button" and checking the device "Last Button Pushed" (value change trigger) are other ways to communicate with the panel. You don't even have to have any actions in the panel under the button event for that to work!

Regards,

Rick Tinker
    HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
    X