Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3Pro as Master

Hi Everyone,

i'm about to make HS3Pro as master with others slave HS3Pro (see the attachment below).

there is :

- one pc with HS3 Pro as master and Lan.
    - 3 pc with HS3 Pro as slave and Lan too. Each pc (slave) have a Smartstick+ Z-wave.
    - These pc with SmartStick+ pair Z-Wave products and transmit over ethernet z-wave...

I don't know if possible to do this configuration. If yes, is there someone to tell me how can i do it please ?

I know that it exists a product like "Z-Net Z-wave interface" but i can't buy it (too expensive with customs duty).

Thanks a lot for your responses.

Inter-Rupteur
    Attached Files

Can you describe what you are trying to achieve with Three slave PC's

Are the zWave zones so far apart they can't interact?

I have a large property area and use zWave repeaters as a single network

I also use multiple routers to spread the bandwith for cameras vs devices vs video streaming vs cool stuff instead if multPile PC's

Devoir

Comment

Hi Devoir,

thank you for your return !!

So, my house is wired with Ethernet. My Master PC is in the basement. My house has 2 floors. In each floor, i put a mini PC. I know that i can use z-wave repeaters but i want to use just the z-wave product i need. And all of my products are not repeaters, just simple z-wave products. It's for that reason, i installed few PC with HS3pro in slave mode and want to use the Lan ! Slave PC will be gateway to the master...

So, how can i configure the Master to receive from slaves z-wave product (like Z-Net Z-wave) ?

Thanks a lot !
      Inter-Rupteur

Comment

Originally posted by inter-rupteur View Post
        Hi Devoir,

thank you for your return !!

So, my house is wired with Ethernet. My Master PC is in the basement. My house has 2 floors. In each floor, i put a mini PC. I know that i can use z-wave repeaters but i want to use just the z-wave product i need. And all of my products are not repeaters, just simple z-wave products. It's for that reason, i installed few PC with HS3pro in slave mode and want to use the Lan ! Slave PC will be gateway to the master...

So, how can i configure the Master to receive from slaves z-wave product (like Z-Net Z-wave) ?

Thanks a lot !
        Inter-Rupteur

I really don't think that you should need to do this. I would suggest having a single Z-Wave controller, somewhere close to the center of the house if possible. All wired Z-wave devices (outlets, light switches etc) are repeaters already. It's only battery sensor and lock type devices that don't repeat and therefore those will not extend your Z-wave network.

My house has Z-wave devices on 4 floors (Basement, Main, Upper and Attic) and I have my Z-wave controller (Z-Net in my case) in the coat closet on the Main floor. There are only 2 devices in the whole house that cannot see the Z-Net directly and they both use one hop via an outlet to make the route to/from the Z-Net. I am currently at about 40 wired and another 20 battery Z-Wave devices. I haven't seen any Z-Wave issues, other than a couple of failed child devices (luminance and temp on a couple of ancient devices that are long overdue for replacement) in a very long time.

There are plenty of people on this forum that have much larger houses with many more Z-Wave devices than me, who suffice on 1 HS3 PC and possibly 2 Z-Wave controllers (if they have distant outbuildings etc)

In summary, I really don't think you should need multiple PCs to each run HS3 with their own Z-Wave controller. Remember it is also possible to connect two (or more) Z-Wave controller interfaces to a single HS3 instance if you DO find that Z-wave mesh is not able to reach a few of the more distant devices.
        cheeryfool

Comment

If you think you need multiple Z-Wave interfaces then you can run two Z-Nets on your network with only one HS3 pc. This is a common solution for larger installs. A few users actually use two Z-Nets at two different locations with success. ie one at home and one at a vacation home.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Welcome to the Homeseer forum Inter-Rupteur.

Windows to windows HS3 you can just run the zwave executable for a remote Z-wave network. Linux to Linux also works. I have tested windows to linux and linux to windows and it doesn't work.

Remote Windows or Linux PC would run:

HSPI_ZWave.exe server=ipofmasterhs3

mono HSPI_ZWave.exe server=ipofmasterhs3

You will see it on the master hs3 as a remote z-wave interface.

Ideally if Linux to Windows worked you could just use an POE RPi2.

Picture attached is doing remote with X10. The HS3 box is in the attic and the remote X10 is one floor down from it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; February 4, 2016, 11:16 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm missing how it's cheaper to buy an HS3 license for every computer (and the hardware as well!) than to just get one HS3 license and Z-NETs as needed?

Comment

Thanks a lot for your responses Cheeryfool, Rupp, Pete and Mikedr.
                • Cheeryfool and Rupp : i know that the better way is to use Z-Net controller, but the price for me is too important.
                I explain to you :

on the Homeseer site, the price of the Z-net for Europe is 161.95$. You add the shipping between 20 to 40 $. You add too VAT about 20% on the price and shipping and finally tax from the shipper (UPS, fedex, etc...) about 20 to 50$... You anderstand now why i can't buy Z-net....
                • Pete : i don't know if your solution can work... Because all of the PCs are Windows system...
                • Mikedr : I know HS3 is expensive but more easy to buy it by the net as Z-Net (see the message above)
                Inter-Rupteur

Comment

Thanks a lot for your responses Cheeryfool, Rupp, Pete and Mikedr.
                  • Cheeryfool and Rupp : i know that the better way is to use Z-Net controller, but the price for me is too important.
                  I explain to you :

on the Homeseer site, the price of the Z-net for Europe is 161.95$. You add the shipping between 20 to 40 $. You add too VAT about 20% on the price and shipping and finally tax from the shipper (UPS, fedex, etc...) about 20 to 50$... You anderstand now why i can't buy Z-net....
                  • Pete : i don't know if your solution can work... Because all of the PCs are Windows system...
                  • Mikedr : I know HS3 is expensive but more easy to buy it by the net as Z-Net (see the message above)
                  Inter-Rupteur
                  Do you have such a large house that Z-Wave will not work with only one interface? Because it is a mesh network you might find that the nodes can communicate between the floors OK.

Comment

Cheeryfool and Rupp : i know that the better way is to use Z-Net controller, but the price for me is too important.

Inter-Rupteur
                    Bear in mind that HS3Pro licences are $600 EACH, unless you have an upgrade path or will wait for one of the 50% sales. Even standard HS3 licences are $250.

Your diagram shows 4 floors, each with an HS3 Pro PC and a Z-wave controller. The cheapest reliable Z-Wave controller is the HomeSeer SmartStick+ at $40.

4 HS3 Pro licences + 4 Smartstick+ = $2560 = madness!! And that's without PC hardware.

Install one HS3 Pro licence (if you have determined that you need the Pro version) on an existing or new cheap PC and buy one Z-wave interface (Smartstick+ or Z-Net) and you are thousands of $$$$ cheaper.

This is how the vast majority of users operate their Z-Wave network for HS3.

If you don't need a lot of plugins (max 5), you may find that the Zee S2 would suffice, This is $199 and includes the standard version of HS3 and is already a Z-Wave controller too. It's basically a Z-Net with the HS3 software built-in. This is the steal of the HA century, if it is adequate for your needs.
                    cheeryfool

Comment

i'm about to make HS3Pro as master with others slave HS3Pro
                      Out of curiosity, how are you planning on doing this? As far as I know, there's no master/slave functionality in HS3. Also, why would you get the Pro version for each one? The regular version would likely suffice for most "slave" locations.

Cheers
                      Al
                      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Do you have such a large house that Z-Wave will not work with only one interface? Because it is a mesh network you might find that the nodes can communicate between the floors OK.

Hi mrhappy,

large no, just reinforced concrete... So i have tested with RF (i know it's not the same with z-wave ==> mesh) and the result was very dirty !

Inter-Rupteur

Comment

@interupteur: please just buy extra znets to save your time and sanity i also live in a concrete house... I used to use 2 ztrollers (us) and 3 zwave.me uzb (eu) in the past, and now i use 1 us znet and 1 eu znet (with additional repeaters) even though i actually bought 2 znet for each frequencies.

Maybe you can look for ways to save on shipping or vat instead :0
                          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Bear in mind that HS3Pro licences are $600 EACH, unless you have an upgrade path or will wait for one of the 50% sales. Even standard HS3 licences are $250.

Your diagram shows 4 floors, each with an HS3 Pro PC and a Z-wave controller. The cheapest reliable Z-Wave controller is the HomeSeer SmartStick+ at $40.

4 HS3 Pro licences + 4 Smartstick+ = $2560 = madness!! And that's without PC hardware.

Install one HS3 Pro licence (if you have determined that you need the Pro version) on an existing or new cheap PC and buy one Z-wave interface (Smartstick+ or Z-Net) and you are thousands of $$$$ cheaper.

This is how the vast majority of users operate their Z-Wave network for HS3.

If you don't need a lot of plugins (max 5), you may find that the Zee S2 would suffice, This is $199 and includes the standard version of HS3 and is already a Z-Wave controller too. It's basically a Z-Net with the HS3 software built-in. This is the steal of the HA century, if it is adequate for your needs.

i do a mistake on the picture... it's just one HS3pro and the other are HS3. If i buy, i will wait for sales ! So the price wil be better than today !!!

So if i understood, i have only 2 solutions (the solution of HS3 Master/slave is not possible...). The only way is on my picture below...

Inter-Rupteur
                            Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X