Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insteon PLM Plug-In Version 1.5.6 Beta (license required)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your input joegr. While I realize this is a possibility, I didn't have any of these communication issues with my PLC which makes me think the PLM should be able to operate in the same environment. I'm using the same outlet I had the PLC in and all SignaLincs and dual-band devices are in their same locations as well. Same number of other electronics plugged into the same outlets when the PLC was still working. So, I'm going to wait for my replacement to arrive tomorrow before I go the route of unplugging everything. I sure hope it doesn't come to that.

Can someone please explain to me the best way to poll the devices with my new PLM before I try to run the swap/replace function?

Thank you,
    Mike
    HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
    Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Originally posted by mrceolla View Post
      Can someone please explain to me the best way to poll the devices with my new PLM before I try to run the swap/replace function?
      if you connect the new plm and start hs, you should be able to poll the devices before the replace function
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Ok, thank you for that info Mark. However that was only 1/2 of my question. What is the best way to 'poll' the devices? I didn't see a 'Poll' button. Do I need to go into each of the devices and enable polling by setting 0 to 1 and then just wait? Do I reset comm data before doing this?

Basically, what's the best and/or easiest way to check polling on all of my devices?

Thanks,
        Mike
        HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
        Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Ok, thank you for that info Mark. However that was only 1/2 of my question. What is the best way to 'poll' the devices? I didn't see a 'Poll' button. Do I need to go into each of the devices and enable polling by setting 0 to 1 and then just wait? Do I reset comm data before doing this?

Basically, what's the best and/or easiest way to check polling on all of my devices?

Thanks,
          Mike
          just use the "poll device" btn from the hs status page. just show all your devices and poll everything.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
            just use the "poll device" btn from the hs status page. just show all your devices and poll everything.
            Oh, duh. I was looking for it in the plugin pages. Thank you!

Comment

Received my second one. Still doesn't work. :-( Now what?

WAIT.....

Comment

There's definitely something wrong with my first one. I can poll all of my devices with the 2nd one only if my dual-band plugin is on the opposite phase. Even with the dual-band plugin in that same position, PLM #1 still cannot polll all devices. My SignaLincs appear to be useless. (update: Just got off the phone with HomeSeer. My SignaLincs #2442 apparently do NOT work with the PLM. Wish I knew that sooner.) Not the end of the world but I don't understand why the SignaLincs don't work with the PLM as they did with my PLC. (update: I do now.)

Further evidence the 1st one was bad... When I put it into it's phase bridge checking mode by pressing the set button 4 times fast, the dual-band incorrectly reports its phase in relation to the PLM. It'll flash red when it's on the opposite phase and flash green when it's on the same phase. When using the 2nd PLM, the dual-band correctly reports it's phase.

So, if I must keep this configuration I will have to move 2 plugins in my setup. What is the best way to do this? I know there's a swap device function but can I swap to a device that is already in HomeSeer? How do I do this?

Mike

Comment

Also, I had previously deleted my motion sensor and door/window sensor from HomeSeer. I have my backed up inston.ini file. Is there an easy way to re-add them to HomeSeer and have the existing programming (events) that include those devices begin working again?

Thanks

Comment

[EDIT wrote this to respond to 66..I think the booster in your panel would be my next step. Got an electrician friend or relative?]

UGH... Well, the replacement had to be done to know for sure. The unfortunate thing is that despite nothing changing in your setup, the designed/manufactured PLM seems to not work correctly on your existing network the way you had it.

Your particular situation is unsual, Insteon was meant to help those of us that pulled most of our hair out getting x10 to work over the years.

I see the following major next steps with the following tradeoffs:

1) Revert to the PLC
                    + Ideally this will put you back where you were
                    But... Isolates you in Insteon (non ISY) plugin world. The existing insteon plugin can be used, but without fixes / new device adds.

2) Try 'infrastructure' changes to your house. You shouldn't have to, but that's what its come down to. You know you can get it to work with an extenstion cord... we don't want that answer but moving things has proven to work.

- Where the plm is plugged in now, its probably near a computer with plugin in peripherals that could be creating noise. Yank all you can and retest
                    - Look for plugin devices near where the boosterlink on the 'bad' phase. Same drill
                    - Install a signalinc booster in your electical panel or 220V appliance. The devices aren't that much but some require work in the panel. This is absolutely the best you can do, however no promises it will work. I have an x10 version in mine now and wanted to put this in, but the need hasn't popped up yet.
                    Paul

Comment

Thanks pbibm. I see you started replying before I could get my latest posts out. The new PLM seems to work. I can poll all devices with my dual-band plugin in place of a regular plugin on the opposite phase of the PLM. So now I just have to figure out how to exchange one device for the other as well as re-add my sensors. Any suggestions on that?

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
                        [EDIT wrote this to respond to 66..I think the booster in your panel would be my next step. Got an electrician friend or relative?]
                        What is this booster you speak of?

Comment

Thanks pbibm. I see you started replying before I could get my latest posts out. The new PLM seems to work. I can poll all devices with my dual-band plugin in place of a regular plugin on the opposite phase of the PLM. So now I just have to figure out how to exchange one device for the other as well as re-add my sensors. Any suggestions on that?
                          I haven't used sensors before and this is an unusually thorny problem. I invoke the name of the Insteon Overlord Mark?
                          Paul

Comment

What is this booster you speak of?
                            Sorry, I wrapped myself around an axel with all of the terms. The first item on the list. It installs in your electrical panel for your house. It may not boost, but it makes sure that signals travel both ways at the panel. The panel is the center of your electrical system, the best place for this to happen. It filters out non insteon noise as well.

If my current set up wasn't working as well as it was, I would be doing this also.

Paul
                            Paul

Comment

Yes, Mark, your input would be much appreciated...as always.

First off, I will be purchasing your plugin. Not only do you deserve it for your time put in on development but also for helping me out. Is the best/only place to purchase your plugin via the HomeSeer store? I wasn't sure how much they took out of that for commission and would be happy to purchase it directly or elsewhere.

1. I need to have two of my devices trade places.
                              2. I need to re-add my motion and door/window sensors back to HomeSeer.

I have a complete backup of my HS directory from before any of these swaps. Can I restore that directory and run the swap/replace function? I'm unsure about this because now all of my devices have the 2nd PLM's address in them AND the backup's last controller was my PLC.

Or would it be easier accomplish 1 and 2 with the current working copy?

Using the backup copy may only accomplish re-adding my sensors but it won't help with the swap of the 2 plugins.

Will the Replace Device function work if the 'new/replacement' device is currently registered in HomeSeer? If not, can I use the Replace Device function and insert a dummy address as a temporary placeholder or will a non-existant address cause that function to fail?

Finally, I think... The PLM swap/replace function completed successfully with my 2nd PLM however it reported that programming of one device failed and that I needed to program it manually. I can see that it still has my old PLM's address in the links. What's the best way to resolve this? Can I safely re-run the swap-replace function while being sure to enter the old PLM's address?

Thank you very much, I'm almost there!

Mike

Comment

Mike,

sounds like you are making progress. Unless you go and reread all the device links, you can't rollback the hs database or insteon.ini because they won't match your physical network/devices.

1. trade places? are you referring to the hs devices? you could use the hs tools function to swap devices that are linked to events, etc. make anyother backup before hand just in case.

2. just register the MS and TLs as new if possible. I would reset them as well to clear out old links. Or just reset them and then reprogram if you don't want to delete them from the plugin becuase of links to events.

the licenses are only avail it the hs store

i would definitely recommend a panel signal bridge (cheaper but requires panel work) or two APs (easy to install but cost more)
                                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                                X