Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any hope of improving the plugin update process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any hope of improving the plugin update process?

Unless my experience is unique, I find the process of updating plugins fraught with issues.

Today I updated 5 plugins. One went smoothly and four did not. I recognize that plugins are controlled by the original developers - but one of the plugins was a native homeseer plugin. Here was my experience:

1 updated fine - didn't need to shut it down beforehand.

2 failed during the update process. So I had to run the updates one by one by disabling the plugin, running the update then enabling the plugin.

1 failed, so I disabled the plugin, but then the option to update it disappeared. Refreshing the page didn't do anything so I eventually restarted Homeseer, was able to click on the update link, then shut the plugin down, run the update and enable it.

Twice during this process the Update Listing section showed the same update twice, when I tried to remove one it removed both.

Once, after shutting down the plugin, updating it, the plugin disappeared from my list of installed plugins - a restart of Homeseer was required for it to be recognized again.

And when running the Z-wave update, instead of showing an error message in the log, a pop-up window appeared on the Homeseer application on my server indicating that a file was in use.

Through various combinations of shutting down plugins, downloading files manually, restarting several times, I was able to get all plugins up to date.

It would seem that some attention should be given to this to allow this process to run more smoothly?

Yeah, I've gone through that 'whack a mole' process, not fun.

Now I disable all PI's that are getting updated before hand. Since I've started doing that I rarely have a problem.
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
      Yeah, I've gone through that 'whack a mole' process, not fun.

Now I disable all PI's that are getting updated before hand. Since I've started doing that I rarely have a problem.
      I do the same thing now. Just disable, update, then enable.

Comment

I do the same as above. Disable update enable. Some times I even have to disable restart HS3 then update and re enable. No doubt there could be a for sure process.

Comment

I find that some PIs show the updated version dynamically after updating them; some require a page refresh and some only show the updated version after an HS restart. I also experience the double entries and some update failures even with disabling plugins first.
          cheeryfool

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
            I do the same, but even then I still have problems. One other step that seems to help is that I check to see if the disabled plug-in process is running in Task Master after the plug-in is disabled. If the process is still running, the update will almost certainly fail. Killing it in Task Manager works - sometimes. A HS restart is probably a better solution.
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

There is a bug in the current update process on Linux. The DELFILES command fails quite often, its a timing issue (the files to be deleted are part of the plugin but the plugin hasn't finished fully unloading). They put a fix in the current beta, that should help somewhat (if you are on Linux)...

Comment

Working...
              X