No announcement yet.

Node-RED Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know you already said there were not going to have that much interest for linux , but what would be the benefit of this plugin if i already run node red and mosquitto (i installed mosquitto server package from apt method) on the same machine as i run hs3. I did also set a smba share for my node-red directory to be able to easily acces it from other pc on my network. I also created a node red sysmd service.

Then, what would be the integration of your plugin with Hs3, And the benefits?

+ You talked about pm2 ...and that makes me think about something..
    What about an option in your plugin to control the nodes of the different npm package we can find on the web?
    Last edited by ; July 5, 2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Here are two package from nodered trying to implement the nodes from npm into nodered.

I was not able to make them work.
      So if your plugin is able to control/read nodes from the different npm package. That would be a very user friendly plugin to npm.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by ; July 5, 2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

@Summerguy....trying here to install two npm's you mention above...

Taking a long time here....installed fine here on an RPi2 / Stretch box / node red owfs and node red mosquitto broker...

[ATTACH]69723[/ATTACH]

@John,

I concur with Summerguy as here always trying new NPM's either installed manually (clip and paste) or automagically such that you plugin should work the same way.

I have never had an issue with different versions of Ubuntu or Linux 32 bit or 64 bit from the very first time I could run Homeseer 3 on Linux. (IE: it even ran on the PogoPlug / Dockstar Debian). Mono versions did not cause abends of Homeseer here...just nuances relating to methodologies of use.

When at work typically had a Windows desktop and a Linux desktop. Mostly my work though used Linux as it was much easier to do command line stuff to routers and switches here than the mickey mouse Cisco gui's at the time. The servers that never broke were Linux/ Unix based. One day had to work with a Sun box that had worked fine for over 20 years except that the network stack was too primitive to work with a new switch.

For Windows the only issues related to 32 bit versus 64 bit and knowing the differences between XP, W7, W8, W8.1 and W10. W10 is more of a cloud based OS these days. W8 embedded is more cloud than PC these days.

In the Homeseer 2 days moved to a custom lite build of Windows server 32 bit and never had an issue after that. (same with testing embedded XP, W7 and W8).

IE: in the early Insteon "salad" days I always go BSOD's on the Windows server box.
        Last edited by Pete; July 5, 2018, 06:57 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I think there's a primary understanding issue here.

npm = Node Package Manager. Package installer for node. Like apt for Ubuntu

node = Node.js the underlying run-time... like mono or java jre

node-red = node application

PM2 = node application service manager like systemd for node apps

node-red runs on top of node.js and npm is a package manager used to install node-red and other node.js applications. PM2 is a process manager for node applications and provides service availability to those "servers" running on node.

All are separate "products" managed and maintained by different "projects". Today current releases of node include npm as standard. node-red is external.

node-red has the ability to install a "flow" that can call npm to then install other node packages and interact with them. That is what node-red does, it ties into things.

The point of the PI is to can all of this for those who either don't know how to install the pieces or don't want to mess with setting up yet another system to maintain.

Comment

Maybe write the plugin to run remotely to Homeseer 3 similiar but not the same as the ZNet.

It would be only the add of a $35 RPi plus your custom plugin add and remote connectivity to either a Windows or Linux Homeseer 3 box.

It is easy and that is one of the new Homeseer 3 features....

RPi would be doing:

mono noderedplugin.exe HSServerIP

You would install the mono plugin on an RPi (easy peasey stuff) then remote the plugin to Homeseer 3.

I am doing this now with two Node Red (RPi's) speaking Mosquitto to Homeseer 3 mcsMQTT. I manage the Node Red via the web interface with all of it's eye candy.

The two Node Red's are configured as hardware interfaces talking to OWFS and SonOff Wifi basic devices. (well more with the Attic RPi).
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
              I think there's a primary understanding issue here.

npm = Node Package Manager. Package installer for node. Like apt for Ubuntu

node = Node.js the underlying run-time... like mono or java jre

node-red = node application

PM2 = node application service manager like systemd for node apps

node-red runs on top of node.js and npm is a package manager used to install node-red and other node.js applications. PM2 is a process manager for node applications and provides service availability to those "servers" running on node.

All are separate "products" managed and maintained by different "projects". Today current releases of node include npm as standard. node-red is external.

node-red has the ability to install a "flow" that can call npm to then install other node packages and interact with them. That is what node-red does, it ties into things.

The point of the PI is to can all of this for those who either don't know how to install the pieces or don't want to mess with setting up yet another system to maintain.
              would it be possible to do something like the two node-red package i showed , but for homeSeer?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                @Summerguy....trying here to install two npm's you mention above...

i am able to install them. Bu i do not know how to import the nodes form the npm package i find on the web. I tried this like 4 month ago, maybe i should give it a try again.

Did you tried to install a npm package via one of these two nodes, on Nodered? this is where I was blocked, nothing happened. or i got errors , don't remember.

Comment

I think there's confusion here about what "node" and "npm" are.....

What has been shown is using node-red as a Web Based front end to npm...

Comment

I think there's confusion here about what "node" and "npm" are.....

What has been shown is using node-red as a Web Based front end to npm...
                    I understand the difference, it just take to much time for me to translate all that in english, i am french natively. I took shortcut, sorry. i know npm is a package mamanger , so you could do the same with yarn.

what i want to say is there are a lot of nodes available from the npm site ( or yarn etc)... which have not be forked to node-red. But there is a tool which can do that in node red... ( see the last picture I posted )

here is an exemple of this in action : http://jamesthom.as/blog/2016/01/04/...s-in-node-red/

it would be nice to have something similar to this... but for homeseer.

if it is not clear , i will do another thread , because i think i hijacking this one

Comment

Going back to node-red:

as someone said, many other system has node-red avaiable via a plugin update ( ex: https://github.com/notoriousbdg/hass...aster/node-red), so that is a nice idea.

But, do you plan to do something similar with HomeSeer as in this picture ( openhab and home-assistant nodes in node-red).
                      https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...ntrib-openhab2
                      https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-...home-assistant

Even pimatic has this this type of nodes in node-red itself: https://flows.nodered.org/node/node-red-contrib-pimatic
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
                        I understand the difference, it just take to much time for me to translate all that in english, i am french natively. I took shortcut, sorry. i know npm is a package mamanger , so you could do the same with yarn.

what i want to say is there are a lot of nodes available from the npm site ( or yarn etc)... which have not be forked to node-red. But there is a tool which can do that in node red... ( see the last picture I posted )

here is an exemple of this in action : http://jamesthom.as/blog/2016/01/04/...s-in-node-red/

it would be nice to have something similar to this... but for homeseer.

if it is not clear , i will do another thread , because i think i hijacking this one
                        So you're asking about porting node modules to homeseer like the node-red-contrib-npm is importing a node into node-red?

Comment

But I do not know how to import the nodes form the npm package i find on the web. I tried this like 4 month ago, maybe i should give it a try again.

Did you tried to install a npm package via one of these two nodes, on Nodered? this is where I was blocked, nothing happened. or i got errors , don't remember.

Used to do this via command line before I installed Node-Red.

I had issues until I did this via sudo user and was in the correctly installed NPM directory.

Much easier though to copy and paste flows and import or add new NPM's once you have Node Red installed. Node Red does work on anything these days. (ARM, Intel or AMD).

Reading and trying my luck with installing Node Red on a micro router (OpenWRT). It will work if I share OS space to a USB stick.

Pushing the Attic RPi2 here have run OpenHAB #2 and Domoticz on it OK...but a bit slow...
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

So you're asking about porting node modules to homeseer like the node-red-contrib-npm is importing a node into node-red?
                            yes, I should have said it like that haha ...

Comment

Originally posted by Summerguy View Post
                              yes, I should have said it like that haha ...
                              The thing is that node modules and node-red are written in javascript and node-red is just a javascript running on top of the node runtime. Due to this relationship it makes it much simpler to just import another node module.

Trying to do the same of HomeSeer importing a node.js module and run it natively is not really possible with HomeSeer running on .NET/Mono. There are ways to bridge them individually, but at the moment I don't see a way of bridging them all. There may be a way to do it. But at the moment I don't see a way without porting the whole node.js system to .NET.

Per your other question of using Node-RED to interact with HS3 through Node-RED Flows.... there's a module for that out on github. I don't know how extensive it is or how good it is.

Comment

Thank you for thoses explanations. I’ll check the github package by curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                                X