LED dimmer controller Z-wave integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED dimmer controller Z-wave integration

I am installing recessed ceiling lights with a proper dimming controller. This controller accepts Z-wave dimming commands and Pulse Width Modulates (PWM) the 12VDC supply to implement what 120VAC line voltage have such trouble with; LED dimming.

But that isn't really the subject of this post. Rather, I would like to understand what Z-wave dimmer switch to use to (I think) interface with HS3 to control the LED controller. The Z-wave switch will be wired to the 120V line which powers the 12VDC supply, which in turn powers the LED dimmer. So the switch can switch power to the LED 12V supply on and off. Dimming, however, happens only over Z-wave. This is the part with which I am unfamiliar.

I guess I am missing an understanding of how this Z-wave dimmer would work, as it is not chopping the 120VAC like your typical dimmer. It is just sending a dimming command to the controller.

Here are the system components:
    Solid Apollo Z-Wave LED Dimmer Controller

Mean Well 12VDC power supply http://www.meanwellusa.com/productSe...7&c=6#tag-6-17
    Mean Well SDR-120-12 120W Single Output Industrial DIN RAIL with PFC Function
    These have power factor correction, 50% over rating for 80W of lamps in the living room, and tolerate high attic temperatures. No fan either.

Cooper housings http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...r36_ar111.html
    This specific model for AR111 high CRI 12VDC dimmable lamp
    P5 M5P36 E5AA_5" IC PAR36 Adjustable Accent

SORAA lamps https://www.soraa.com/products/24-AR111#
    SORAA 3000K 35degree beam AR111 95CRI 1000 lumen lamp
    SR111-18-36D-930-03

We have Fibaro LED z-wave dimmers and they work very well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P1N68FW...a-310901297890
    Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
      We have Fibaro LED z-wave dimmers and they work very well.
      I need a Z-Wave dimmer switch to work with the Solid Apollo controller, not a different RGBW controller.

Comment

A zwave switch will not work in this application. You will have to use a scene controller.

A cooper 5 button scene controller may work if it recognizes the apollo as a dimming zwave device. My cooper recognizes my aeotec micro dimmers allowing the cooper to dim them up or down as well as turn them on/off.
        https://shop.homeseer.com/collection...r-alpine-white

If you want to use something closer to the appearance of a standard wall switch could use one of the HS-WD100/HS-WS100 or 200 dimmers/switches. You'd need to write a script triggered from the central scene's event; 001/002 Key Held Down/released to dim up/down.

Another option would be to use the above switch and again using the central scene change the dim level by say 15% for every double tap. And/or have various multi taps set to preset dim levels.

Yet another option, install a touchscreen, deploy a customized HStouch and use a slider bar to set the dim level.
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 1005
        Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
          A zwave switch will not work in this application. You will have to use a scene controller.
          Thank you @jmaddox. Yes, I think I had started to realize a scene controller would handle the dimming. Is there any such animal as a combination Z-wave switch and a basic scene controller? Switch to power on/off the entire circuit, scene controller to access the dimming function. Would appear and function just like an old-fashioned dimmer, but with HS3. I know, I'm asking for a lot.

I can't even imagine the time and effort involved in "install a touchscreen, deploy a customized HStouch and use a slider bar to set the dim level"

Comment

I know it's two weeks later, but the HS WS-100 or -200 should work. With the wall switches (as opposed to dimmers) you can't get stuck sending a dimmed voltage to the box, and the paddle still works as a scene controller with the taps and hold/release.

Comment

Originally posted by B1Trash View Post
              I know it's two weeks later, but the HS WS-100 or -200 should work. With the wall switches (as opposed to dimmers) you can't get stuck sending a dimmed voltage to the box, and the paddle still works as a scene controller with the taps and hold/release.
              Thank you for the response. I am in the midst of puzzling out the logistics of sloped housings that accept DC LED lamps. I think I nearly have it nailed down, and will definitely need a wall switch that can Z-wave dim as opposed to chopping the 120V. If it can serve double-duty as a dimmer in an intuitive manner, that would be ideal. Home automation is cool, but I would really like "standard" behavior as well.

I'll post up the appropriate hardware recipe for DC-dimming LEDs when I'm done.

Comment

Here are the DC LED lights with a DC Z-wave dimmer from Solid Apollo. My installation is discussed here. The lights are standard 12VDC AR111 form factor from SORAA, 95CRI pretty much the best there is. Movie theater level dimming, perfect without flicker or buzzing. The components aren't unreasonably-priced. But it does break the paradigm of chopping the 120V waveform. You can re-use your old wires to some extent, but the AR111 DC lamp may not fit some fixtures.

In my case I was putting in new recessed ceiling lights. So it wasn't a big deal. Really the only trouble with this retrofit is the AR111 form factor, which is likely addressable in a can lighting situation with the proper insert bracket.

If you are able to provide some script setup guidance for implementing the press-and-hold in the WS-100+ for dimming it is appreciated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181208_112404_AR111_LED_12V_dimmable.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	1265217

Comment

Working...
                X