PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys!

Thank you Robert for the You Tube Video links.

Could someone provide a quick and easy "what is pfsense?" I understand it's a firewall, but I've never used anything more than "Windows Firewall." What is pfsense doing, why would I want it, etc. I saw a post mentioning blocking ads which is cool, does that require special settings/setup?

It is easier to do this today on a firewall then it is on your computers ad blocking software.Robert has posted links to utilizing PFSense.

Historically since the early days of the ISP Internet most / many folks would connect to the DSL modem / wireless modem / ISP cable modemin the beginning with one computer in the home.There wasn't much happening on the Internet so it was relatively safe. The early antivirus programs were just that and really didn't check the internet at all and mostly just would check files on your computer downloaded via email or whatever.With the proliferation of Wireless and using the ISP internet connection in a shared mode to more than one computer in the house we saw the advent of the combination wireless access point, switch, router, firewall box.

Similarly we saw local computer antivirus changing a bit to watching for malware coming from the internet.

As computers got faster running the AV/Firewall/ antimalware wasn't too difficult.

Personally here went to using windows with the first firewall installed in my home in the 1990's using DSL then to a simple firewall. Thinking it was an old 386 desktop with two network cards running Windows 3.X at the time.

Over the years here at home have used DDWRT / OpenWRT / Tomato OS's on the Linksys WRT and Buffalo routers and concurrently using linux software firewalls.

That and shifting the PC work of the firewall / AV / Malware to the firewall mostly to protect every connected to the internet device in the house.

Shifting the load of protection of the typical PC to the firewall lets me enjoy faster surfing and not worry about constantly updating my computers here with AV / Antimalware et al.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

In terms of timing, what are your dates to 1) reach decision on configuration/pricing and then 2) when would you like to place an order?

How are you thinking the logistics would work?

Comment

Pete, please add me to the list.

Thanks.
        -Chris

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
          I've been trying to learn as much as I can about pfSense but without having a system. I found a series of 13 videos on youtube from one guy that really explains pfSense very well. His presentation is good and well thought out. I highly recommend.

The first one is an intro to pfSense. Here is a link to all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...a2juUBxxFTH4Bk
          Nice reference. I just spent the last 6 hours viewing his videos and learned a lot.

Thanks,
          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            Pi-hole blocks ads and it is awesome. You just need a raspberry pi.
            I need pfsense to handle dhcp, firewall rules, Nats, etc. Currently that is a dd-wrt router that sits behind my att modem.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
            I've been trying to learn as much as I can about pfSense but without having a system. I found a series of 13 videos on youtube from one guy that really explains pfSense very well. His presentation is good and well thought out. I highly recommend.

The first one is an intro to pfSense. Here is a link to all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...a2juUBxxFTH4Bk
            Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Thank you guys!

Thank you Robert for the You Tube Video links.

Could someone provide a quick and easy "what is pfsense?" I understand it's a firewall, but I've never used anything more than "Windows Firewall." What is pfsense doing, why would I want it, etc. I saw a post mentioning blocking ads which is cool, does that require special settings/setup?

It is easier to do this today on a firewall then it is on your computers ad blocking software.Robert has posted links to utilizing PFSense.

Historically since the early days of the ISP Internet most / many folks would connect to the DSL modem / wireless modem / ISP cable modemin the beginning with one computer in the home.There wasn't much happening on the Internet so it was relatively safe. The early antivirus programs were just that and really didn't check the internet at all and mostly just would check files on your computer downloaded via email or whatever.With the proliferation of Wireless and using the ISP internet connection in a shared mode to more than one computer in the house we saw the advent of the combination wireless access point, switch, router, firewall box.

Similarly we saw local computer antivirus changing a bit to watching for malware coming from the internet.

As computers got faster running the AV/Firewall/ antimalware wasn't too difficult.

Personally here went to using windows with the first firewall installed in my home in the 1990's using DSL then to a simple firewall. Thinking it was an old 386 desktop with two network cards running Windows 3.X at the time.

Over the years here at home have used DDWRT / OpenWRT / Tomato OS's on the Linksys WRT and Buffalo routers and concurrently using linux software firewalls.

That and shifting the PC work of the firewall / AV / Malware to the firewall mostly to protect every connected to the internet device in the house.

Shifting the load of protection of the typical PC to the firewall lets me enjoy faster surfing and not worry about constantly updating my computers here with AV / Antimalware et al.
            Thank you guys for the info and the links!

That helped a lot, I'm in!

Comment

Add me to the list

Comment

Pete, please add me to the list as well. Thanks. With pfsense would one still need anti virus software on the desktop?

Comment

Pete, add me to the list too please!

Comment

Will do cjin and ckellyusa.

With pfsense would one still need anti virus software on the desktop?

PFSense plugin ClamAV protects the entrance of the Internet to your computers.

PFSense would be a replacement for your currently utilized combo box (except for the wireless pieces). Well on steroids. If you are currently using an ISP provided modem, switch, router, access point, firewall; you can continue to utilize it and put PFSense between it and your homenet (creating a bridge on one port or putting the port utilized in a DMZ).

Here my Comcast Motorola SB6141 connects to incoming cable. It has a USB port and Gb network port on it. The SB6141 connects to the WAN port on the PFSense box. The LAN port on the PFSense box connects to one managed 24 port switch.

You can configure the LAN port in to multiple VLANs such that you could virtual LANs and physically separate LANs.

With such an arrangement you can build a CCTV LAN either as a VLAN or physically separate network. With this you can configure a pin hole from your main lan to your CCTV lan to manage your cameras. There is a lot of flexibility with multiple network ports and using PFSense.

That said it will not protect your computer from a USB stick if it is infected.

I keep MS Essentials running on the older Windows computers. I do not do much at all with the Linux based computers relating to AV.

Here are some packages available for PFSense. These are adds sort of like plugins for PFSense. They are all free.
                    Attached Files
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

more PFSense plugins.
                      Attached Files
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Here is what appears to be a very active pfSense forum. Hopefully it will be a good resource as some of us get up to speed on a new product.

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php

Comment

Would there be any interest in a pfSense plugin?

If so, I think I'll throw my hat in the ring to develop...
                          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Pete,

I've been trying to understand the advantages of having my IP cameras on a VLan. Can you or Randy chime in?

We have 7 cameras running with BI.

Thanks,
                            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              Would there be any interest in a pfSense plugin?

If so, I think I'll throw my hat in the ring to develop...
                              Yaaahhh!
                              Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
                                Pete,

I've been trying to understand the advantages of having my IP cameras on a VLan. Can you or Randy chime in?

We have 7 cameras running with BI.

Thanks,

I have my cams on their own vlan for security reasons. Cams are really chatty and like to call home, and home is generally China. I don't trust that. Also cams are one of the more easier devices to hack into to do bad things, or get the video feed. My camera vlan is completely shut down to everything, except one port opened to my main vlan. I view my cameras remotely using HSTouch as a proxy.

I maintain 3 different vlans currently. One main one for me and my stuff, one for the cameras, and one for guest. The guest one only had access to the internet, nothing else. I also put my iOT devices I have (echos) on the guest network. They get hacked for some reason, I am still safer VS leaving them on the main.

Comment

Working...
                                X