Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback requested: Migrating to HomeSeer for ZWave

Hi

Some four years back I made the decision to install a few (roughly 6) ZWave devices and I purchased the ControlThink product to control them all as the price point was good and my needs are very simple.

I've now reached the point where I need to look at alternatives as development of my much loved ControlThink product as development seems to have come to an end and well, it feels very fragile these days. Naturally, this could be due to bad Intermatic modules but the overall behavior of the system concerns me.

With the announcement of the HomeTroller Mini, I'm very interested in pursuing this as a viable replacement option. I have a few questions though and and any input would be appreciated:
    • Has anyone migrated from a ControlThink network to a HomeSeer one as I'd hate to have to go through re-learning every device?
    • Does teh HomeSeer product support events relative to dawn and dusk?
    • Can I get the node number s athis is pivotal to me controlling my network using RS-232?
    • Does HomeSeer play nice with the Leviton ZWave / RS-232 module?

Thanks

Z-wave is the way to go.. there should be no issues with the controller.. actually its usually erroneously perceived that the controller can have some problems when the z-wave network is not designed well.. ensure that all nodes are within 1st hop of and high signal strength of the controller otherwise make sure the 2 hop neighbors have 2-3 surrounding modules for the signals to bounce off.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen28 View Post

Has anyone migrated from a ControlThink network to a HomeSeer one as I'd hate to have to go through re-learning every device?
      Yes - you can use the ControlThink Stick as the controller with HomeSeer

Does the HomeSeer product support events relative to dawn and dusk?
      Yes - HomeSeer Supports Sunrise and SunSet, Absolute Time, Status, Manual, Value and Condition - very flexible
      Can I get the node numbers this is pivotal to me controlling my network using RS-232?
      Yes - you can see node numbers throught the software
      Does HomeSeer play nice with the Leviton ZWave / RS-232 module?
      See: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ighlight=rzc0p

Comment

[QUOTE=kaldoon;956543]Yes - you can use the ControlThink Stick as the controller with HomeSeer
        /QUOTE]

That wasn't what I was asking but it's a great piece of information. I was going to get a new USB stick to work with the mini.

The big question is, how would I migrate from a network controlled by ControlThink to one controlled by HomeSeer?

Comment

Okay....doesn't seem that anyone has done this.

How about migrating from any existing Z-Wave network to one controlled by HomeSeer? Can this be done without manually re-learning every device?

Comment

If you use the ControlThink Stick with HomeSeer as the controller you do have your network(Home ID and Node info live on that stick) - the problem becomes trying to transfer the network to another stick and making the new stick the primary - probably need to submit a help ticket and see what HST says.

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
              If you use the ControlThink Stick with HomeSeer as the controller you do have your network(Home ID and Node info live on that stick) - the problem becomes trying to transfer the network to another stick and making the new stick the primary - probably need to submit a help ticket and see what HST says.
              Hi

What I was really hoping to do was to have the HomeSeer device added to the existing ZWave network and then change its role to become the primary controller.

Comment

The ControlThink software only works with ControlThink Stick currently

Comment

Originally posted by kaldoon View Post
                  The ControlThink software only works with ControlThink Stick currently
                  And it's unlikely to change but I don't want to use the ThinkStick with HomeSeer.

So my theoretical steps would be:
                  • Add HomeTroller to my exisiting ControlThink network.
                  • ControlThink remains as master.
                  • Change role of the HomeTroller to ZWave primary. (The HomeTroller has its own ZWave stick.
                  • Remove the ControlThink PC from the network.

Comment

Working...
                  X