Event to lock doors once closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My entry door has a schlage deadbolt along with a door sensor. I've been using the built in 30 sec autolock.

Sometime, I would unlock the deadbolt but not exit and forget about it and when I finally leave and close the door, often times the deadbolt would start locking during the process causing me to slam the deadbolt.

There are two problems with this, first is the security concern where if the deadbolt slams the door remain insecure, and second is damaging the door jam.

I played around with an event that would only lock the door when the door sensor is closed but it doesn't quite work.

Has anyone setup a similar event?

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
      My entry door has a schlage deadbolt along with a door sensor. I've been using the built in 30 sec autolock.

Sometime, I would unlock the deadbolt but not exit and forget about it and when I finally leave and close the door, often times the deadbolt would start locking during the process causing me to slam the deadbolt.

There are two problems with this, first is the security concern where if the deadbolt slams the door remain insecure, and second is damaging the door jam.

I played around with an event that would only lock the door when the door sensor is closed but it doesn't quite work.

Has anyone setup a similar event?
      We have two locks, both are Schlage deadbolts. We don't use the autolock feature, instead I use two events like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1198411

This event will run only if the door is closed and if the lock is unlocked. I send an initial lock command and a second one delayed by a minute. These locks are generally reliable, but will occasionally (once out of a couple dozen tries) error. The second command delayed by a minute has always worked when the first didn't.

Then I have several options. Our "House to Sleep" event calls the two lock events to make sure they are locked at night. Our security event that runs when the alarm is armed also runs both lock events. I have another event that can be enabled by a virtual device for autolock. When the event is enabled, it will lock the door if it is unlocked and has been closed for more than 15 minutes.

At "house to sleep" a TTS announcement lets us know if either is unlocked, then attempts to lock the doors. Our bedroom lights will not go out until both doors are locked and a secondary announcement is made. Announcements also let us know if any windows or doors in the house, workshop or shed are open.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I don't have an alarm system but I did try an even that's supposed to lock the door once the door sensor changes from open to close but it's kind of goofy.

Sometime it locks sometime it doesn't. I think it might be an issue with Schlage not always sending instant updates and the sensors get a false trip due to the kids leaning on the door or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          We have two locks, both are Schlage deadbolts. We don't use the autolock feature, instead I use two events like this

[ATTACH]70098[/ATTACH]

This event will run only if the door is closed and if the lock is unlocked. I send an initial lock command and a second one delayed by a minute. These locks are generally reliable, but will occasionally (once out of a couple dozen tries) error. The second command delayed by a minute has always worked when the first didn't.

Then I have several options. Our "House to Sleep" event calls the two lock events to make sure they are locked at night. Our security event that runs when the alarm is armed also runs both lock events. I have another event that can be enabled by a virtual device for autolock. When the event is enabled, it will lock the door if it is unlocked and has been closed for more than 15 minutes.

At "house to sleep" a TTS announcement lets us know if either is unlocked, then attempts to lock the doors. Our bedroom lights will not go out until both doors are locked and a secondary announcement is made. Announcements also let us know if any windows or doors in the house, workshop or shed are open.
          Ok... just set this up. Did you have a delay for the first lock command? Sounds like yours just lock as soon as the door is closed?

Comment

Randy's event relies on other events to trigger it I believe.
            Disable the auto lock.
            Stand Alone:
            If door has been unlocked for x mins
            and if door sensor is equal to closed
            then lock the door.

if reliability issues arise, then add the second delayed lock.

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
              Disable the auto lock.
              Stand Alone:
              then lock the door.

Thanks, just added an event that trigger this event anytime there's a change to either the sensor or lock of this door and it seems to be working out.

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
                Ok... just set this up. Did you have a delay for the first lock command? Sounds like yours just lock as soon as the door is closed?
                No. The event I posted is called from one of three other events
                1. When we initiate "House to Sleep" at bedtime
                2. When the security system is armed
                3. An event that monitors when the front door has been closed for 15 minutes. This event can be enabled or disabled with a virtual device, in case we want to disable automatically locking the door. This event would have a delay based upon the door having been closed for at least 15 minutes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1198413

The autolock event imposes a 15 minute delay as the door must have been closed for at least 15 minutes. There are two measures to keep the event from repeatedly triggering - 1) if the door is locked, the event won't run and 2) if the door fails to lock, the "Cannot Re-Run For: 1 minute" will limit it to once a minute.

Comment

Disable the auto lock.
                  Stand Alone:
                  then lock the door.

The problem with this logic is that the door will lock the instant it is closed, unless you just unlocked it. I prefer to trigger on the door having been closed for 15 minutes, to keep it from instantly locking.

Comment

After carefully reviewing Randy's setup. I'm able to set this up to work as I'd like.

I overlooked the possiblity to do an event based on "has been" instead, I've been using a delay action which doesn't work as intended.

Setting up the way Randy has it, I can open and close the door constantly and it will only trigger once the sensor has been closed for X amount of time. This is perfect.

Comment

Disable the auto lock.
                      Stand Alone:
                      then lock the door.

I use the same logic as Tome10 and add the condition of the door must be closed (elk alarm sensor) at least x minutes and motion sensors located in garage and entrance hallway have to have no motion for x minutes then lock the door.

Dialed in good and works well. Prevents premature auto locking of garage door when there is busy household activity like laundry and we go in and out of garage from the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[ATTACH]70098[/ATTACH]

Can you explain the step " Lock Controls Autolock Front Door equal to On? Is Lock Controls Autolock Front Door a virtual device? If so what triggers it on/off?

Comment

Originally posted by hunter69 View Post

Can you explain the step " Lock Controls Autolock Front Door equal to On? Is Lock Controls Autolock Front Door a virtual device? If so what triggers it on/off?
                          It is a Virtual Device. It is only a device I use manually to defeat the autolock Events, in case I want the door to remain unlocked when closed. We control this device from HSMobile or with a triple tap of the top or bottom paddle of a HomeSeer switch on the front entry light switch.

Comment

It is a Virtual Device. It is only a device I use manually to defeat the autolock Events, in case I want the door to remain unlocked when closed. We control this device from HSMobile or with a triple tap of the top or bottom paddle of a HomeSeer switch on the front entry light switch.
                            Thanks so much for helping me out

Comment

Likewise I have the auto-lock disabled on my (Yale) door lock - I used to rely on a Aeotec Door/Window sensor to detect the door being closed, nor I just integrated with my DSC security system to detect the sensor I have inside the door, and send a Z-Wave lock command when the door has shut and the lock is unlocked.

Comment

Working...
                              X