Linux Tools / Change system password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading this thread http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=171491

But I can't get it to work.

I installed the aha package.

I created a user named homeseer on my debian jessie machine and on the homeseer webpage with the hsthsths3 password.
    Rebooted the machine a couple of times but when I try to change the password I get this pop up

Code:
    Result: Current password incorrect.
     /etc/HomeSeer/./change_password.sh: line 3: ./check_passwd: No such file or directory
    and whenever I try to skip this and go directly to linux tools and fill in a user and a password I get the error

Code:
    Password incorrect.

Guessing here as I am typing blindly.

Create a password for Homeseer user.

Give rights to the Homeseer directory to sudo users.

Use the same password you created and change it to the same password.

The utility works well. You might want to use SSH though remotely which is a bit simpler.

And maybe install Webmin on the device.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Debian Jessie doesn't install sudo if you fill in a root password with the installation so I took the following steps

Code:
      aptitude -y install sudo
      usermod -aG sudo homeseer
      chown -R root:sudo /etc/HomeSeer
      chmod -R 775 /etc/HomeSeer
      reboot
      Still same errors.

I just wanted to take full advantage of the software. Maybe it will come in handy some day for commands like top / free / df
      At the other hand I've read that installing sudo is less secure and giving homeseer user root privileges is a little bit to much for just these simple commands.

Webmin installs a lot of extra's and I want to keep the machine as clean as possible.

Comment

When bringing up the HS3 GUI after the updates then create a homeseer admin user with your own password.

When requested to change the password use this password and then change it to the same password. You should not see a password error then. Then afterwards try the Linux commands. Sudo use is the base for any Linux installation these days and root use is mostly prohibited to protect the user.

It is understood that Webmin adds a bit. Here only utilize it to upgrade / update and watch the hardware / software utilization via a web gui.

That said the HS3 Linux machine is just that. It is typically a headless box with a lite gui or no gui. It is not meant to be a desktop replacement or for surfing the web.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete for all your input.
          Alas it's still not working but I'll give up for now since I have a lot of other stuff to do before I can switch over from Vera to Homeseer.

Comment

I had the same issues for a couple of years here in the beginning of using HS3 for Linux.

I just ignored it and went to using SSH for a time. I revisited it one day changing the user name and playing around with the homeseer user name and then it worked. This though involved user name and rights to the Homeseer directory. Here put the HomeSeer directories in the root of both of my Linux boxes rather the /usr/share/HomeSeer directory.

That said have a look at the scripts running in the /HomeSeer directory as many are configured for HomeSeer to be in the /usr/share/HomeSeer directory.

I just ran the ./check_passwd application and do not get an error. I do recall this being an issue way back.

root@ics-HS3:/HomeSeer# ./check_passwd

The above doesn't error out today.
            root@ics-HS3:/HomeSeer# ls check*
            check_passwd

I also recall skipping the change password stuff making the Linux commands work with the current homeseer sudo password I had set up first then later getting the change password stuff to work.

The commands check_password(hashed_password, user_password) appear to be openssl python commands. Just a guess here.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Ifthis hosted on an RPI, and you are attempting to run HS3 standard/pro. If this is the case, note the Check_passwd file is compiled in x86 did you replace it with the ARM compiled version?

If you move to your HomeSeer directory you can run:
              file check_passwd

And show us the output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Almost forgot that I started here when I got HS.
                I have to admit that I still haven't fixed it but to be honest I haven't had the need to use this function yet because ssh to the debian box is just as fast if you have a ssh key.

It's running on a intel nuc debian jessie so no arm processor

Comment

@alan,

It is interesting that you are running Debian Jessie on the Intel NUC.

I tried Debian Jessie (well Pixel) here on an old laptop and it worked nicely and it was a bit skinnier than Ubuntu.

Pixel doesn't run in 64 bit mode though.

That said though went to Ubuntu 64bit on my Pine64/2Gb machine and Ubuntu 64bit on my Xi5a for running Zee-Lite.
                  Last edited by Pete; March 25, 2017, 10:47 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Well actually it's running on a ESX 6.0 host.
                    I really wanted an easy way to roll back updates or undo mistakes and snapshots makes that easy.

After I installed ESX I just followed the official installation instructions for linux that are linked here http://www.homeseer.com/current-downloads.html

For those who are interested, the system is a fanless Intel nuc ML100-30G

Comment

Try using credentials that have sudo on the host machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X