www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Security Systems Plug-ins > Security System Discussion

Old October 25th, 2008, 12:41 AM
OverSeer

DS10a / Doorbell Interfacing

I'll try it tomorrow, but has anyone just taken that magnetic switch and layed it against the coils of a conventional plunger style doorbell to see if it toggles the DS10a state? Normally I'd just try it but since it is 9:40 pm PST I think the WAF would drop.

~Bill
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Seer Deluxe

Bill, this works great! Been doing this almost a year.
Rick
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:57 AM
OverSeer

Same here and it too works perfect.
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
OverSeer

Here's mine.
Attached Images

Old October 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM
OverSeer

That's just how I envisioned it.
Thank you for posting that.
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
Here's mine.
So lemme see if I get this right... im not sure so forgive me..

the ds10a with wires and normal end go near the coily thingy.... so im gonna guess that when the rod goes in... that acts as a magnet? hence where the ds10a triggers?

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368

Plugins - BLLAN 2.0.38.0 | BLRF 2.0.93.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.8 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.150

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
OverSeer

That coil thingy is an electromagnet so it activates the sensor.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Seer Master

Thumbs up Omg!

This is ingenious! Never thought of trying this. I wound up replacing my lighted doorbell button with an unlit one and DS10a wires to that. It was a PITA. So much so that when we moved, I never hooked it up.

I'm going to try this tomorrow!

I love this board......

Rob
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Seer Master

Thumbs up Finally!

It only took 3 months, but I finally got around to doing this bell mod. It took about 4 minutes. I stuffed the reed switch box in between the electro magnet and some big hunk of plastic. It worked the first time. It did NOT work the second time when I took the striking rod out, but it worked the third time when I put the rod back in. When it was all said and done, I actually left the chime bars in, but buffered them with some foam tape. Now the actual bell is nearly silent.

This is SUCH a great way to do this. Considering the pains I went through to rewire the doorbell switch in my old house......this is SO much eaier. And it works just as well! ...and if WAF degradates, I can convert it back in about 2 minutes!

THANKS FOR THE IDEA! This board is incredible!

Rob
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Seer Deluxe

I need help with my doorbell setup. I've attached my doorbell and need to know where to place the ends of the DS10a once I snip off the Magnetic end. Any help would be appricated.

http://romperroommc.com/doorbell.jpg / Didn't want to clutter the screen up so I just put link
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmiller View Post
I need help with my doorbell setup. I've attached my doorbell and need to know where to place the ends of the DS10a once I snip off the Magnetic end. Any help would be appricated.

http://romperroommc.com/doorbell.jpg / Didn't want to clutter the screen up so I just put link
You can't connect the DS10A wires to the door bell without some other "electronics" because the door bell power supply supplies too much power and will burn up the DS10A. See the image below (or above) that I posted to allow the magnet to pick up on the slider. Otherwise you will have to build a circuit to interface the 2 pieces.
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Seer Deluxe

Ah I see, when I first looked I didn't notice the magnet. I see it now, it's just near the coil. So when the coil is active it will pick the magnetic field up and send the signal.

I have 2 colds does it matter which one?
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmiller View Post
Ah I see, when I first looked I didn't notice the magnet. I see it now, it's just near the coil. So when the coil is active it will pick the magnetic field up and send the signal.

I have 2 colds does it matter which one?
It shouldn't matter but on mine one coil is for the front door the other is for the back door. Also note that I had to cut part of the plastic off the magnet cover to get it close enough.
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Seer Deluxe

Yes I see that as well now. I will have to tinker with it. Will let you know how it turns out
Old December 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Seer Deluxe

I got it working, but I have to hold the bell in longer than most people would press it for. Is there any way to fix that?
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Seer Master

Your magnet switch may not be close enough to the coil. The DS10a actually responds very quickly. For mine I attached a relay across the coil and tied the DS10a leads directly to the relay. It's been 100% reliable even when the UPS guy does his famous 2ms ring.
Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.
Old December 17th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Seer Deluxe

Reid,

Could you explain more? I'm not familiar with what to do in this case.
Old December 17th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Seer Master

What I did was connect the contacts of a 24VAC SPDT relay to the wires that drive the coil. This way when the doorbell button is pressed it energizes both the doorbell coil and the relay. I then unscrewed the magnet switch from the DS10a (you won't need it) and connected the leads directly to the dry contact terminals of the relay. I connected the DS10a to the normally closed side of the relay, so when the bell rings, it energizes the relay, breaking the connection across the dry contacts. This way the doorbell shows up as Normal status and Alert when it rings. Note that I think most doorbells run off a 16VAC transformer. It was easier for me to find a 24VAC relay and swap out the transformer with a spare 24V one I had laying around than it was to find a 16VAC relay.

I've attached a couple of pictures to help illustrate.
Attached Images

Old December 17th, 2011, 03:30 PM
OverSeer

What is the "typical" voltage for a door bell for us non electronic types?
Old December 17th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Seer Master

From what I've seen in the US most doorbells operate off a 16 volt AC transformer. I decided to replace mine with a spare 24V AC transformer I had from an irrigation project and use an easier to find 24V relay. I also have the added benefit of my doorbell being slightly louder now.