www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer IFTTT Channel Integration

HomeSeer IFTTT Channel Integration General Discussion of HomeSeer's IFTTT Channel

Old May 5th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Seer Master

Transition from Life360 to HS

Could someone please try to explain to me how I can transition from life360 to getting this in HS. I have an IFTTT account and have set it up for HS per the instructions. I have set up life360 on our phones and created a family group with the respective zones.

Now how do I get it into HS so I know when someone enters or exits a zone?

thanks in advance.
Old May 5th, 2018, 11:17 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
Could someone please try to explain to me how I can transition from life360 to getting this in HS. I have an IFTTT account and have set it up for HS per the instructions. I have set up life360 on our phones and created a family group with the respective zones.

thanks in advance.
The bad news. You can't with Life360 without doing some custom scripting. The problem as of yet, which is an issue with Life360 and IFTTT is that the Life360 service only lets you create an IFTTT applet based on yourself or first/last family member. There's no option to create an applet with a specific family member

I'm working on a script for it for HS3 but I don't know when I'll have it finished. Are your running HS on Windows or Linux? If Linux I might can help as you can run my current Life360 script on Linux and it works fine outside of HS.

The alternative is that you can use IFTTT without Life360. The downside is that each family member has to have an IFTTT account and setup their phones and setup the location event and then call an HS action. It's not that hard, but there's a lot of touch points.

The alternative to IFTTT is to use the PHLocation plugin. However with that you still have to install an app on each phone and configure each phone to login to your system to provide the updates.

I feel your pain which is why I'm working on the Life360 script and hopefully soon to become a plugin. I have also opened a request with Life360 to add features to allow family member selection, I recommend you do the same. The more people asking the more likely it will be implemented.

Honestly it is strange that HS3 doesn't have a plugin for Life360. At this count I think HS3 and Vera are the only systems that don't have a Life360 plugin.
Old May 5th, 2018, 11:36 PM
Seer Master

jeubanks, I am running on windows 10. I would really be interested in your plugin when you have it done.

The life360 app I just downloaded does allow me to add myself and my wife as members of a group called family. They give you a code and when you add the app to another phone like my wife's then I enter this code and she is connected with me and I with her.

Now all we have to do is add places, free version is only 2, but you can get it for 2.99/mo for unlimited.

Is this what yours does also?
Old May 6th, 2018, 12:10 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
jeubanks, I am running on windows 10. I would really be interested in your plugin when you have it done.

The life360 app I just downloaded does allow me to add myself and my wife as members of a group called family. They give you a code and when you add the app to another phone like my wife's then I enter this code and she is connected with me and I with her.

Now all we have to do is add places, free version is only 2, but you can get it for 2.99/mo for unlimited.

Is this what yours does also?
The phone app works great and you can have multiple family members and setup locations/zones. With other systems that tie into Life360 you can setup a Life360 location and then setup a rule like in SmartThings if this person status becomes Home then do something. Same with every other system I've used again with the noted exception of HS3 and Vera both of which I integrated my own scripts.

My current script is a Python script that does run in Windows. I can assist with the install/setup if you want to use it on Windows. I also have the same script running in Linux that I can help with setup and I have a Bash script that is Linux specific as it uses curl to make the web requests.

If interested I'll tidy up the script and create some install/usage instructions for it. I would really like to turn it into a full HS3 plugin at some point in time but I'm just learning C# and VB so that's gonna take me some time.
Old May 6th, 2018, 12:43 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeubanks View Post
The phone app works great and you can have multiple family members and setup locations/zones. With other systems that tie into Life360 you can setup a Life360 location and then setup a rule like in SmartThings if this person status becomes Home then do something. Same with every other system I've used again with the noted exception of HS3 and Vera both of which I integrated my own scripts.

My current script is a Python script that does run in Windows. I can assist with the install/setup if you want to use it on Windows. I also have the same script running in Linux that I can help with setup and I have a Bash script that is Linux specific as it uses curl to make the web requests.

If interested I'll tidy up the script and create some install/usage instructions for it. I would really like to turn it into a full HS3 plugin at some point in time but I'm just learning C# and VB so that's gonna take me some time.
I am definitely interested. I look forward to getting it into a plugin. For now if you have a script and install instructions I would love to try it. I'm not good by any means with scripts but I would like to try. Let me know. thanks
Old May 6th, 2018, 12:46 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
I am definitely interested. I look forward to getting it into a plugin. For now if you have a script and install instructions I would love to try it. I'm not good by any means with scripts but I would like to try. Let me know. thanks
What platform would you be running on? The script can run on Windows or Linux as long as there's network connection to HS3. It can be same machine or different (even an rpi for that matter).

Let me know what platform you want to run on and I'll do some tweaking/documenting/testing tomorrow. If all goes well I'll have something posted tomorrow. I'll publish it to my github.
Old May 6th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
What platform would you be running on? The script can run on Windows or Linux as long as there's network connection to HS3. It can be same machine or different (even an rpi for that matter).

Let me know what platform you want to run on and I'll do some tweaking/documenting/testing tomorrow. If all goes well I'll have something posted tomorrow. I'll publish it to my github.
I am on windows 10 and I am connected to the router with this machine. If you could let me know what the github address is that would be great, if you can. Looking forward to trying it. thanks
Old May 6th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
I am on windows 10 and I am connected to the router with this machine. If you could let me know what the github address is that would be great, if you can. Looking forward to trying it. thanks
Here's the link to my github with the required scripts and install directions.

https://github.com/jeubanks/hs3-life360

Download if you want it all at once:
https://github.com/jeubanks/hs3-life...ive/master.zip

I just pushed this 5 minutes ago, so if something is not clear let me know.
Old May 6th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Seer

Quote:

thanks in advance.
I use IFTTT to change virtual devices when one of us enters or leaves a place. Then use events on the device change.

Scott

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old May 6th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Here's the link to my github with the required scripts and install directions.

https://github.com/jeubanks/hs3-life360

Download if you want it all at once:
https://github.com/jeubanks/hs3-life...ive/master.zip

I just pushed this 5 minutes ago, so if something is not clear let me know.
I really appreciate the effort of doing this but I may have to wait for the plugin because this is just outside my wheelhouse. I hope you understand.
Old May 6th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
I really appreciate the effort of doing this but I may have to wait for the plugin because this is just outside my wheelhouse. I hope you understand.
No worries. I'll see if I can package it up to simplify. I gave warning that it wasn't for the faint of heart and not "Production Ready"

I've restarted the plugin work, but I'm still having problems with .NET in making the HTTP connections correctly. This is my lack of .NET skills. For someone that knows the HS plugin system and knows .NET this is a SUPER simple plugin for getting the basics out there and then expand on it with some really cool features. But alas I'm not that super coder so it will take me some time... maybe Frank will pick up an interest
Old May 6th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Seer

I keep getting error authenticating when testing presence-checker.py

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Are you using email or phone number for username?
Old May 6th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Are you using email or phone number for username?
I always use email address. Never tried with phone number.
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Seer Master

Quote:

Any luck?

BTW - I'm back to working on a native .NET version. This won't be a full plugin but it will be easier to use than the python version. I'll have something out in the next day or so I hope. It won't be pretty but it will function and be easier to setup.
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Seer

Quote:
Any luck?

BTW - I'm back to working on a native .NET version. This won't be a full plugin but it will be easier to use than the python version. I'll have something out in the next day or so I hope. It won't be pretty but it will function and be easier to setup.
Had to quit yesterday to take care of the kids, but will try again today.

Quick question, when you say copy contents of zip to virtual environment, what do you mean? I just copied it into the envs folder.
Old May 7th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Had to quit yesterday to take care of the kids, but will try again today.

Quick question, when you say copy contents of zip to virtual environment, what do you mean? I just copied it into the envs folder.
Stop. Don't waste anymore time. Give me a few hours, maybe a day and I'll have a native .NET version which will be much easier to configure and setup.

BTW what platform are you running on Windows or Linux?
Old May 7th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Seer

Quote:
Stop. Don't waste anymore time. Give me a few hours, maybe a day and I'll have a native .NET version which will be much easier to configure and setup.

BTW what platform are you running on Windows or Linux?
Windows
Old May 7th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Windows
Here is a very crude but working .NET binary package. There's a README included in the zip file. But here's the basic instructions.

1. This is not a plugin. It does require an external scheduler like Windows Task Scheduler for this to run based on your preferences whether 1 minutes or 5 or 10 etc.

2. Unzip the file anywhere you want just leave all the files together.

3. Edit the HS3-Life360.exe.config (referred here on as config file) to add your Life360 Username and Password (I use my email address never tried with phone number) and URL to your HS3 server.

4. Run the tool (just double click the .exe file). This will authenticate and get your information (Circles and Family members) and populate the configuration file with family members.

5. Edit the configuration file to update the entries for your members with their corresponding Device Reference number from HS3. This requires that a Virtual Device (Switch) be created for each Family member you want to get status on. The default in the config file is "000" change that to the HS3 Ref Number. If you leave it as 000 then that entry will be skipped and not updated within HS3. You can add new members through Life360 as normal and then when ready add to HS3 and update the config file with the ref. number. After complete run again just to verify it is accessing and updating HS3. This assumes local LAN connection with NO authentication. If requested that will have to be added later.

6. Schedule execution however you prefer.

At this time the only Life360 Place that is checked is "Home" if you don't have a place designated as "Home" then devices will always be off.

Again - WARNING - this is Alpha and ugly code. Consider it a prototype that I'll build off of to turn into a Plugin. The plugin system is gnarly!!! It's going to take some time before I understand it enough to get even a shell of a plugin running.

Here's the Link you've been waiting for:

https://github.com/jeubanks/homeseer...S3-Life360.zip
Old May 7th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
1. This is not a plugin. It does require an external scheduler like Windows Task Scheduler for this to run based on your preferences whether 1 minutes or 5 or 10 etc.
Tried to use Task Scheduler and 2 things. 1. It only allowed you to set it for 1 day as the smallest time frame. 2. I got an error when I tried to finish the task that said "The specified account name is not valid". What is this and how do I fix it? thanks
Old May 7th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Tried to use Task Scheduler and 2 things. 1. It only allowed you to set it for 1 day as the smallest time frame. 2. I got an error when I tried to finish the task that said "The specified account name is not valid". What is this and how do I fix it? thanks
The account is going to be your Windows logon.

1. Open Task scheduler search in the Windows task search bar
2. Click on "Create Task..." - Not Basic
3. Enter a name etc whatever you want.
4. Set options to run when logged on or all the time. Store password is up to you
5. Click Triggers Tab
6. Click "New"
7. Ignore the top half and look at the Advanced Settings. Click "Repeat Task every" and select "5 Minutes". NOW click in the drop down window and change the 5 to 1 or whatever you want
8. Change other options as you desire
9. Make sure "Enabled" is checked
10. Click OK
11. Click Actions Tab
12. Click New
13. Click Browse and find the HS3-Life360.exe file
14. Click Ok, Ok, Ok