Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any devices in local network for Echo to directly control. Everything is connected to HS3 via zwave mostly. Echo controls everything via myHS via internet connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Same thing only different

I am not a homeseer customer so my posts (if allowed) will technically be illegal, but maybe my input on this issue could help others or myself. I am having the same issue with my Pioneer VSX-1123. It started right after getting Alexa. At first I thought maybe it was a coincidence and it was time for a new receiver, but then I came-across this thread. I am an irule user for my home theater stuff so I need the receiver to be operable. I do not use airplay or any other internet streaming music stuff that may have been mentioned in previous posts.

Here's what I've found so-far...The 1123's (receiver) ethernet connection is randomly dropping. I don't stream music with it so the only way I know that it died is when I cannot power it up using irule. I need to do a power plug cycle, then turn the 1123 on manually before irule can resume control of it. It will work normally until it drops again. Drops are random, but usually occur only after hours, not minutes like others have reported. Asking Alexa to execute a discovery of devices does not create the problem. I have tried this several times and it has yet to knock the 1123 off-line.

My network consists of a Cox modem going to a D-Link wifi dual-band router, which outputs to a Netgear 24-port switch. My switch is NOT manageable. I tried creating a guest SSID and unticked the "enable routing between zones" box. This did not work. I also tried various settings on the router. None of these worked, however I have no-idea what I'm doing with this stuff.

I tried wireshark for several days to try to find an offending packet but I've since given-up because I'm not seeing packets that I know are being sent, etc. I have no experience with this app.

Anyhow, just wanted to relay my experience of device discovery not causing the problem, and see if there's anything new on this topic. Thanks to all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch340Duster View Post
        I am not a homeseer customer so my posts (if allowed) will technically be illegal, but maybe my input on this issue could help others or myself. I am having the same issue with my Pioneer VSX-1123. It started right after getting Alexa. At first I thought maybe it was a coincidence and it was time for a new receiver, but then I came-across this thread. I am an irule user for my home theater stuff so I need the receiver to be operable. I do not use airplay or any other internet streaming music stuff that may have been mentioned in previous posts.

Here's what I've found so-far...The 1123's (receiver) ethernet connection is randomly dropping. I don't stream music with it so the only way I know that it died is when I cannot power it up using irule. I need to do a power plug cycle, then turn the 1123 on manually before irule can resume control of it. It will work normally until it drops again. Drops are random, but usually occur only after hours, not minutes like others have reported. Asking Alexa to execute a discovery of devices does not create the problem. I have tried this several times and it has yet to knock the 1123 off-line.

My network consists of a Cox modem going to a D-Link wifi dual-band router, which outputs to a Netgear 24-port switch. My switch is NOT manageable. I tried creating a guest SSID and unticked the "enable routing between zones" box. This did not work. I also tried various settings on the router. None of these worked, however I have no-idea what I'm doing with this stuff.

I tried wireshark for several days to try to find an offending packet but I've since given-up because I'm not seeing packets that I know are being sent, etc. I have no experience with this app.

Anyhow, just wanted to relay my experience of device discovery not causing the problem, and see if there's anything new on this topic. Thanks to all.
        The Amazon Alexa's send a discover packet all on their own now. It is definitely the Amazon Echo Discovery packet
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Thanks for that, Ultra. So if I can come up with a way to block Alexa's UPnP/SSDP port 1900 from reaching the receiver would this be worth a try as a starting point? Is that correct as being the offending protocol (?) and port? I understand I might need different gear to do this. My nephew from out-of-state is a network guy so what I'm looking for is the info to get him in the right direction. If this is the correct guideline for him we should be able to take it from here. It'll be a while but I promise to report back with our fix for the issue.

Comment

Alternative Solution

Good golly I've been slamming my head against the wall for a few months now with this one. Perfectly stable network for over 2 years and suddenly two Pioneers kept dropping from the network within hours of being reset. Thanks to you all for this thread as I've tried Merlin firmware, static IP's, removing a DAP-1522, reboot after reboot, etc, all to no avail. It was Alexa all along. Found an alternative, easier solution, also. I just relegated Alexa to a guest wifi network separate from the receivers and the Pioneer's have stayed on the network for over 24 hrs now (for the first time since November!). Methinks isolating Alexa's chatter to another subnet will solve it-I know, not complicated, but effective. As long as your router (I have an Asus RT-AC66R) supports a guest network, you should be good to go.

Comment

Guest network solution didnt work for me. Receiver still drops, so I'm still in the trial and error phase. Maybe my router doesn't handle it well. Tried a firewall setting in my router, didnt work but I made a change to it now I'm waiting til tomorrow to see if it fails again (it prolly will) before going to plan-H.

Comment

Make sure your guest network is setup as Internet only and can not reach you regular lan with the Pioneers.

Comment

Alright so bear with me...My D-Link router has a box called "enable routing between zones"associated with the guest account. If this is unticked then guests (Alexa in this case) should not be able to access the rest of the network. As I said, this did not work for me, as Alexa still killed the receiver.
                  Since others seemed to have success with the guest network solution, I was just about to go buy another router when I realized something else. I have a smartthings hub in the house and Alexa controls my automation stuff through it. It seems like this won't work with the guest network thing. Alexa communicates the automation commands via wifi to the router, then from the router to the switch, to to the smartthings hub. If Alexa's wifi access is limited to internet only then theoretically communication to the hub should be blocked.
                  Why not just try it you ask? I did. Alexa still killed the receiver, but the hub still worked fine so I deleted the guest account. Given the above theory, at the time I did not understand how the hub could still be communicating, but now I wonder if the setting to block guest access to the LAN is even working at-all. If I buy a new router which fixes the receiver problem but prevents the smartthings hub from working then my problem remains. Thanks for listening

Comment

My Dlink DIR-880l works great but i use HomeSeer and Alexa routed control it it via Internet so isolating Alexa to a guest internet only account works.

Maybe the Alexa to Smartthings hub works in a similar way via Internet and cloud services.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch340Duster View Post
                      Alright so bear with me...My D-Link router has a box called "enable routing between zones"associated with the guest account. If this is unticked then guests (Alexa in this case) should not be able to access the rest of the network. As I said, this did not work for me, as Alexa still killed the receiver.
                      Since others seemed to have success with the guest network solution, I was just about to go buy another router when I realized something else. I have a smartthings hub in the house and Alexa controls my automation stuff through it. It seems like this won't work with the guest network thing. Alexa communicates the automation commands via wifi to the router, then from the router to the switch, to to the smartthings hub. If Alexa's wifi access is limited to internet only then theoretically communication to the hub should be blocked.
                      Why not just try it you ask? I did. Alexa still killed the receiver, but the hub still worked fine so I deleted the guest account. Given the above theory, at the time I did not understand how the hub could still be communicating, but now I wonder if the setting to block guest access to the LAN is even working at-all. If I buy a new router which fixes the receiver problem but prevents the smartthings hub from working then my problem remains. Thanks for listening
                      The original post provides a $62 solution to the problem.
                      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Ultrajones, Thank you for posting this fix as I found it searching for why my VSX-53 stopped working after buying the Echo dots. Found a used Netgear GS108T on Ebay for $40. Never used a managed switch before. Followed your screen shots and figured out how to assign the rule to port 1. Had to read the Netgear manual to figure that last piece out as it was not in your screen shot instructions. All is good now, and I learned a little bit more on networking. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Final Update from Me

I promised to report back so I'll summarize with bullet points.

Pioneer VSX1123 Receiver intermittently loses network connection requiring hard "reboot"

This thread indicated Alexa causing the problem. Troubleshooting verified this. Some say it will happen every 30 minutes and/or whenever discovering devices. In my case it was more like every 24 hours, and a manual device discovery would NOT create the problem.

Had a D-Link router. Created a guest network and unticked "enable routing between zones". This DID NOT prevent Alexa from killing the receiver.

Bought Netgear managed switch GS724T (decided against the 108 so-that I would not have to add another device to the system). Spent several days with this, finally cutting my losses. ACL setup is more complicated than it is with the 108. Nothing I did worked. Whenever I associated any ACL's or traffic rules to the physical port the receiver is connected to, all devices would either still connect to the receiver or none would. I was never able to isolate the tablet as being the only device allowed into the receiver or to bar Alexa from the rest of my network. Ugh.

Tried a new router, this time a Netgear AC1750. After having to reconfigure lots of stuff because of new ip addresses (another ugh) the guest network trick now definitely works for me.

Weird thing is that Alexa still communicates with Smartthings hub, which is an ethernet device .

Thanks again for everyone's help and input.

Comment

thanks for sharing

out of curiosity , what are you using the plug in for?
                            I also own a VSX 1123

Comment

plugin

I do not have any homeseer products but he was nice-enough to allow me to post here.

Comment

Possible cause and my workaround

I have Dots and Sony SA-NS400 wifi speakers. When the dots do a discovery, the speakers go offline and sometimes do not make it back on the network. Wireshark and the Intel Device Sniffer for UPNP show the dots sending an SSDP packet that is malformed, per the UPNP spec. The Search Target is to be a domain name, but the dots are sending:

M-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1
                                HOST: 239.255.255.250:1900
                                MAN: "ssdp:discover"
                                MX: 15
                                ST: urn:Belkin:device:**

Using netcat to send this packet, I can recreate this issue. I have a ticket open with Amazon's Technical Support and the development group is supposed to call in 3-5 days. I searched all over for people reporting the same thing, and this thread looked like the closest thing. I'm curious if any of you can reproduce this packet and see if it does not cause the issues you are seeing.

For the time being, I've blocked SSDP from the dots on the interface where the speakers are. I created a guest network that was open to the rest of my network. Then put the following in for each of the dots, replacing X.X.X.X with the IP:
                                Code:
                                ebtables -I FORWARD -o wl0.1 --protocol IPv4 --ip-source X.X.X.X --ip-destination 239.255.255.250 -j DROP
                                This allows the dots to get to discover everything else, and allows anything else to discover the speakers.

Comment

Working...
                                X