Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup homeseer email to send and receive from gmail account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I followed those instructions and got the same warning, not available for your account. Sigh... I do not have two factor auth and I dont know what log in with my phone means. I have gmail on my phone which is always logged in (as most people I assume)

Oops, I'll try again based on new info.

Comment

https://productforums.google.com/for...E/vGcIoIBhwuAJ

"If you have not enabled 2 step verification in your Gmail account, there will be no ability for you to create an App Password and you simply do not need one"

"Trying to set up an irrelevant App Password is masking the real underlying problem, as it is doing here"

Comment

Cowinger,

When I go to the "apps password page" and enter existing password and press enter I get the following error message: "The setting you are looking for is not available for your account"

I see no apps or devices and no "other"? What am I missing? Does this have something to do with enabling two step verification as it is disabled now? Also what is meant by "apps" and "devices" and "other? I am missing something basic here? From looking at previous thread it looks like this procedure is NOT needed to use gmail with homeseer if you do not want extra security of two step verification. Would this be correct? Thanks again....Rick

Zwolfpack

What is the underlying problem being masked and what is wrong with two step verification for use with homeseer only? It is an extra level of security? Thanks much....Rick
        Last edited by Rick Bonari; April 12, 2018, 12:16 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
          What is the underlying problem being masked and what is wrong with two step verification for use with homeseer only? It is an extra level of security?
          The underlying problem is that it isn't working. Simply adding an extra level of security isn't going to magically fix that.

Did you try the setup I posted? It doesn't need a password.

Comment

Zwolfpack,

What is the underlying problem that isn't working? Is it a security issue or some other issue?

I will try your setup. Would it be the same for me except my gmail address? Would the sent from address be homeseer@ and then my e-mail address for homeseer?

Thanks again !!! Rick

Comment

What is the underlying problem that isn't working?

Presumably, problem is that you're currently unable to send emails from HomeSeer - hence this thread.

Regarding setup -

Default "from" address can be whatever you like; you can make it the same as the "to" address. I have a private domain so I use "HomeSeer@mydomain.net".

"To" address should be your gmail address.

Comment

Rick,

I just ran through all the steps to set up GMail. Here they are without pictures. The only thing I did not test was the password entry into HomeSeer for the More Secure setup. The HomeSeer side is actually very straightforward for use with GMail. You have probably done some of these already, bit for completeness, here they are

There are two methods to set up HomeSeer to work with GMail, based on the Gmail side, these are:
                1. The Less Secure way
                2. The More Secure way

I use option 1 as the email address I set up is used only for home automation and currently only with HomeSeer. (I have no plans to add to this but am open if something comes up.) With Option 1 you do the following:

Less Secure Setup
                1. Create the Email Account in GMail by following the steps on that linked page.
                2. Remember the Password you provided as it wil be used in step 5 for the HomeSeer setup.
                3. Go to My Account via myaccount.google.com and make sure you are in as this new account by clicking the Account Item at the top right corner of the page.
                4. Scroll down to the Sign-in & Security section and click Signing in to Google
                5. Scroll down the right hand side of the page to the section called Password & sign-in method and make sure 2-Step Verification is Off. It should be by default and from earlier messages sounds as if it is off.
                6. Scroll down farther and turn on Allow less secure apps

If you want to set up Gmail to use 2-step authentication/verification, there are a couple minor changes to the above steps. I believe you should be able to follow these if you wish to have your account set up this way. It worked on one of my accounts:
                More Secure Setup
                1. Create the Email Account in GMail
                2. Go to My Account via myaccount.google.com and make sure you are in as this new account by clicking the Account Item at the top right corner of the page.
                3. Scroll down to the Sign-in & Security section and click Signing in to Google
                4. Scroll down the right hand side of the page to the section called Password & sign-in method and make click 2-Step Verification
                5. Follow the prompts to enable 2-Step Verification
                6. Once set up click the left arrow (<-) next to "2-Step Verification" at the top of the page to take you back to the Account Sign-in & security page.
                7. Scroll down to Apps passwords which is under Password & sign-in method and click to use this option.
                8. Under the Select app drop-down select Other (Custom name) and enter HomeSeer or whatever you want to call it.
                9. Once entered a window will open with a Password and instructions to use that password for the desired app. Use this in step 5 below.

For both of these options you could set up HomeSeer with the same settings, save the password used:
                HomeSeer Setup
                1. In HomeSeer, go to Tools->Setup
                2. Click the E-Mail tab
                3. Check the box to Use Gmail
                4. Fill in the Gmail Username with the email address, minus @gmail.com. If your new email address is MyHouse@gmail.com this field reads MyHouse. (This is Not Case Sensitive.)
                5. in the Gmail Password field enter the password based on which security level you used for the GMail account
                  1. For the Less Secure Setup use the same password you use to access the Gmail account. This is the password you use in your phone, etc. to access the account.
                  2. For the More Secure Setup use the password set up in the More Secure Setup steps above.
                6. Scroll down and enter values for the 3 default message items which are used as the initial settings for Events:
                  1. Default "TO" E-Mail address - This is where an email will be sent from the Event unless changed in the Event
                  2. Default E-Mail Subject - This is the e-mail's Subject when the Event is first set up. Again, this can be changed in the Event settings
                  3. Default E-Mail Message - This is the Body of the e-mail. The Message sent by default and can also be changed in the Event setup.
                7. IF you want to be able to send emails to HomeSeer and have Events run from them:
                  1. Scroll down to Check E-Mail and check the box.
                  2. Enter a value in the Check Frequency (minutes) box which is acceptable to your needs. If you enter 10 here HomeSeer will check the email account for new messages every 10 minutes.
                8. Do not check the box next to any of the Use SSL options
                9. Create Events to test sending and receiving messages.

I believe these steps should get you set up. As I have said, I use the Less Secure method as the account is only used for HomeSeer and primarily for messages Out. I have only used it to activate events in testing and that can be controlled fairly nicely. Honestly, as far as the HomeSeer side is concerned having 2-Step verification means nothing as anyone can send an email TO that account and HomeSeer will look at the message. If the Events are set up poorly, anyone could run one. So what happens if someone hacks into your GMail account? They change the password, you get a message on your Recovery settings about the change and until you Reset the password HomeSeer cannot send or check messages. You Reset the password using your backup recovery settings, enter the new password in HomeSeer and you are good to go.
                Karl S
                HS4Pro on Windows 10
                1070 Devices
                56 Z-Wave Nodes
                104 Events
                HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I created another account and it appears that it has changed a little since I did it. What Ksum has written is spot on. I use the 2-step verification so extra steps are indeed needed. If you create a special account just for HS then I do not think the 2-step is necessary either.

Thanks Ksum for all the work to get this all straightened out.

Comment

Personal needs differ per person. My primary reasons for using an email account just for HomeSeer are:
                    • There will be less traffic for HomeSeer to analyze (I get many emails a day and this account gets none outside those I send.)
                    • I won't receive incoming messages in my main account
                      • lower personal annoyance
                      • less to delete
                      • no need to set up a filter
                      • I can keep it off my phone/data plan if I need to
                    • I know from the address that this is from an event in my HomeSeer instance - Nothing else uses this address
                    • My wife knows where this is from - the more important reason!
                    Karl S
                    HS4Pro on Windows 10
                    1070 Devices
                    56 Z-Wave Nodes
                    104 Events

Comment

Ksum,

I too have a dedicated gmail account so is it still necessary to use two step verification? If not what would be the change in the setup screen for homeseer? Thanks again !!!!! Rick

Comment

It is not necessary in my mind, Rick. Especially if you have Recovery accounts set up. As I have said, others may not be of the same belief.
                        Karl S
                        HS4Pro on Windows 10
                        1070 Devices
                        56 Z-Wave Nodes
                        104 Events

Comment

Cowinger,

I set up my gmail in homeseer as you showed in the link on page one post two (your first post) and no go. Your setup uses ssl? It didn't work and in my gmail account I received a security notice. Should I not use this setup method and go with Ksum's setup information?
                          Last edited by Rick Bonari; April 12, 2018, 09:54 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

Cowinger,

I enabled "allow less secure sites" and email send properly from an event. Is it preferable to use the SSL method instead of the SMTP method? Thanks again....Rick

Comment

Comment

I am perplexed as to why everyone is having these problems. I mostly use 2-step verification because I sometimes use the same account for personal as I do for HS and because it is just more secure. Not using the most secure method these days is just too dangerous.

I have several events that send an email to me from the simple of battery levels to the complex of intruder alert emails.

All of the gmail accounts have to be made and changed from a computer not a phone. Google checks to make sure they are legitimate especially if you have 2-step enabled. It rings your phone and requires a code that they send you as a message to your phone.

Maybe the difference is the the 2-step verification. Google may just require this some how for HS, not sure. I have 4 accounts that work great using 2-step.

This is now becoming very confusing because of how mine works and why you guys are not able to make it work.

I am going to make yet another account and I am going to see what is that is making this so different.
                                Last edited by cowinger; April 12, 2018, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X