This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Linux Instructions for MAC OS

HS3 for Linux may also be installed on MAC OS.

Note that HS3 on the MAC has only had limited testing so feedback is welcome.

To install on your MAC:

1) Install MONO

A installer for the MAC is available here:

http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Download the MRE installer and open it to install.

2) Download the latest HS3 for Linux TAR file, posted in another thread.

3) The download will be in your downloads folder. Extract all the files using your favorite method. You can do this from a Terminal window. Change directory to your Downloads folder then extract the files with:

tar xvf [tar filename]

4) When the files are extracted a folder named "HomeSeer" is created. Open a terminal window and change directory to the HomeSeer folder. Then run HS3 with the command:

./go

It may prompt you for your system password.

++++++++++++++++

Known issues:

* UPNP does not seem to run and will log an error message. Go into HS3 setup and disable UPNP. It is not really needed as you can use the URL find.homeseer.com to find the HomeSeer web server.

* Ideally, HS3 should start when the MAC starts. If a MAC expert can post instructions on how to do this, I can add those instructions to this post.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

If you want to autostart HS3 on a MAC

Open> Settings
    Select> Users and Groups
    Select> Login Items
    Select> + (on the lower left hand corner)
    Open> Users>username>Applications
    Select> the application you want to start on login

Reboot you MAC and it should start the application

Comment

Did the voice get resolved

I tried this a month or so ago and voice did not work - has that been resolved?

Comment

I'm having a problem running on OSX with both version 3.0.0.54 and 3.0.0.55. As soon as I start HS, I get repeated errors:
        Code:
        [Error]->GetLog Error: sqlite3_column_database_name16
        Most things seem to be working OK except for the event log. Any ideas?

Comment

Comment

Same issue here. I'm guessing SQLite3's not included when we do the Mac install instructions...

In the meantime, if you want to see the event log (and you know some SQL), you can access it directly by running:

Code:
            $ sqlite3 Logs/HomeSeerLog.hsd
            Then run a query like this:

Code:
            SELECT * FROM log ORDER BY Log_DateTime Desc Limit 20;
            I'm going to keep digging (off and on) to see if I can find out how to get the SQLite support in Mono on Mac. In the meantime, if someone else finds out please let us all know!

Edit: Forgot to mention... It's strange how HomeSeer can actually write to the log database, but not read from it...

Comment

I've tried fiddling around with a couple of downloads of System.Data.SQLite.dll; one for Windows 32-bit .NET framework 4.0, and the other for the same but with the C++ runtimes statically linked. Although I'm a programmer, and I deal a bit with .NET, I'm not quite familiar with it on this level...yet

Anyway, does anyone know where HST downloaded the SQLite DLL that's in the ZIP file that we download? It's version 1.0.87, and I've seen version 1.0.90 out. Doubtful, but perhaps the bug we're seeing is just because the DLL's out of date? I'd say more than likely though it's related to trying to run that DLL on Mac & Mono...

The other option is to custom-build SQLite from source. I'm guessing HomeSeer (at least on Mono) is running 32-bit / .NET 4.0, but it'd be nice to know for sure before heading down that road

Comment

I have tested HS3 3.0.0.66 and my PLCBUS plugin both running on my iMac under mono, and it worked.

However, I couldn't connect the Mac plugin to the Windows HS3 instance.
                I'm getting the error:

stipus$ mono HSPI_PLCBUS.EXE instance=test server=192.168.3.4
                PLCBUS plugin instance [test] connecting to server [192.168.3.4]...
                PLCBUS plugin instance [test] connected, waiting to be initialized...
                Error SendInvokeResponse: Client is not connected to the server.
                Shuting down plugin because connection is lost with server [192.168.3.4]
                ShutdownIO[test]

I tried the opposite, run the plugin under Windows, and connect to the HomeSeer server running under mono on the Mac, and it seems to be working... I can control lights, but I cannot access the plugin configuration page.

I'm getting this error on the iMac side:

3/25/2014 3:24:48 AM:[Error]->Getting web page from plugin page Configuration:Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                3/25/2014 3:24:48 AM:[Info]->Plugin PLCBUS with instance: has disconnected
                --
                stipus

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                  HS3 for Linux may also be installed on MAC OS.

Note that HS3 on the MAC has only had limited testing so feedback is welcome.

To install on your MAC:

1) Install MONO

A installer for the MAC is available here:

http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Download the MRE installer and open it to install.

2) Download the latest HS3 for Linux TAR file, posted in another thread.

3) The download will be in your downloads folder. Extract all the files using your favorite method. You can do this from a Terminal window. Change directory to your Downloads folder then extract the files with:

tar xvf [tar filename]

4) When the files are extracted a folder named "HomeSeer" is created. Open a terminal window and change directory to the HomeSeer folder. Then run HS3 with the command:

./go

It may prompt you for your system password.

++++++++++++++++

Known issues:

* UPNP does not seem to run and will log an error message. Go into HS3 setup and disable UPNP. It is not really needed as you can use the URL find.homeseer.com to find the HomeSeer web server.

* Ideally, HS3 should start when the MAC starts. If a MAC expert can post instructions on how to do this, I can add those instructions to this post.
                  Hi,
                  Could I know what is the exact statement (with syntax) to disable the UPNP. I have tried many version with no luck...I not familiar with command code anymore..
                  Thanks for any help

Comment

I'm fairly fluent in Linux and Max OS X, but not Mono. I downloaded and installed Mono, downloaded and extracted the HS3 tar, but there is no "go" script or program in that directory (per the instructions above). And using mono to run the HSConsole.exe does nothing.

There are just a few files in the root directory, and a couple in the bin directory.

Can someone give me a tip to keep moving forward?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comment

I'm assuming I'm using the wrong tar file, since when unpacking it it's not in a HomeSeer directory (I had to create that first and unpack it in there).

Is there some reason a link to the proper/official Linux tar file is so hard to find? It opens things up to people putting bad versions out there.

Comment

Yup; its at the top of this section. I am using V149 as posted here.

Beta download section on Forum is.

Homeseer Message Board ==> Homeseer ==> Current Software ==> HS3 / HS3PRO ==> HS3/PRO Beta Releases

As far as I know in a historical sense; only Rich has posted the betas for Homeseer 3 Linux. Sometimes an update to an update is posted in the same thread.

Relating to Mono; you just need it installed; nothing else.

The stated purpose of Mono is not only to be able to run Microsoft .NET applications cross-platform, but also to bring better development tools to Linux developers. Mono can be run on many software systems including Android, most Linux distributions, BSD, OS X, Windows, Solaris, and even some game consoles such as PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360.

The logo of Mono is a stylized monkey's face, mono being Spanish for monkey.
                        Last edited by Pete; February 26, 2015, 10:25 AM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks! 149 works, the other versions in other threads do not.

New question - I have a KeySpan USB-to-Serial adapter. I know it works since it's currently working view Parallels, but I can't seem to find the /dev/ that it's using. There is no /dev/cu.* for it.

Any ideas on how to get this visible? I am using OS X 10.9 Mavericks, and I tried installing the KeySpan driver. I didn't reboot yet.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Thank you for the heads up related to the update.

I wonder if the posted version is just an update rather than the whole enchilada?

For USB anything I typically just type

lsusb

and see all of the USB devices. There is also official USB data base file. Its just a text file with every known USB device to exist.

Here I utilize Digi everything (USB hubs and Edgeports). I have a couple of USB to Serial devices on the Digi Hub plus two 8 serial port to USB Digi Edgeports.

If it is the only USB to Serial device then its your first or only choice in the configuration down stuff.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

On my Mac OS X 10.9 server, lsusb doesn't do anything... (it's not a valid command). :-(

In HS3, there are about 50 /dev devices showing up, which is why I'm trying to narrow down which one is the Z-Troller.

Any other tips on figuring this out?

Comment

Working...
                              X