Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is everyone using to control internet radio sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is everyone using to control internet radio sources?

Hello all,

I'm at a crossroads in deciding how to integrate internet radio into my HS3 environment. My goal is to be able to choose between x number of pre-determined internet radio stations via web interface or HSTouch, and have them output to my whole-house amp.

I am using the Monoprice 6-zone amp, and incredibly grateful and happy with happnatious1 for making it available to the community. If you are in the market for a multi-zone amp, with awesome HS3 integration, I suggest you look into this option. This part of the equation works great.

I'm stuck at finding a simple AND reliable means to play internet radio stations--preferably on a raspberry pi, and outputting the audio from the pi to the amp. I would like to have a virtual device populated with the currently playing song, obtained from the radio stream.

Please let me know what's been working for you, and how you use it in your home.

thanks

Marco

Watching this thread to see if you get a response. I think many of us are awaiting the same feature for HSTouch.

Barry

Comment

I mix everything here.

For audio did Russound and mixed it with subzones with their own AVRs.

Playing lately with one AVR and while I tested it with the network basically only turn it on and off and use only two audio sources with it. I liked the remote android application for it but it really was overkill for what I am using it for. The AVR does include radio streaming sources. Personally just overkill for an AVR.

That said for the master bedroom with LCD TV / AVR added one HSTouch to the mix connected to the AVR there in the MB. Linux wise one tabletop touchscreen ran Squeezeplayer or Kodi to the AVR. LCD TV has it's own KODI box for streaming TV, audio, video stuff (and connected to AVR) Wintel wise via HSTouch I created radio station buttons on one HSTouch screen which streams whatever I want. It is just local control and local audio. (master bedroom has one Omnitouch screen, a touchscreen tabletop tablet on each nightstand, one in the master bathroom). Main AVR does audio to the master bedroom and bathroom. An AB switch in the hallway changes the audio from local to zoned. Zoned can be controlled via HS Touch.

Two levels down near the two Russound zoned amps do similiar for multiple sources of audio. The devices there are remote controlled and all the same these days; small tabletops on the shelf next to the russound amps (footprint is not as small as an RPi2 though).

All of the above and really here do not watch live TV much but testing live TV streaming these days and mostly just watch a la carte TV via the internet. Wife though watches DTV and records everything. I prefer to listen to music and while I stream radio its only 1-2 stations as I do not really listen to radio in general these days. IE: have satellite radio, regular radio, CD changer, DVD audio player and computer (which streams internet sometimes) in automobiles. Preference is just to listen to my music collection which is duplicated in the automobiles and never do listen to radio these days (which is really just noise to me).
      Last edited by Pete; February 4, 2017, 02:02 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Here just starting WinAmp from the commandline with the URL as parameter. (can be done from within HS)
        - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
        HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

On the Winamp theme: https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=180949 but obviously Windows only.

Provides a device with the current song etc if the stream provides this info.
          Jon

Comment

I use the open source Logitech Media Server along with the Squeezebox plugin and various hardware and software players. Control is both through HS, the Imperihome app and also a few Squeezebox apps.
            Last edited by sparkman; February 4, 2017, 08:48 PM.
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

I also use squeezebox players on my Pi's attached to my russound unit. I have it controlled thru HSTouch panels throughout the house. It is a pain to add a wide variety of channels easily, but it can be done. I have a select few that I run thru on a regular basis that I built buttons for, but you can also put the squeezebox control URL into an element and control everything from it.

I have had it running 2 years now, and its probably the most solid setup I have in my automation setup.

Comment

I also use squeezebox with multiple physical players (radio, boom, etc) and a software players running on the HS3 server with audio output connected to multiple speakers (via a custom switch matrix/relays). HS3 integration is via my squeezebox plugin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I'm getting the sense that squeezebox is a strong contender.

Just so you all know, here are the options i tried.
                  1. Installing Mopidy on pi and controlling it via local client (win version) installed on HS3 box. It more-or-less works, but not loving this idea.
                  2. Installed LibreElec and also XMBC on Pi to get Kodi and tried using the MediaCenter free PI. The plugin is not as clean as I would have liked it, and i ended up getting errors when executing playlists. Decided to pause this approach (for now).

And now I'm installing Logitech Media Server & Squeezebox and seeing what all the hype is about.

-Marco

Comment

I had squeezebox controlled with squeezebox plugin in my old house and had no complaints about it.

When I moved to my new home, there was no wiring for speakers, so I moved to Sonos and couldn't be happier. Comparing the two, I'd have to say that Sonos is more robust and user friendly. It also does TTS better than my old solution.

Comment

Winner: Squeezebox w/ HS3 PI!!

Hello all,

I'm hooked on squeezebox. Don't know why I didnt post sooner, or try it earlier, but squeezebox with the HS3 PI rocks.

For those of you that want a simple, all-inclusive, Pi distro that has EVERYTHING you need relating to squeezebox, check out:
                      PICOREPLAYER
                      https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news

simply Awesome! in 10 minutes, I have a fully functional squeezebox with all parameters controller over built-in web browser.

-marco

Comment

Best of all Squeezebox/Sqeezeserver is lite and free.

Currently running Squeezebox server on Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit Linux which is my current MythTV box. Runs great along side of MythTV.

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1482423225 @ Thu Dec 22 16:25:55 UTC 2016
                        Hostname: ICS-MythTV
                        Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
                        Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
                        Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
                        Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
                        Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

mythbackend --version
                        MythTV Version : v0.28.1
                        MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
                        Network Protocol : 88
                        Library API : 0.28.20161120-1
                        QT Version : 5.5.1
                        Last edited by Pete; February 8, 2017, 07:57 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Is there a replacement for the Squeezebox or are people buying used off of ebay?

Or am I just confused???

Barry

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
                            Is there a replacement for the Squeezebox or are people buying used off of ebay?

Or am I just confused???

Barry
                            Hi Barry,

Yes, you can buy the official hardware on eBay, etc., but there are a number of free software player options that can be installed on various hardware platforms, such as PCs, raspberry PI's, etc. There are also a Logitech Media Server (LMS) plugins that allow Airplay, UPNP and ChromeCast devices to appear like regular LMS clients. As an example, my Pioneer receivers support UPNP and I stream music directly to them without needing an official hardware player connected to them.

Cheers
                            Al
                            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post

Or am I just confused???

Barry
                              Most of the users in this thread are using a Raspberry Pi as a Squeezebox client.
                              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Working...
                              X