Mistake to automation include location in device names sent to GH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mistake to automation include location in device names sent to GH

IMHO, this is a big mistake. It is not a big deal to assign the devices to a room in the Home app. My guess is that this was done because HomeSeer didn't allow for a resync. However, you can actually ask GH to sync by just saying, "sync HomeSeer".

I have rooms in Homeseer setup, sometimes, for logical grouping. I don't want those going across to GH. Now my only choice is to blank out all of my location 1/2 names if I don't want these locations coming across. This seems to be an attempt to bypass the GH rooms. I am thinking that this will cause more of a problem in the future, I hope. I am hoping that GH will allow us in the near future to just say, "turn the lights on" and it will know the context of the room that you are in. That is, of course, unless this was totally bypassed.

I have been using ha-bridge for devices since it was launched and haven't switched to HS for this reason. However, now Google has completely nerfed the local hue control and forcing everyone to use the Hue cloud. This doesn't work with ha-bridge. F'in Google.
    - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel

I believe another option is to add a Voice Command at which point the Room and Floor are removed. This at least worked as of the last time I synched. I can then add the Room in the Google Home app on my phone, which does seem to hold with later synch's issued with the voice command (untested synching via the in app unsynch/synch method)

Perhaps an Option to include the Floor and another to include the Room on the HomeSeer side would be good?

Karl
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
      I believe another option is to add a Voice Command at which point the Room and Floor are removed.
      Karl, I don't know if I am misunderstanding here. Are you saying that there is some way to not have it send location 1/2? I have to check Voice Command on the device to get to to sync and both locations are coming across in the name at that point.

The homesee page says you don't have to assigned room because they send the rooms (loc 1/2) in the name of the device. However, I wonder if I let it come across with the funky names, but still assign assign a GH room, if it will mess me up. Maybe it won't. At least it seems very redundant. I am am a bit paranoid because I had to be very careful with the naming to get GH to behave properly. I even made some names spelled differently, but with the same pronunciation so that it would not try to affect all similar named devices if the room was omitted. For instance, I had a device to turn on Android TV and I had two units. If I forgot to say the room name it would try to turn them both to that input on my Harmony. So, I named one of them as Android TeeVee and that seem to solve the issue. I am afraid that with the loc 1/2 stuff in there I am going to get some undesirable results. Anyway, it doesn't seem proper, as mentioned in OP, because GH already has a location assignment.
      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
      Web Site
      YouTube Channel

Comment

In HomeSeer, set a Voice Command option for the device in the device's Configuration tab. It is the second item, under Device Name on my screen when I select the device. This then replaces the device Floor Room Name combination in Google Home with the value in the Voice Command field only. So I basically set the command to a name and thereby remove the Locations.
        Karl S
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        1070 Devices
        56 Z-Wave Nodes
        104 Events
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
        Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Thank you very much, Karl! I thought that there was supposed to be a place to enter an alternate for voice command. I know I checked for this at one time, but probably assumed it would be by the voice checkbox so I overlooked it at the top. I wouldn't have know that this would override the location stuff so that is good to know. If this all works out, I will be able to mimic the exact names I had for ha-bridge and not worry about debugging voice issue again.
          - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
          Web Site
          YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
          X