www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler)

Insteon Plug-in (Mark Sandler) Discussions related to Mark Sandler's 3rd parth plug-in for controlling Insteon devices via Smarthome's PLM interfaces (the 2412 & 2413 series controllers)

Old April 9th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy_h View Post
I consider this a low priority cosmetic issue"

Channel numbers for new features in Edit Device page are not reported exactly as they are on Device Management view.
I could change the Channel number to match the :xx number of the address. I don't think they match for 6 btn KPLs either.

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.368
Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | Vista Alarm 20P with AD2USB | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway
Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 (by Kirby) | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | NetCAM | MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Jon00 Charting
Platform: HP h8-1360t, Windows Server 2012 R2, i7-3.4GHz, 16GB memory
Old April 9th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Attempted re-program to no avail. Only way to recover was to factory reset the MS-II and then delete it from your plugin. Then once gone re-add it with a slightly different name. Then it came in correctly.

I was intentionally pushing it with your first beta so was not surprised that it choked a bit.

Tony
Not sure i'm going to be able to support the 'replacement' of an old MS with the a new MS. But please try this if you do it again.

after the swap in the insteon.ini, add recreatedevice=1 to the [device] section of the new MS and restart the plugin. this may create the additional hs devices that are missing or incorrect
Old April 9th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Seer Master

Ok I don't have any more of the new motions at the moment but I will have replacements coming when they arrive. I'll be sure to give that a go if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think you are creating the options for events for these devices. I'm wondering if there might be a way to create a range for the light level.

Right now it looks like you can only pick the exact level, but I would like to pick 0-150. That gives you more control than the dusk dawn trigger. (which I realize isn't working yet)
Attached Images

Total Physical Memory: 16Gig

Plugins: BlBackup | EasyTrigger | FitbitSeer | HSTouchServer | Insteon | WeatherXML
Old April 9th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Seer Master

I want to point out that I have my heartbeat set to 23 minutes as I am actively using the temp sensor. Curious to see what the battery life will be. This will be day one of that test with 2 sensors.
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsandler View Post
I could change the Channel number to match the :xx number of the address. I don't think they match for 6 btn KPLs either.
That would be beneficial, if you decide to implement. Helps my brain track devices/roles between pages.

randy
Platform: Dell Inspiron 3847, Windows 10, i7-3.6GHz, 16GB memory
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Seer Master

Is it possible to add a " ° " suffix for the temperature device. Right now it shows as 67.5 but it would be easier to manage in HSTouch if it showed as 67.5° F and C could be added but are not as important.

Thank you. BTW is there any way to perhaps make a donation? You put a lot of time in to this plug-in with no additional income after sale. I think your time is worth something.

Tony
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:38 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Is it possible to add a " ° " suffix for the temperature device. Right now it shows as 67.5 but it would be easier to manage in HSTouch if it showed as 67.5° F and C could be added but are not as important.

Thank you. BTW is there any way to perhaps make a donation? You put a lot of time in to this plug-in with no additional income after sale. I think your time is worth something.

Tony
I plan to add the suffix; what is anyone's preference here? with or without a space before the degree symbol. I have so many different formats from all the different plugins; it drives me a little crazy.

67.5°F
or
67.5 °F (with a space)

thanks for the offer on the donation. if you are so included insteon@verizon.net with paypal works just fine.
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Seer Master

Without a space works for me.

Thank you.
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:57 PM
Seer Master

Noticed that hearbeat related events are not logged. This may be by design but wanted to point it out.
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Seer Master

Also noticed that the LED off command seems to be hit or miss.
When I set it to off, it seemed like it worked for a bit. But a half hour later I checked it again and the light LED was indicating motion again. The change may have occurred when the last heartbeat was transmitted.
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Noticed that hearbeat related events are not logged. This may be by design but wanted to point it out.
yah, I just need to add the trigger
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:27 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Also noticed that the LED off command seems to be hit or miss.
When I set it to off, it seemed like it worked for a bit. But a half hour later I checked it again and the light LED was indicating motion again. The change may have occurred when the last heartbeat was transmitted.
if you reread the settings, is the LED still set to Off?
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
what are you expecting to be logged related to "heartbeat events"?
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Seer Master

Yes the LED is still listed as OFF after re-reading the devices settings.

As for reporting:

Heartbeat should just probably show:

Quote:
Apr-09 2:35:28 PM Insteon Received Master Bedroom Motion-II Heartbeat - Temperature and Light Level updated
Or perhaps break the 3 items up in to individual log items because temp and light level are both set to not change update time if there is no change. So you should only get a log event if something actually changes.

I accutually plan to control ceiling fans based on room temp data given by these motions. Given how cheap they are, I may just buy some that are only used for temp data and not motion. Those could be powered by USB.

Something to note about the temp sensor in this motion. I've been testing it with a known valid temp sensor and it looks like when the motion is stuck directly to the wall with the included double stick tape, it is reading the temp of the wall (which is much less dynamic than air temperature. When I get another device I will test the same with the flex mount they give you to see if that provides enough isolation from the wall to give more accurate temp readings. I'm fairly certain that it will. Right now I'm seeing a 9 degree difference between my wall temp and air temp which would not be a big deal to adjust for, but the wall moderates the temp which makes temp swings take far too long.
Old April 9th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Seer Plus

Got one going and all looks good.

Few questions:
1) On USB so heartbeat always says off but shows a last changed time, this expected behavior?
2) On USB and battery level shows low, tried a few different usb plugs and went from change to low, this expected behavior on USB? Delete the 2 battery and forget about it?
3) Options for heartbeat Interval are increments of 23 mins (23, 46 , 1:09, etc..) on USB could these not be every 5 mins or so. - I know this only updates light/temp but just curious about the 23 (Jordan Fan?)

Everything seems to function, I use the dusk/dawn sensor so looking forward to that update

Thanks for all your work

Thanks,
Steven G
Old April 10th, 2017, 06:27 AM
Insteon Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveng View Post
Got one going and all looks good.

Few questions:
1) On USB so heartbeat always says off but shows a last changed time, this expected behavior?
2) On USB and battery level shows low, tried a few different usb plugs and went from change to low, this expected behavior on USB? Delete the 2 battery and forget about it?
3) Options for heartbeat Interval are increments of 23 mins (23, 46 , 1:09, etc..) on USB could these not be every 5 mins or so. - I know this only updates light/temp but just curious about the 23 (Jordan Fan?)

Everything seems to function, I use the dusk/dawn sensor so looking forward to that update

Thanks for all your work

Thanks,
Steven G
Steven,
1. yes this is expected behavior. the devices goes On (when it receives the msg) and then immediately Off. you can use this behavior to test if an On hasn't been received in 24 hrs for example. This might indicate a comm problem, or a dead battery.

2. I would ignore the battery level when running on usb. However don't delete the battery devices however just hide them.

3. the heartbeat intervals are set in the firmware. I'll ask smarthome about the MJ reference
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:55 PM
Seer Master

Motion-II results after a few days...

1. LED off control is not working.

2. Motion / No Motion function is working perfectly. Very good reaction times and reliability. The range on these motions is about 20% better than my newest Motion-1 (about 4 months old)

3. Temperature sensing is going to be inaccurate if you stick the device to a wall. I have a known good thermometer that I am placing a few inches from one of my sensors and it was clearly being influenced by thermal conductivity between the wall surface the plastic. The result was that the temperature was moderated by the wall. Much like a body of water moderates the temp of nearby land masses. I switched the motion to the stupid little flex mount. (going to need to make a better version of that) and solved the issue. The thermistor in my device was off by around 3 degrees.

I could not figure out what calculation is used for the temp adjustment. It doesn't seem to make any sense. But to come up three degree's I used +15 It should be noted that you should wait a good twenty four hours for the thermistor to stabilize before you attempt to calibrate it.

Here are my current settings for reference:
Attached Images

Old April 11th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Insteon Overlord

thanks for the testing and feedback

did you try setting the led brightness to 0?

if your temp is off by 3 degrees try a temp calibration of +/- 4
Old April 11th, 2017, 08:01 PM
Seer Master

I'll try the brightness and report back.

I got it calibrated perfectly by using the settings shown. Do you happen to know what the actual math is there? You said it was a fraction. So logic would have it be a tenth of a degree. So for 3 degrees up, you would pick +30. But that got me 133F when I was shooting for 73F. +11 got me 71.1 and +15 got me 73.3. So...

Last edited by codemonkey; April 11th, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old April 11th, 2017, 08:19 PM
Seer Master

Set LED Brightness to Zero. No effect. Still blinks on motion.