No announcement yet.

I have a PI and RAZberry ZWave interface can I build my own Z-NET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay I was not quite sure what you meant on 8/15 that you were using the drivers (not HS3) and remotely... I thought once I installed the HS3 Pi OS it had drivers that were providing the middleware between the GPIO and the Ethernet interface so I didn't need the Homeseer software running. I didn't realize I needed HS3 running still as it's the conduit to the Ethernet adapter and provides port communications. Sorry, I was basically thinking serial to Ethernet middleware.

So my next step is to get the HS3 system online and the connect the Z-NET device as the controller then migrate a node for testing. Btw I am documenting this entire process to post here later as reference for others. I will need them anyway since I have another Pi I want to test as a remote controller in the same fashion.

Comment

I was basically thinking serial to Ethernet middleware.
      It is and isn't. You are running a Linux Homeseer 3 plugin remotely talking to a Linux Homeseer 3 mothership.

So my next step is to get the HS3 system online and the connect the Z-Net device as the controller then migrate a node for testing.
      Rewind here. Redid your quote below.

So my next step is to get the HS3 Linux system online and the connect the RPi - Linux with Mono/GPIO Z-Wave card device as the controller then migrate a node for testing.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Ah yes I see what you are saying. So yes my next step is to get my new HS3 system built and running. Then connect the RPi with GPIO Z-Wave card device running as the controller then begin to migrate nodes.

After a few nodes, I need to optimize the nodes and fully optimize the network to ensure the GPIO Z-Wave card is fully functional.

Is that correct?

Comment

...next step is to get my new Linux based HS3 system built and running.
          Last edited by Pete; August 21, 2015, 03:07 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I like it Pete. Thanks for the help with this. I should have the new server up and running in the next week or so then I will add this Pi to it. If I run into a snag I will post here.

Comment

So you really think Linux is the way to go on this huh? I was thinking Windows 10 just because I use vbscript and powers hell a lot with events, Mostly to send email notifications using stunnel and blat to send messages to gmail. Most everything else is all handled within Homeseer.

I am open to possibilities.

Comment

Well, it is up to you and what you feel more comfortable with.

Homeseer 3 management is all via the browser interface. There is no GUI like in Homeseer 2 for it anymore.

Try them both.

The add of the GPIO Z-Wave Plus card to the RPi will only work with the Linux Version of Homeseer 3.

For doing something similiar relating to using Z-Wave Plus in Windows it would be better then to purchase a Z-Net device or just use a Z-Wave Plus stick on your Windows computer.
                Last edited by Pete; August 21, 2015, 10:50 PM.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have a PI and RAZberry ZWave interface can I build my own Z-NET

Any possibly that I can use a WIFi module with this configuration?
                  Last edited by Johnnylawless; October 6, 2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

It would be nice if HomeSeer would sell a Z-Net Raspberry Pi SD Card image we could all purchase. I live in Australia and have the AU version of the Razberry card (which works perfectly with HomeSeer 3), it's just I can't buy an AU version of the Z-NET from HomeSeer but I could buy a copy of the OS and adapt it to work with my environment.

I'm wanting to migrate my main HomeSeer setup from a Raspberry Pi to a KVM virtual machine for more speed, multi nic redundancy, and long-term hardware compatibility. I still need a Z-Wave interface though...

Please consider making it available for sale.
                    Last edited by cytec; February 28, 2016, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cytec View Post
                      I live in Australia and have the AU version of the Razberry card (which works perfectly with HomeSeer 3)
                      Can you please explain how did you set it up? I read you have a script to make it work, but couldn't find the script itself.

Do you have HS3 on the same RPi? Cause I have Windows 7 pc running HS3, and z-wave setup on RPi3 using Razberry card.

Comment

I am still using the original Zee2 / RPi2 with the GPIO Razberry card.

The RPi3 should do much better.

Easy stuff.

1 - write Jessie lite to the SD card
                        2 - google configuring the Razberry GPIO card with an RPi
                        3 - install mono
                        4 - download and install Homeseer 3 on the RPi3.

There are numerous descriptions on the forum to do this. You cannot break anything and you already have your PC running HS3 on Windows 7.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

For configuration of the ZWave dot Me or any Z-Wave GPIO card do the following for Wheezy or Jessie:

Code:
                          rm -rf /boot/cmdline.txt
                          echo 'dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait Reboot' >> /boot/cmdline.txt
                          chmod 777 /boot/cmdline.txt
                          sed -i '/ttyAMA0 115200 vt100/d' /etc/inittab
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I'm wanting to migrate my main HomeSeer setup from a Raspberry Pi to a KVM virtual machine for more speed, multi nic redundancy, and long-term hardware compatibility. I still need a Z-Wave interface though...

You can DIY this today turning the RPi with Z Wave GPIO card talking to a virtual instance of Homeseer. Here just run Z-Wave remotely using the mono zwave server thing. Other users on the forum are running a serial tunnel which is similiar to what the ZNet does.

Purchasing the ZNet (custom application) would be a nice plug n play solution though.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              1 - write Jessie lite to the SD card
                              2 - google configuring the Razberry GPIO card with an RPi
                              3 - install mono
                              4 - download and install Homeseer 3 on the RPi3.
                              Thanks @Pete, so you are suggesting to have TWO HS instances running? I though I just need to install Z-Wave remote plug-in on PRi3?

Comment

No.

You just need to run the plugin. I suggested to install Homeseer 3 so it would be easier to run the plugin. You can too just copy the ZWave plugin to the remote RPi if you want.

There are two ways to use the GPIO ZWave card.

1 - Run the plugin remotely on the RPi talking to main Homeseer computer
                                mono HSPI_ZWave.exe server=ip of homeseer server

On the main Homeseer server you will see an active remote connection.

2 - use ser2net and create a serial to ethernet connection between the computers. Here you configure the main computer ZWave GUI to connect via the serial IP of the RPi with the GPIO card.

I am running the RPi Wheey to Ubuntu Linux on the main Homeseer Computer.

Thinking you can use ser2net between the RPi GPIO card computer and a windows computer running HS3.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X