Homeseer and Security System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer and Security System

I'm trying to decide on what security system I should purchase to go along with my Homeseer / z-wave set up. I'm looking for basic alarm features, wired and wireless and would like to have some interface to check the status through HS. I would also like to have the system SMS, IM or email me if there is an alarm triggered.

I like the ELK products, but don't want to spend that much $$ if possible. I'm not really sure I'd need all the features in the Elk with HS running most of the automation.

Thanks for the help!<o =""></o>
    Last edited by ; October 18, 2005, 01:38 PM.

I am also in the market to purchase a security system for my new home. The foundation is just now being poored so it would be nice to decide on a system before the framing starts. I would like this system to communicate to HS and then on to MainLobby. Additional requirements would be 48 zone support, smoke detectors, door bell, and be able to use MainLobby to punch in my security code.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Stan

Comment

Originally posted by cgofish23
      I'm trying to decide on what security system I should purchase to go along with my Homeseer / z-wave set up. I'm looking for basic alarm features, wired and wireless and would like to have some interface to check the status through HS. I would also like to have the system SMS, IM or email me if there is an alarm triggered.

I like the ELK products, but don't want to spend that much $$ if possible. I'm not really sure I'd need all the features in the Elk with HS running most of the automation.

Thanks for the help!<o =""></o>
      Check out Napco and Caddx posts. Both of these are affordable units that can connect via an available HS plugin.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by sforeman00
        I am also in the market to purchase a security system for my new home. The foundation is just now being poored so it would be nice to decide on a system before the framing starts. I would like this system to communicate to HS and then on to MainLobby. Additional requirements would be 48 zone support, smoke detectors, door bell, and be able to use MainLobby to punch in my security code.

Stan
        Check out Napco and Caddx posts. Both of these are affordable units that can connect via an available HS plugin. The ELK is the latest and many really like it but can get expensive when considering all the add ons. As far as Main Lobby goes, if you can arm in via HS you can arm it via ML.

Comment

If you do want to be able to disarm via ML, then make sure you have an alternative, if the system is armed and your PC is glitched for any reason, then you will have to have some way to switch the alarm off.

Comment

Originally posted by sforeman00

Stan
            I am not so sure you need to decide upon a system right away- but you should definitely get cracking on what you want wired and where.

I imagine in 10 years we won't need any wired. Speakers, microphones, PCs and alarm systems will be entirely wireless. Until that point- plan carefully.
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

> I imagine in 10 years we won't need any wired. Speakers, microphones, PCs and alarm systems will be entirely wireless. Until that point- plan carefully.

I wish that would be true, but I don't think so, unless of course we can change the Laws of Physics. Wired might be with us longer than you think.

Anyway, check out the HAI panels. They work great, integrate with HomeSeer very good, and the company continues to come out with new security ideas. They will soo be adding the ability to monitor videos on their touchscreen panels.

Comment

Originally posted by anogee
                I wish that would be true, but I don't think so, unless of course we can change the Laws of Physics. Wired might be with us longer than you think.
                Do look now but there are wireless security sytems available now.

http://www.smarthome.com/73902.html
                http://www.techworld.com/mobility/fe...?FeatureID=724

Comment

Wireless will be natural in a few years time, but until then, batteries with a finite life are the reality, and if you have a lot of sensors, then you have a lot of batteries that need changing. If you can bear the up-front investment, then wired is much less maintenance.

And if you're on a new build, then the cost differential is lower

Comment

I think wireless security systems are great. Have one myself. (Although I'm not sure I'm looking forward to 5-years down the road when all the batteries start needing to be replaced.) For small pieces of data, wireless is great. Even for large chunks of data, like Wi-Fi, wireless is great, but total bandwidth is limited, and we are at the point of squeezing about the most data capacity we can from a given bandwidth.

Comment

5 years for sensor batteries is much more than I've experienced. 3-6 months is all I'm getting for wireless installs I've been involved with. 5 years would make a big difference

Comment

At that stage of construction a hardwired system is the way to go. Magnetic sensors are about 2 bucks and wire is really inexpensive. You should be able to wire the entire house including the horn that isn't wireless yet and it will cost about the same as 3 wireless sensors. And they are alot less obvious which gives a hardwired system a higher WAF. Don't forget to run smurf tubing from the attic to the basement, for future wired projects!

Comment

Hard wire systems are the best .One of the best things you can do for your Alarm system is to bury the incoming Phone and Cable lines,put the access boxs inside,if they are cut then dial out or e-mail will do you no good.

Zap
                          -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
                          Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
                          HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
                          W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
                          Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
                          Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

That is a great idea but here the phone and cable company won't hook you up if they can't disconnect you. All you can do is ask.
                            Dave

Comment

They can cut you off at the pole or box.if nothing else have then put the boxs up high so they have to use a ladder ( Oh I forgot they probably Union )
                              the main thing is to make it as unaccessabe as possible.besides all they have do is ask, Iam sure you will let then in with the proper ID.And just remember it is YOUR land,YOUR house,and YOU are the paying customer! Just remind than that they are cell phones and satellite TV companys and they would be glad to take your money.

ZAP
                              -Mike-

-Home automation powered by the wind and sun-
                              Zotac 9300g-Q9400s-4gb ram-Intel 120 SSD-MS XP
                              HS 2.5.0.20, BLlan,BLweather,MCSXap,Jon00 graphing,Jon00 Whois,Snevl/Ten WeatherAlerts
                              W2c,Ztroller,z-wave+18,Q100D's,Silex 3000gb
                              Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 on top of Xenserve
                              Zoneminder 1.24.2 - Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Zotac D525 atom

Comment

Working...
                              X