Dealing with local control of lamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with local control of lamps

Looking for any possible solution to this problem, surely I'm not the only one with it.

I have many lamps in our house (wife loves them). So I put lamp modules (plug in outlet, plug lamp into it) on them to control. Problem is, wife or in-laws, or pretty much everyone comes into the room and turns the switch on the lamp socket to operate. Well if the lamp was on this works fine, but now I have no control over light with the system. If the lamp was off, then they tell me I have a burnt out bulb since the light did not come on. Inevitably the lamps are always messed up. As I see it, the only option would be a z wave lamp socket. I see several that screw into the existing base, but this won't solve my problem (They will still be able to turn original switch). I need one that replaces the base (solder wires to it). Does such a thing exist? Does anyone else have another workaround? Thanks!

I found this https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...658221467.html
    Min order is 5000.

I give up on this and make sure I had some type of local control nearby. Either a tablet or minimote.

Those outlets are interesting. See if they'll send you a demo unit.

Comment

Originally posted by victorb17 View Post
      I have many lamps in our house (wife loves them). So I put lamp modules (plug in outlet, plug lamp into it) on them to control. Problem is, wife or in-laws, or pretty much everyone comes into the room and turns the switch on the lamp socket to operate.
      I agree, this can be a real headache.

The problem varies a bit by technology. Most lamp modules are designed to detect a local 'On', so they will turn on if the lamp is changed from off to on locally. That doesn't resolve the inevitable problem that results when a lamp is left off locally. The only resolution there is a "training" program to guide people away from the lamp switch. As Tomgru notes, a necessary condition is ready access to an alternative control point, but some practice and instruction - as well as lots of patience - will still be needed.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

There are zwave bulbs but they have the same shortcomings as zwave sockets

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/g...RoCMrkQAvD_BwE

If the load is turned off locally, the light can't be controlled remotely etc.

Just spitballing but I think I have a fairly elegant solution....

multiple lamps mean you probably have a variety of switch designs; rocker switch, chain, twist etc.

Remove the local switch and change every lamp to a single universal design; using a momentary switch.

something like this;

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/5...y-switch-black

or perhaps the peddle version that sits on the floor.

Same switch means if you know how to turn one lamp on/off you know how they all work.

take a zwave lamp module. It will need to be one that uses a momentary switch to provide local control. Open the module and bypass the built in switch using your new momentary switch. You'd still want the new momentary switch to appear to be an inline switch installed on the power cord to prevent confusion. I would probably find some 14 ga wire with 4 wires in a single sheath and use that as the power cord between the lamp module and the momentary switch. Keep in mind your new momentary switch is not wired to the load, its wires are parallel to the load and only connect to the lamp modules momentary switch.

This should provide both local, remote and up to date status for each lamp (assuming your lamp modules supports instant status) The lamps would also work independently of homeseer should it be down for whatever reason.
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 1005
        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Very interesting. I will look into this and let you know if I work anything out.

Comment

Control them by motion have the lights on before anyone enters the room?
            Remove the lamp switches, and have them all controlled by hitting the light switch in the entry?

Comment

Now that I remember it I remember seeing this but could never find it shipping in the United States.http://www.controlliving.com/product...-kabel-dimmer/

Comment

Working...
              X