Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under counter fluorescent light issues - ballast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under counter fluorescent light issues - ballast?

Ok, so one of my kitchen under counter fluorescent lights works intermittently. Actually more not then working. It has a mind of its own.

Do you guys think that the ballast might be at fault? I mean I know that the fluorescent tube itself works as I have swapped it with another. There is not much else in these, right?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
    Ok, so one of my kitchen under counter fluorescent lights works intermittently. Actually more not then working. It has a mind of its own.

Do you guys think that the ballast might be at fault? I mean I know that the fluorescent tube itself works as I have swapped it with another. There is not much else in these, right?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    If it is getting power it is likely the tube or the ballast. I have seen some bad connections in the sockets, but that is rare. If it is that, usually just removing and installing the tubes will improve or cure it. If in doubt you can lightly tap on the connectors (with an insulated tool) and see if the light flickers.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Check to see if you have a starter as it could be bad too. It looks like this: https://www.lampshoponline.com//file...g?t=1436518956. Other than the tube, the ballast, a starter and the wiring/connections, there's nothing else to them. If the ballast is bad, it may make sense to replace the tubes with LED tubes as the ballast needs to be removed/bypassed for them.

Cheers
      Al
      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Yes as Al mentions above there is less upkeep now to a replacement florescent tube with an LED lamp and today prices are much better than a couple of years ago.

Here recently just replaced the laundry room incandescent lamp with an indoor/outdoor single LED tube which turns the laundry room to daylight and is pretty instant on.

Also testing some cluster LED lighting for the garage (18 watts) that turns the garage to daylight whenever. (using UPB switch on the wall).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks guys. I figured that there would be replacement tubes which included LED's. I asked at Home Depot and they looked at me like I was on drugs.

But then, may be I explained it in a way that was odd.

Thanks again.
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Here is a six pack of 21" LED replacements for $16 on Amazon Prime. There are a bunch of different LED tubes on Amazon.

Here purchased little hockey puck style 120VAC LED lamps for a kitchen cabinet I have in the garage. I deliberately have left it on 24/7 for the last 5 years. They still look fine today. I purchased these at Home Depot.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
            X