Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First I have to say, I love this community. Great support from all the members.

My problem. I have two Venstar T1700 thermostats installed and running Insteon plugin 1.1.52.1 with HS 2.3.0.19.

I installed this script and it works beautifully for getting the data from the thermostats but it doesn't work when trying to set changes to the thermostats. The buttons on device screen don't do anything and have tried

Code:
    "&hs.plugin("Insteon").ExtDev_TransmitToExternalDevice(TStat1, InsteonFlags, &H68, &H1) ' Cmd1 = Temp Up, Cmd2 = 1 (1 deg up)"
    in the Immediate Script Command to no avail.

Similiar to what others have seen, I see

Code:
    "10/16/2009 4:00:29 PM ~!~Insteon~!~ExtDev_TransmitToExternalDevice received transmit request:"
    with no other data when I start the Immediate Script Command. Is it passing the parameters correctly?

I can send logs but not sure what to filter to be helpful... maybe the Insteon address or just "TStat"?

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

Comment

I'm back...

Hi all,

I moved in February and haven't checked back in on this forum until now. I hope you've been able to resolve the problems you've been having with the Insteon thermostats.

I noticed today that Smarthome released the new thermostat adapters v2.0, and will give (I think) an $80 credit back for the old version. They promise to address man of the shortcomings I and others saw. I'm kicking around the idea of trying these. Or maybe I'll go with the z-wave based "Trane" Schlage-Link thermostats. Does anybody have any experience with either of these yet?

Whatever I do, if I have to write or modify software I will share it with the group.

Happy Thermostating (thermostatting?)

-John Godman

Comment

Originally posted by jgodman View Post
        Or maybe I'll go with the z-wave based "Trane" Schlage-Link thermostats. Does anybody have any experience with either of these yet?

Whatever I do, if I have to write or modify software I will share it with the group.

Happy Thermostating (thermostatting?)

-John Godman
        There are dozens if not hundreds of users using one of the many Z-Wave stats but you would need to read in the Z-Wave forums for info on these.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Does the script provide support for the Venstar Humidity Control module for Venstar Thermostats?

http://www.smarthome.com/30413A/Ther...ACC0430/p.aspx

Meaning, will the script display relative humidity % in homeseer if it detects the module?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Raven_ View Post
            Does the script provide support for the Venstar Humidity Control module for Venstar Thermostats?

Meaning, will the script display relative humidity % in HomeSeer if it detects the module?

Thanks
            Raven,
            I would ask Mark about support for this. He's been modifying the Insteon plugin and may include support for this hardware.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Humidity...

Originally posted by Raven_ View Post

Meaning, will the script display relative humidity % in homeseer if it detects the module?

Thanks

It doesn't -- but it might be easy to add code to the script for this. I never did because I didn't have the thermostats that supported it. See reply #4 in this thread...

-John

Comment

So with the new functionalities of v2.0 (Reports changes in temp, temp setpoints, mode, and fan mode; Controller functionality on heat call, cool call, and fan call (auto & manual ON); Supports +1, -1 degree on incremental bright/dim commands), is it easier now for Homeseer to control the thermostats?

http://wiki.smarthome.com/index.php?...NSTEON_Devices

I know just adding the dvice to Homeseer isn't enough, but can the script be easier to implement/use?

Comment

Originally posted by leerogers View Post
                  ...can the script be easier to implement/use?

Yes, I think it may be. I looked at the v2.0 specs and decided to order them and give them a try. I also got an ISY-99 (in a package with the ELK M1 alarm system) so I will be testing both ways of controlling the stats -- through the built-in ISY capability, and of course modifying the script to control the stats from HS. I'll let you guys know what results I get. And, by all means, if anybody else gets the new v2.0 units please let us know how it goes.

-John

Comment

Yes, I think it may be. I looked at the v2.0 specs and decided to order them and give them a try. I also got an ISY-99 (in a package with the ELK M1 alarm system) so I will be testing both ways of controlling the stats -- through the built-in ISY capability, and of course modifying the script to control the stats from HS. I'll let you guys know what results I get. And, by all means, if anybody else gets the new v2.0 units please let us know how it goes.

-John
                    Hey John. Did you look at the new specs and the ISY capability? How did it go?

Comment

New Insteon Tstats v2.0 and HS

Hey John. Did you look at the new specs and the ISY capability? How did it go?
                      Hi all,

I did get the new Insteon v2 thermostat adapters, along with an ELK M1-gold alarm package that came with an ISY-99i. I've just finally gotten a chance to do a very basic installation of the alarm system, and soon I'll be moving on to more interesting home automation stuff. So, what I have to figure out (not just for the thermostats, but for all the home automation stuff) is which things I want HS to do and which I want the ISY to do.

With two little kids taking all my time these days, I haven't had much time to experiment, but I did try these things "out of the box" and found:

- ISY seems to work with the tstats fine -- will need to experiment more
                      - my old HS script does *not* seem to work with the new tstats -- it receives a status update but I can't control anything. I'll have to debug and see what's going on
                      - ISY-ELK M1 integration seems weak -- I'm going to try some of the HS ELK plug-ins
                      - overall, at first glance, it looks like the ISY is easier to start up with, but that HS would be more customizable with programming

I can only assume that the Insteon tstats v2 don't work with the script because they now use a different set of commands than the ones I'm sending, which were dated 9/27/2007.

**If anyone has the latest or more recent Insteon command tables and can send them to me I'd be happy to update the script for you guys -- otherwise I can try to reverse engineer, but can't promise anything.**

Thanks,

John

john.f.godman"at"gmail"dot com"

Comment

Hi all,

I did get the new Insteon v2 thermostat adapters, along with an ELK M1-gold alarm package that came with an ISY-99i. I've just finally gotten a chance to do a very basic installation of the alarm system, and soon I'll be moving on to more interesting home automation stuff. So, what I have to figure out (not just for the thermostats, but for all the home automation stuff) is which things I want HS to do and which I want the ISY to do.

With two little kids taking all my time these days, I haven't had much time to experiment, but I did try these things "out of the box" and found:

- ISY seems to work with the tstats fine -- will need to experiment more
                        - my old HS script does *not* seem to work with the new tstats -- it receives a status update but I can't control anything. I'll have to debug and see what's going on
                        - ISY-ELK M1 integration seems weak -- I'm going to try some of the HS ELK plug-ins
                        - overall, at first glance, it looks like the ISY is easier to start up with, but that HS would be more customizable with programming

I can only assume that the Insteon tstats v2 don't work with the script because they now use a different set of commands than the ones I'm sending, which were dated 9/27/2007.

**If anyone has the latest or more recent Insteon command tables and can send them to me I'd be happy to update the script for you guys -- otherwise I can try to reverse engineer, but can't promise anything.**

Thanks,

John

john.f.godman"at"gmail"dot com"
                        Thanks John.

Would the command tables be with Smarthome or something I have in my current installation?

Comment

Thanks John.

Would the command tables be with Smarthome or something I have in my current installation?

I'm pretty sure they come from the Smarthome SDK -- I don't have it but someone was kind enough to send me the PDF which helped me out a lot. Basically, it's just a listing of all the commands you can send to and receive from each Insteon device.

Since I'm not a professional developer and don't intend to make a product to sell, I don't think I will invest in the SDK. But, if someone will share it with me (or even just tell me what the latest thermostat codes are) it would help.

By the way, it is possible that the codes have not changed at all and the reason my script isn't working with the v2 thermostats is something else entirely. I will debug as soon as I get a chance -- but I know the new thermostats support some additional capabilities so I'm guessing there may be changes to the commands to support these. If so, I'll try and implement in a new version of the script. In the end, if I can't get the script working I'll try using the ISY to control the thermostats and then link HS to the ISY.

-John

Comment

I'm pretty sure they come from the Smarthome SDK -- I don't have it but someone was kind enough to send me the PDF which helped me out a lot. Basically, it's just a listing of all the commands you can send to and receive from each Insteon device.

Since I'm not a professional developer and don't intend to make a product to sell, I don't think I will invest in the SDK. But, if someone will share it with me (or even just tell me what the latest thermostat codes are) it would help.

By the way, it is possible that the codes have not changed at all and the reason my script isn't working with the v2 thermostats is something else entirely. I will debug as soon as I get a chance -- but I know the new thermostats support some additional capabilities so I'm guessing there may be changes to the commands to support these. If so, I'll try and implement in a new version of the script. In the end, if I can't get the script working I'll try using the ISY to control the thermostats and then link HS to the ISY.

-John
                            Unfortunately, I don't have access to the SDK. I am hoping that someone else can provide it.
                            Last edited by leerogers; April 7, 2010, 03:44 PM.

Comment

-John

It appears that I can still set setpoints (through events) and poll data from the v2 thermostats with your existing script. One thing I want to tackle is to separate the "mode", "temp", "heatset", and "coolset" into separate devices/variables. Is this easly done or has someone already done this? Would love to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

It appears that I can still set setpoints (through events) and poll data from the v2 thermostats with your existing script. One thing I want to tackle is to separate the "mode", "temp", "heatset", and "coolset" into separate devices/variables. Is this easly done or has someone already done this? Would love to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Thanks for any help.

Do you mean you want to have separate HS devices listed for each of those items? So, a given thermostat would have four (or more) devices listed in HS?

Interesting. I just took a look at one of the ELK-M1 plug-ins and that is what they do with the ELK thermostats (although I don't have any, it created the devices automatically). Strangely, I went to a great deal of trouble to avoid just that -- when I first wrote the script I wanted all the information about the thermostat to be included in one HS "device." In order to keep persistent data about those four vaiables in HS, I had to basically split out the four-byte "DeviceValue" and use one byte for each. It would have been much easier to do this with separate HS devices, but I thought that one physical device (the thermostat) should appear as one device in HS.

Not a big deal to separate though. Maybe I can do it in a future version.

Just curious, why do you want these to show up as separate HS devices? Is there something you can do with them that way that you couldn't if they were all kept in one device?

-John

Comment

Working...
                                X