Convert 1 zone to 2 zone using Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert 1 zone to 2 zone using Homeseer

New to home automation, Haven't even ordered HomeSeer yet. Looking to automate, light, HVAC, IRRIGATION, Garagae, lock and TV/AV room.

I currently have 1 zone thermostat setup downstairs. Thinking of ways to improve system into a fake 2 zone with home automation.

Anyone attempted it?

First Stage
    Add sensors upstairs to measure temperature.
    Modify target so upstairs temperature target is reached at night.

Second Stage
    Get 2 Automated dampers and install them where the HVAC forks up and down (not even sure if that's possible)
    Add some z wave Contact relay to get dampers to open or close.
    Setup thermostat to run so that both zone reach their target temperature.
    In practice because have different target for upstairs and downstairs during day/night. It's probably easier to have upstairs damper closed during the day and downstairs one open.

There are air flow considerations as well. If you have a damper closed to one half of the house the back pressure (or 'static' pressure) may increase too much, impeding airflow, so a bypass damper may be required as well. But introducing a bypass duct has its own set of problems.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this as a DIY project unless you have a sound understanding of HVAC.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks,

Back pressure would be an issue even if we have a return in every room?

Anyway, I think you are right, it's a bit overkill. It s already enough to monitor upstairs temperature/humidity to trigger hvac. Some honey well thermostat have several sensor on different floor to achieve the same thing. It's a relatively small house. We are doing an extension with new zones so it doesn't really matter.

Comment

Working...
      X