Great idea for RFID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great idea for RFID

I was just thinking about cool things to surprise visitors of my home, and thought of a really cool concept that seems like it would be very feasible with HS.

So, those of you with RFID integrated with your house and who use HSTouch, I think it would be pretty cool if when you opened up HSTouch, it immediately opens to the room that you are currently in.

Example: You walk into the master bedroom and open up HSTouch on your iPhone. The screen comes up for the Master Bedroom with all the controls for lights/music/IR/etc. Then you walk into the theater room and it changes to the controls for that room. ETC

It seems like this would be easy to do using RFID and HSTouch Designer (though I have no way to test, as I don't use RFID)

Just a cool idea I thought of.

This may be possible with very short range RFID but the kind most of us use is long range and there's no feasible way to triangulate RFID to that level using the equipment we have. Maybe use your phone and the bluetooth plugin and this may work if you have the plugin loaded on different PC's through out the house. An easier way is to switch screens based on motion sensors sensing motion in each area.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

They did add signal strength data to the newer RFID units. (Db thing). It came way latter though than the original HS plugins and not sure anyways how accurate the signal strengths would be anyways. Easier to do (like Rupp has mentioned) with cellular phone triangulation. I have a windows mobile application which logs the various cellular tower IDs with their signals into a database. Once its configured you can utilize it to run scripting; like forwarding your phone stuff. I used to use it all of the time and preferred to forward my cell phone to my analogue office phone or home phone. It also used GPS data for positioning. Kind of a neato program.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Yeah you would probably have to have an RFID receiver in each room.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          This may be possible with very short range RFID but the kind most of us use is long range and there's no feasible way to triangulate RFID to that level using the equipment we have. Maybe use your phone and the bluetooth plugin and this may work if you have the plugin loaded on different PC's through out the house. An easier way is to switch screens based on motion sensors sensing motion in each area.
          What if someone is moving elsewhere in the house? I think it needs to be smart detection. Bluetooth seems like the best idea since bluetooth is the phone/controller itself and it's most important that the controller is tuned to the room it is in rather than where a person is (guess you could tape a RFID tag to the back phone too).

Comment

Working...
          X