This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Problem

Running current Homeseer HS2 version 2.4.0.11 on a quad processor HP desktop. OS is MS Windows 7 64bit. I use Insteon devices exclusively communication via usb PLM from Smarthome. System will run for several days at a time and then all of a sudden stop communicating with the PLM. Error says that comm port 4 was closed. If I reboot the computer HS2 works again until the next error condition occurs.

Attached is the most recent error log.

This computer is basically my home computer and is used only to store/edit pictures, videos, etc.

Mike
    Attached Files

Originally posted by mikeazaz View Post
    Running current Homeseer HS2 version 2.4.0.11 on a quad processor HP desktop. OS is MS Windows 7 64bit. I use Insteon devices exclusively communication via usb PLM from Smarthome. System will run for several days at a time and then all of a sudden stop communicating with the PLM. Error says that comm port 4 was closed. If I reboot the computer HS2 works again until the next error condition occurs.

Attached is the most recent error log.

This computer is basically my home computer and is used only to store/edit pictures, videos, etc.

Mike
    Mike,

this is known as the 'usb disconnect' issue. Noise from the powerline is causing the usb connection between the plm and the computer to drop then close. Its a known issue with the internal chipset that the plm uses.

here are a few things to try to resolve the issue:

1. verify you have the latest ftdi chipset drivers v2.8.8 from ftdichip.com (just released this week)

2. try to determine if the disconnect is associated with another event in the house like a washing machine running.

3. put a usb hub between the pc and plm; this helps buffer the noise

unfortunately i haven't been successful in restarting the comm with the plm via the plugin so a restart of hs is required for now.

good luck and let us know if you need further help
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,

Which new drivers should I use. The VCP or D2XX? Will also get a usb hub as you suggest and try that. Have not noticed any significant power line event in relation to the disconnect.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikeazaz View Post
        Mark,

Which new drivers should I use. The VCP or D2XX? Will also get a usb hub as you suggest and try that. Have not noticed any significant power line event in relation to the disconnect.

Thanks for your help,

Mike
        Mike, use the VCP (virtual com port) drivers
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          Mike,

this is known as the 'usb disconnect' issue. Noise from the powerline is causing the usb connection between the plm and the computer to drop then close. Its a known issue with the internal chipset that the plm uses.

here are a few things to try to resolve the issue:

1. verify you have the latest ftdi chipset drivers v2.8.8 from ftdichip.com (just released this week)

2. try to determine if the disconnect is associated with another event in the house like a washing machine running.

3. put a usb hub between the pc and plm; this helps buffer the noise

unfortunately i haven't been successful in restarting the comm with the plm via the plugin so a restart of hs is required for now.

good luck and let us know if you need further help
          How does one update to the latest driver V2.8.8, it doesn't contain an setup.exe file?

Thanks
          KeithH

Comment

Originally posted by khyatt View Post
            How does one update to the latest driver V2.8.8, it doesn't contain an setup.exe file?

Thanks
            KeithH
            from the windows device manager, you can open the properties dialog for the given device (under Ports) and use the 'update driver' btn. from there you can just follow the wizard.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
              from the windows device manager, you can open the properties dialog for the given device (under Ports) and use the 'update driver' btn. from there you can just follow the wizard.
              Mark
              Thanks for the help, will try the update. Latest plugin version .22 is running well controlling the MorningLinc, adding access points and other devices this week. So far the X10 looks improved over the CM11A, time will tell.

Thanks again,

KeithH

Comment

Working...
              X