Eclipse August 20th, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eclipse August 20th, 2017

This article is related to a current event in the United States: the solar eclipse of August 21, 2017Solar eclipse of August 21, 2017[ATTACH]62886[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH]62887[/ATTACH]

How to View a Solar Eclipse Without Damaging Your Eyes
    By Calla Cofield, Space.com Senior Writer | August 19, 2017 11:48am ET
    Eye protection for looking at the sun

Looking directly at the sun without eye protection can cause serious eye damage or blindness. But there are ways to safely observe the sun. During a partial solar eclipse, people often use pinhole cameras to watch the progress of the moon across the sun's surface (pinhole cameras are easy to make at home). This is an "indirect" way of observing the sun, because the viewer sees only a projection of the sun and the moon.

To view the sun directly (and safely), use "solar-viewing glasses" or "eclipse glasses" or "personal solar filters" (these are all names for the same thing), according to the safety recommendations from NASA. The "lenses" of solar-viewing glasses are made from special-purpose solar filters that are hundreds of thousands of times darker than regular sunglasses, according to Rick Fienberg, press officer for the American Astronomical Society (AAS). These glasses are so dark that the face of the sun should be the only thing visible through them, Fienberg said. Solar-viewing glasses can be used to view a solar eclipse, or to look for sunspots on the sun's surface.

But beware! NASA and the AAS recommend that solar-viewing or eclipse glasses meet the current international standard: ISO 12312-2. Some older solar-viewing glasses may meet previous standards for eye protection, but not the new international standard, Fienberg said.

"Manufacturers that meet this standard include Rainbow Symphony, American Paper Optics and Thousand Oaks Optical," according to the information sheet on safe eclipse viewing. (Click any of the company links to find out how to purchase eclipse glasses). "Homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses, even very dark ones, are not safe for looking at the sun."

Fienberg said some manufacturers are making solar-viewing glasses with plastic frames, rather than the traditional paper frames. While these may look like regular sunglasses, do not be mistaken. Sunglasses are never a substitute for solar-viewing glasses. Fienberg said some people may even try to view the sun through two or three pairs of sunglasses in an attempt to replicate the protective power of real solar-viewing glasses; however, even multiple pairs of sunglasses will not protect your eyes from sun damage.

Telescopes, cameras, binoculars and other optical devices need their own solar filters. Solar-viewing glasses are not a substitute for a proper solar filter on magnification devices. Never view the disk of the sun through a telescope, binoculars or camera without a proper solar filter. Solar-viewing glasses are not powerful enough to protect your eyes from magnified sunlight. Even if you are wearing solar-viewing glasses, viewing the disk of the sun through a magnification device will result in serious eye damage if the device is not equipped with a proper solar filter, according to the viewing safety sheet.

"The concentrated solar rays will damage the filter and enter your eye(s), causing serious injury," according to the safety recommendations. "Seek expert advice from an astronomer before using a solar filter with a camera, a telescope, binoculars, or any other optical device."

Fienberg said there is no need for skywatchers to use a telescope during the eclipse, but a pair of binoculars can be helpful during totality. But, as per the recommendations, do not attempt to look at the disk of the sun through binoculars, even with solar-viewing glasses.

The safety sheet offers these tips regarding solar filters/eclipse glasses/solar viewers:

[ATTACH]62888[/ATTACH]Safety during totalityBaily's beads and diamond rings

The AAS and NASA are expecting huge crowds to flock to the path of totality for the 2017 total solar eclipse, including more experienced eclipse watchers. These seasoned observers may start shouting "Baily's beads!" when the spots of light appear at the edge of the moon. As the eclipse nears totality, people may also shout "Diamond ring!" Fienberg explains that when only one "bead" is still visible at the edge of the moon just before totality, it will glow like a diamond, and the red corona of the sun will create a circular band of light. Together, they will look like a diamond ring.

Experienced observers may decide to look at the eclipse with the naked eye just before the sun is completely covered by the moon, when the diamond ring appears.

"If you're in a group you'll hear people start screaming 'Diamond ring! Diamond ring! Filters off!'" Fienberg said. "If you're paying strict attention to the recommendation that you should not look at the sun without a filter, when any part of the bright face is still visible, you'll wonder if all those people are going blind, but they're not. The reason they're not is because it only lasts a second or so, and then it's gone and you see the corona, and its dark and its spectacular and beautiful."

While you may see some people removing their solar-viewing glasses before the eclipse reaches totality, this is not recommended by the official eclipse-viewing guide from NASA and the AAS.

What you'll see during a total solar eclipsepinhole projector [ATTACH]62889[/ATTACH]

Click on this link to put your zip code in to see the best time for viewing the eclipse.

What time is the eclipse?

The point of greatest duration is where totality lasts the longest along the very center of the path of totality. The greatest duration during the Aug. 21 eclipse is 2 minutes, 40.2 seconds near Makanda, Illinois. Carbondale, Illinois, is the closest large town and will experience 2 minutes, 37 seconds of totality.

The Faroe Islands experienced a total solar eclipse in 2015.

[ATTACH]62890[/ATTACH]

Ahead of Monday's eclipse in the US, here are four tips from the Faroe Islands in the North Atlantic, which experienced one in 2015.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Excellent write-up Pete, thanks for the information

I live in White House, TN, it is a fairly small town roughly 15 miles south of the Tennessee-Kentucky boarder. The town is normally home to some 12,000 residents, however that started to change drastically this past weekend, when flocks of people started to roll in on Saturday and Sunday. Since White House is located right off interstate 65, and highway 31 splits the town, we are expected to see our small town swell to, well the early counts said 30,000 to 40,000 now they are up over 100,000 and beyond. Nashville is expecting 500,000 to 1,000,000 visitors. I am not sure anyone really knows... What I do know is all of our local hotels are full, since we are right off the interstate, we have 5 hotels sprinkled in close proximity. The parking lots to these hotels have cars from New York, California, Texas, etc... I hope the weather cooperates, it is beautiful right now, hope it holds. We have a saying about the weather in Tennessee, if you do not like the weather right now, wait a few minutes, it is probably going to change.

Since I work in Nashville, I decided to take a vacation day to hopefully stay out of the epic traffic that will most likely occur on some of our interstates. My home is actually not to far from the center line and will be viewing the event from my back yard with family and friends. I hope your viewing opportunities are great and hope you are able to view the event with family and friends.

Good luck everyone.
    Billy

Comment

It peak here in about 12 minutes. I'm ready!
      Attached Files
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Saw eclipse (partial near Chicago) here in the Midwest just fine even with the clouds a few minutes ago.

Wondrous sight!
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

well, we're past peak now. The sun looked like a crescent moon but that's about it. Outside, it was only a tiny bit darker here. HOWEVER, NH will be in the path for a total eclipse with the next one (2024). I just need to hang on to my glasses!

Comment

My wife and are are visiting New Orleans. We got to see the eclipse here 75% of total. It was pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Eclipse was about 70-75% here as well. Made a pinhole viewer from a box that worked amazingly well. On the other hand, even the light coming through the spaces between the leaves of a tree worked as a projector!
              Attached Files
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It pretty much rained here in the Twin Cities. Heck, I have seen thunderstorms make it darker than what we got.

Cool natural phenomenon though!
                HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

A very clear sky in White House, not a cloud to be seen, Nashville had a few clouds that parted just before the big event...

We took a few pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 Eclipse 01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1191980

Name:	2017 Eclipse 02.jpg
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1191981

Name:	2017 Eclipse 03.jpg
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1191982

Totality

Name:	2017 Eclipse.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1191983

Captured this picture of the Eclipse from News Channel 5 South Skycam

Name:	2017 Eclipse Skycam South 1.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1191984

Captured this picture of the approaching darkness from News Channel 5 North Skycam

Name:	2017 Eclipse  Skycam North 1.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1191985

We had a great time watching the eclipse, it was a quite hot here. The temperature is was hovering around 98 with a heat index of over 100.

I hope your experience was a great one.
                  Billy

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    Eclipse was about 70-75% here as well. Made a pinhole viewer from a box that worked amazingly well. On the other hand, even the light coming through the spaces between the leaves of a tree worked as a projector!

That's the coolest thing I've seen all week! I would have never thought of that. I was working under trees all day! Tree camera obscura.

Here in MA it just got a bit darker (and cooler!) but with a different sort of ambiance than is normally associated with cloud cover. I have shade 5 lenses for my goggles that that I use for plasma and multi-gas cutting which I put on to glance from time to time up toward the luminous orb but it was rather uneventful. I looked into getting shade 14 lenses for my goggles but they are few and far between. Not sure why you need shade 14. It's odd because shade 5 is rated for looking at things hotter than the surface of the sun. And I'm not talking about my friend Violet for once when using that saying. Last time we had a solar eclipse of some sort (1992?) I looked through a CD. It was a little too dim but I could make it out well enough.
                    Last edited by S-F; September 5, 2017, 05:15 PM.
                    Originally posted by rprade
                    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Well that eclipse was neat, weird, and spectacular all at the same time. The wife and I drove up to the east side of Savage Gulf, TN this morning as this was in the total eclipse area. Did a waterfall hike and came back to the parking lot with our reclining lawn chairs and enjoyed the full eclipse. I found the darkness as intriguing if not more so than the total eclipse. It got so dark that the street lights came on. Funny story, as we were laying back in our chair a car pulled into the spot next to use and 5 twenty somethings jumped out. After talking we found out they just arrived from Chicago where they left this morning and were heading back just after the eclipse. Talk about a road trip.

Comment

Flew to Missouri dead center of path of totality, perfectly clear skies. Awesome! Crickets started chirping. Temperatur dropped at least 10 degrees. Sunset like skies all around, 360 degrees. Truly a beautiful sight.
                        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

This guy ruined my shot in Montreal (58.3%)...
                          Attached Files

Comment

It was the second time in my life I had seen an eclipse. Amazing stuff even watching the partial eclipse here via a cloudy sky.

Personally here made a small shadow box held up with little alligator hands. (from electronics bench).

First time was in the early 1960's.

The grade school class project was to make little shadow boxes.

@Billy ...favorite fishing spot / place in the 1970's was Bull Shoals Lake. I could fish for hours and never see anybody else on the lake back then.
                            Last edited by Pete; August 22, 2017, 07:07 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                            X