Troller ZEE, Zee S2, Zwave plus, totally confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troller ZEE, Zee S2, Zwave plus, totally confused

OK, recently , past year or so, got a hometroller ZEE.
    THEN, needed to update, it would not update, had to learn putty sequence (board was helpful, but exhausting, as all I wanted to do was just operate the device....)

NOW, there is Zwave PLUS...??

I have a HomeTroller ZEE, software just updated to 300.1.8.7
    Has an Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-stick

is ANY of this Zwave-PLUS compatible?
    if so, HOW TO UPDATE the Z-Stick? (an email response from you told me to update this, but I don't know how....?)

if this is NOT z-wave PLUS compatible, what do I lose in functionality??

ALSO, is there an upgrade path/cost, for owners of current models? Just inquiring

thanks to all

I am too old for this; I have Hue hub, Wink Hub, ObiHai for phone, Alexor network alarm card, had to get an 8-port HUB to hook all this stuff, ; I don't mind learning stuff, but I'm losing it....

thanks
    nick

You're not loosing it, it's just confusing as heck when you start.

And it doesn't help all the hardware has names like "z" this and that, zee, etc, hometroller, z-troller, etc. Then on top of that you've got regular and pro stuff. Even now I've got to pause and think when someone mentions one of these products. Better naming like Regular modle name, then Mini, micro, 1, 2,3 would probably help in introducing new customers to HS products.

Z-net is the ip capable z-wave interface( MUCH MUCH better than z-stick). The range, bandwidth, and speed are much better than z-stick. In time you may want to upgrade to this. Z-net interface is z-wave plus certified.
    I have a mix of z-wave plus and regular z-wave devices and the z-stick and the z-net both control all devices as usual. Z-wave plus has network inclusion (adding new devices) and better security features. But again most folk of the this board are using regular zwave devices since and are not really missing out.
    Tom
    baby steps...starting again with HS3
    HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
    HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
    Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
    In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
    System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

That does help.

SO, if I curently have the
      HomeTroller ZEE, AND the Z-Stick
      what would I want to buy (comparable controller setup, simple box, not too complicated) that would allow the Z-net Setup -
      what model of the HomeTroller ZEE would I buy, and would that allow me to go to the next level?

Comment

Hometroller zee with work with z-net( WORTH every Penny). You don't need any thing else, for now. As you buy new z-wave devices(light switches, outlets, etc try to get the ones that are z-wave plus
        Tom

Comment

so just my plain old original HomeTroller ZEE, and the current Z-stick, and
          having done the Hometroller ZEE software update to the 30-1-8-7?
          nothing else to do?

Comment

You're fine as you are. Unless you must have z-wave plus features now. If you want the added security and network wide inclusion that z-wave plus offers then you need a z-net and need devices that are z-wave plus certified.
            I have regular z-wave device( not z-wave plus ) and I have a z-net interface( replaces the z-stick) just because its so much faster, and GREATER range.
            Tom

Comment

thanks for reply.
              that is what I would like to know -
              which device is the simplest way to get z-net;
              something that looks and feels like the
              Troller-ZEE and Z-stick combination

which of the Z-whatever dievices give me this simplistic configuration but adds the z-net cconfiguration?

Comment

you can just add the z-net to your hometroller zee. The z-net($149) would just replace the z-stick.
                Tom

Comment

thanks, that is appreciated.
                  that will be my next investment

One other question
                  z-WAVE devices act as repeaters.
                  with z-NET, is it
                  z-net-signal-to-device, so that the signal strength is important

or do the zWAVE device repeaters help out?
                  thanks
                  I really do appreciate your help, I'm on a fast learning curve

Comment

So Z-net talks to z-wave device directly if within range( don't know in feet the exact range) and if not it communicates through other z-wave devices to its final distention(device). This is the same way z-stick communicates, but z-net has some extra special vodoo(antenna and firmware) that makes its range and speed faster.

I have a gate that is now 220ft from my z-net( new location) and it communicates faster than the z-stick to open the gates( 1-2secs I think). I also have a everspring door/window sensor on the gate to tell me when the gate is open and closed. I have NEVER been able to communicate with the Everspring door sensor( battery operated) since I installed, a year ago, it with my z-stick. But with the z-net, BAM! The Everspring communicates through that distances to z-net almost instantly.
                    Love homeseer for making this awesome device.

Originally posted by aoz View Post
                    thanks, that is appreciated.
                    that will be my next investment

One other question
                    z-WAVE devices act as repeaters.
                    with z-NET, is it
                    z-net-signal-to-device, so that the signal strength is important

or do the zWAVE device repeaters help out?
                    thanks
                    I really do appreciate your help, I'm on a fast learning curve
                    Tom

Comment

excellent; that tells me that that would work for my small applications.
                      thanks again
                      nick

Comment

That's cool, what version of software do I need to be in order to use a Z=Net with a HSZee?

Seems like a PERFECT way to extend my network!

--Dan
                        Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Most current Homeseer 3 software plus most current Z-Wave plugins see every device (old Z-Wave and new Z-Wave Plus however or whatever methodology you utilize as a transport).

Note that the USB stick is just a USB to serial device to Z-Wave hardware. (IE: the old Hometroller / Z-Wave stick work along with the new Z-Wave plus Z-Net and USB Z-Wave Plus and whatever is officially Z-Wave plus.

Thing is I upgraded the old Zee software to the new Zee-2 software. Not sure at all if the legacy Zee software got updated for this stuff cuz I never looked. The upgrade is/was $39.00. This does upgrade your Zee license to Zee-2 and disables your old HS3 Zee license. The new Zee-2 HS3 software allows for 5 plugins and only runs on the RPi2 and not the original RPi and off of a microSD card versus a regular sized SD card. (IE: so you purchase the upgrade, purchase a new RPi2/case and a new microSD card for this endeavor).
                          - Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

is that the upgrade path for the current
                            HOmetoller ZEE?
                            what is total cost of all the items you mention???
                            (which part numbers, etc)
                            or am I lost again?

Comment

Working...
                            X