Transition from Life360 to HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
    I'm looking into this, and thinking how best to handle it. The one way is like you described with a VS per user/place. However I was also thinking of a user being the device and instead of on/off having each place be the toggle. So a device (user) wouldn't be on/off they would be John Home/Work/Store/Etc. Or do the same as PHLocation and there's a root device being the user and each location would be a sub-device. And the user would be near/far to each location. Dunno...

Once this is a "plugin" I think that's all doable, but with it being "external" right now that makes it difficult as I can't (or don't know how yet) create the devices and configure them. This piece will just take more time.
    Like the idea of having a user as the root and all places they attend as child devices. Something like Arrived and In Route.

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
      I've added each family member as a user at myhs, and each has an ifttt account. When they trigger a zone it runs a specific event for that person setting their occupancy or lack of. It's $24 a year for the premium myhs, which is less than I pay for life360 and well worth it.
      Yes that is also a great way of doing it. Here's my 2cents worth on the whole geofence saga based on my own experiences.

Most Reliable so far has been egiGeoFence (Android) and PHLocation plugin with MyHS account (single or multiple both work well). The downside is each phone must be touched/configured and the configuration the first couple times is kinda complicated. I'm confident the other phone apps are just as reliable and work as well with the PHLocation plugin. The primary weakness is MyHS availability. This is my primary setup for my phone and wife's phone. It's been a real hassle to get the phones from the kids to setup. So for myself I use a combo of PHLocation and Life360.

IFTTT/Life360 both suffer from the same reliability issues. They are both somewhat hit or miss on their triggering and lag.

IFTTT requires multiple IFTTT user accounts each managed individually so each phone needs to be touched. Not very complicated setup, just a hassle if you're talking about multiple devices and trying to pry a phone from a teenagers hands. This is the same setup issue as using any phone app with a direct connection such as using PHLocation.

Life360 will work with the Free or Paid version the only difference is the ability to setup unlimited geofences with the paid version. Paid or Free both suffer from lag of update time. I have watched the lag through the phone and web interface and sometimes it's amusing when you know people are in the same car and they are showing several miles apart. Benefits of Life360 is you setup your "Primary" account and then "Invite" others to join your circle. They get a MMS with a link, sign up and then they are in your circle and you can configure from a central location the geofences and tracking setup. Easy setup and easy maintenance is the benefit of Life360.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
        Like the idea of having a user as the root and all places they attend as child devices. Something like Arrived and In Route.
        I like the root/child approach as well because there's a TON of information available from Life360....

Location (place)
        Address
        LAT/LONG
        Battery level
        Battery isCharging?
        Stationary/Moving
        Wifi on/off

And a lot more that's available.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
          Life360 will work with the Free or Paid version the only difference is the ability to setup unlimited geofences with the paid version. Paid or Free both suffer from lag of update time. I have watched the lag through the phone and web interface and sometimes it's amusing when you know people are in the same car and they are showing several miles apart. Benefits of Life360 is you setup your "Primary" account and then "Invite" others to join your circle. They get a MMS with a link, sign up and then they are in your circle and you can configure from a central location the geofences and tracking setup. Easy setup and easy maintenance is the benefit of Life360.
          I have the paid version which like you said gives you unlimited places and is very reasonable at only $25/Year and that is it for all users in the circle. I see a very small lag time with mine and it is neat to watch the movement of the vehicle as it goes down the road and if you zoom in it turns into a rendering like you get with google earth.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
            I have the paid version which like you said gives you unlimited places and is very reasonable at only $25/Year and that is it for all users in the circle. I see a very small lag time with mine and it is neat to watch the movement of the vehicle as it goes down the road and if you zoom in it turns into a rendering like you get with google earth.
            I've started the following new thread specifically for Life360. Time to stop Hijacking the IFTTT forum

https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...89&postcount=1

Comment

Working...
            X