Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

zwave toggle style switch brands and models...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zwave toggle style switch brands and models...

Ok so curious if we can get a list going of what there is out there and what you like/dont like.

I am going to have to replace all of my x10 togglelinc switches (which I love) as HS3 just doesnt play well with x10. (not a topic for here on the why, how, some working,etc please..)

I have
    45740 - Relay switch
    Pro:
    • Looks like a standard toggle
    • Controls 2 outdoor LED bulbs A19 style

Con:
    • Toggle is thin, narrow and triangular shaped not like the old thick toggle switches
    • no LED

45741 - Add on switch - havent installed yet

45742 - Dimmer switch
    Pro:
    • Remembers previous dim level
    • wether not supported does control motors - in bathroom dim to before fan is on
    • toggle

Con:
    • no LED
    • Same small toggle design

12727 - Relay switch

12728 - Add on switch (epimethius provided)
    Pro:
    • Invert
    • Dim rate adjust

Con:
    • no LED
    • Not Z-Wave Plus

12729 - Dimmer switch (epimethius provided)
    Pro:
    • Invert
    • Dim rate adjust

Con:
    • no LED
    • Not Z-Wave Plus

***************(epimethius provided)
    Zooz ZEN24
    Pro:
    • Z-Wave Plus
    • Invert

Con:
    • no LED
    • no Dim rate adj
    • if already own a zwave controller will need to purchase a new one

GE/Jasco has Z-Wave Plus Toggle switches and dimmers designed and submitted for Z-Wave certification, but nobody has brought those designs to market. I called Jasco and they said while the parts may have been designed
    and certified, they are not being produced until a "big box" store or similar company is interested in marketing them. The Z-Wave alliance links are below.

GE Toggle Switch (14292) - http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1856
    Jasco Toggle Swtich (14319) - http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1840
    Jasco Toggle Dimmer (14322) - http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1372

I think the GE Toggle Dimmer is 14291 but it's not on the Z-Wave Alliance website.
    ***************/ (epimethius provided)
    Last edited by TeleFragger; October 5, 2016, 12:02 PM.
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

I have (2) GE 12729's, (1) GE 12728, and (1) Zooz ZEN24. None of them have LED's. The GE's have the standard configurable parameters (invert, dim rate adj.) and are not Z-Wave Plus. The Zooz ZEN24 is Z-Wave plus, but does not have dim rate adj., only switch invert. Interestingly, Zooz does not have their own add-on switch, but direct you to use the GE add-on's. This did work with my ZEN24, but I have to physically invert the add-on to get the operation correct. Zooz has told me that they are working on a new firmware that will allow dim rate adjustments, but it will not be available until some time next year.

In short, it's a sad state of affairs in the smart switch toggle world.

Also, GE/Jasco has Z-Wave Plus Toggle switches and dimmers designed and submitted for Z-Wave certification, but nobody has brought those designs to market. I called Jasco and they said while the parts may have been designed and certified, they are not being produced until a "big box" store or similar company is interested in marketing them. The Z-Wave alliance links are below.

GE Toggle Switch (14292) - http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1856
    Jasco Toggle Swtich (14319) - http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1840
    Jasco Toggle Dimmer (14322) - http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1372

I think the GE Toggle Dimmer is 14291 but it's not on the Z-Wave Alliance website.
    Last edited by epimetheus; October 5, 2016, 08:19 AM.

Comment

^^^ Thx for the add!!!!!

WOW... sheeze ive been away for a long time.
      I am talking with a friend (also long time member here but he doesnt check in anymore from what I see..)..

he is trying to see if a company (sorry forget who) would do UPB toggles. As all they have to do is provide toggle faces to add to their current lineup of switches. Albeit more expensive but id go this route...

now I have to look up zwave vs zwave plus - pros/cons - will my z-troller work with zwave plus...

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by epimetheus View Post
        I have (2) GE 12729's, (1) GE 12728, and (1) Zooz ZEN24. None of them have LED's. The GE's have the standard configurable parameters (invert, dim rate adj.) and are not Z-Wave Plus.

wow so 2 questions for you...

1. do you like your models? if you could do it over today (not that you have many) which do you really like and would just go with?

2. Im guessing you adjust the settings in the HS device? can you post a screen? I dont even have HS running at the moment.. but soon.. once server 2016 gets released...

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
          wow so 2 questions for you...

1. do you like your models? if you could do it over today (not that you have many) which do you really like and would just go with?

2. Im guessing you adjust the settings in the HS device? can you post a screen? I dont even have HS running at the moment.. but soon.. once server 2016 gets released...
          So, from what I can tell, GE, Jasco, and Zooz all come from the same factory. The tooling, molding, and parts seem identical. The Zooz does have a slightly less pronounced click than the GE's, but the Zooz is a much newer design compared to the GE/Jasco switches currently available. The biggest difference is instant status capability. Not sure how familiar you are with the patent on Z-Wave instant status reporting, but the current GE/Jasco switches on the market do not have instant status reporting. That is, if you operate the switch locally it does not inform the controller of a status change. The controller has to periodically poll the switch for status. HS has a quasi work-around for this. Apparently the switch can send out some sort of packet that indicates that something has changed, but not exactly what has changed. HS can detect this and immediately poll the switch for status. The caveat on this work-around is that HS requires a direct route to the switch. If the route bounces through another Z-Wave device, the quasi instant status does not work. The patent on instant status recently expired and now manufacturers are starting to come out with switches that have native instant status support. The Zooz ZEN24 is one of these new products. I'd be 100% sold on the ZEN24 if it had dim rate adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by epimetheus View Post
            I'd be 100% sold on the ZEN24 if it had dim rate adjustments.
            Thanks for that tid bit... so when I did have HS up and running I had a event where if it was daytime and someone turned on the front light the light would then shut off... and opposite for night time...

worked great with my x10 togglelinc 2 way switch.. the jasco was hit or miss and i couldnt get it really going right... so now i dont care about adjustable dim rate... so I may have to look at ZEN24s then...

what is the default dim rate? I know the HA20c's I have (2) are horrible as they take 3 seconds to ramp up and people hit them up and down and up and down trying to get instant... that is why even though my x10 switches "could" ramp I didnt.. INSTANT ON...

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
              what is the default dim rate? I know the HA20c's I have (2) are horrible as they take 3 seconds to ramp up and people hit them up and down and up and down trying to get instant... that is why even though my x10 switches "could" ramp I didnt.. INSTANT ON...
              It's a little slow, probably 2 seconds or less. I'll check more closely when I get home tonight. My wife did the same thing, she went nuts on the switch because she couldn't wait the half second before the lights started to respond. I prefer the more gradual fade up, but I would like it to be adjustable. My preference would be 750ms to 1 second. We're a house divided at the moment.

Comment

so now that I think about it.. id have to change my z-troller out to use this new zwave plus switch...

Comment

Working...
                X