www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HS3 / HS3PRO > HS3/PRO Beta Releases

HS3/PRO Beta Releases Discussion area for the beta releases of HomeSeer HS3 and HS3PRO software

Old December 13th, 2013, 11:38 AM
HomeSeer Technologies

HS3 Linux Instructions for MAC OS

HS3 for Linux may also be installed on MAC OS.

Note that HS3 on the MAC has only had limited testing so feedback is welcome.

To install on your MAC:

1) Install MONO

A installer for the MAC is available here:

http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Download the MRE installer and open it to install.

2) Download the latest HS3 for Linux TAR file, posted in another thread.

3) The download will be in your downloads folder. Extract all the files using your favorite method. You can do this from a Terminal window. Change directory to your Downloads folder then extract the files with:

tar xvf [tar filename]

4) When the files are extracted a folder named "HomeSeer" is created. Open a terminal window and change directory to the HomeSeer folder. Then run HS3 with the command:

./go

It may prompt you for your system password.

++++++++++++++++

Known issues:

* UPNP does not seem to run and will log an error message. Go into HS3 setup and disable UPNP. It is not really needed as you can use the URL find.homeseer.com to find the HomeSeer web server.

* Ideally, HS3 should start when the MAC starts. If a MAC expert can post instructions on how to do this, I can add those instructions to this post.

website | products | support | youtube
Old January 7th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Seer

If you want to autostart HS3 on a MAC

Open> Settings
Select> Users and Groups
Select> Login Items
Select> + (on the lower left hand corner)
Open> Users>username>Applications
Select> the application you want to start on login

Reboot you MAC and it should start the application
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Seer Deluxe

Did the voice get resolved

I tried this a month or so ago and voice did not work - has that been resolved?

GearHouse Club Member
Intel Ci5 1.49 GHz / Win7 Pro 64 / 4G RAM
HSPRO v2.5.0.81 / Z-Troller / 30 Z-Wave devices
HSTouch / UltraWeatherBug / Insteon / ADIO-100 / EtherRain / SONOSCONTROLLER / UltraNetCam / BDGraphs / Pushover (3P) / EnvisaLink / AirPlay Speak
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Seer Deluxe

I'm having a problem running on OSX with both version 3.0.0.54 and 3.0.0.55. As soon as I start HS, I get repeated errors:
Code:
[Error]->GetLog Error: sqlite3_column_database_name16
Most things seem to be working OK except for the event log. Any ideas?
Old January 28th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Seer

I’ve got the same problem.
Running OS X 10.9.1 and Mono 3.2.4
Log webpage stays empty and getting "GetLog Error: sqlite3_column_database_name16" in terminal.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:38 AM
Seer Plus

Same issue here. I'm guessing SQLite3's not included when we do the Mac install instructions...

In the meantime, if you want to see the event log (and you know some SQL), you can access it directly by running:

Code:
$ sqlite3 Logs/HomeSeerLog.hsd
Then run a query like this:

Code:
SELECT * FROM log ORDER BY Log_DateTime Desc Limit 20;
I'm going to keep digging (off and on) to see if I can find out how to get the SQLite support in Mono on Mac. In the meantime, if someone else finds out please let us all know!

Edit: Forgot to mention... It's strange how HomeSeer can actually write to the log database, but not read from it...
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:28 AM
Seer Plus

I've tried fiddling around with a couple of downloads of System.Data.SQLite.dll; one for Windows 32-bit .NET framework 4.0, and the other for the same but with the C++ runtimes statically linked. Although I'm a programmer, and I deal a bit with .NET, I'm not quite familiar with it on this level...yet

Anyway, does anyone know where HST downloaded the SQLite DLL that's in the ZIP file that we download? It's version 1.0.87, and I've seen version 1.0.90 out. Doubtful, but perhaps the bug we're seeing is just because the DLL's out of date? I'd say more than likely though it's related to trying to run that DLL on Mac & Mono...

The other option is to custom-build SQLite from source. I'm guessing HomeSeer (at least on Mono) is running 32-bit / .NET 4.0, but it'd be nice to know for sure before heading down that road
Old March 24th, 2014, 10:14 PM
OverSeer

I have tested HS3 3.0.0.66 and my PLCBUS plugin both running on my iMac under mono, and it worked.

However, I couldn't connect the Mac plugin to the Windows HS3 instance.
I'm getting the error:

stipus$ mono HSPI_PLCBUS.EXE instance=test server=192.168.3.4
PLCBUS plugin instance [test] connecting to server [192.168.3.4]...
PLCBUS plugin instance [test] connected, waiting to be initialized...
Error SendInvokeResponse: Client is not connected to the server.
Shuting down plugin because connection is lost with server [192.168.3.4]
ShutdownIO[test]

I tried the opposite, run the plugin under Windows, and connect to the HomeSeer server running under mono on the Mac, and it seems to be working... I can control lights, but I cannot access the plugin configuration page.

I'm getting this error on the iMac side:

3/25/2014 3:24:48 AM:[Error]->Getting web page from plugin page Configuration:Object reference not set to an instance of an object
3/25/2014 3:24:48 AM:[Info]->Plugin PLCBUS with instance: has disconnected
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Viewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post

Note that HS3 on the MAC has only had limited testing so feedback is welcome.

To install on your MAC:

1) Install MONO

A installer for the MAC is available here:

http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Download the MRE installer and open it to install.

2) Download the latest HS3 for Linux TAR file, posted in another thread.

3) The download will be in your downloads folder. Extract all the files using your favorite method. You can do this from a Terminal window. Change directory to your Downloads folder then extract the files with:

tar xvf [tar filename]

4) When the files are extracted a folder named "HomeSeer" is created. Open a terminal window and change directory to the HomeSeer folder. Then run HS3 with the command:

./go

It may prompt you for your system password.

++++++++++++++++

Known issues:

* UPNP does not seem to run and will log an error message. Go into HS3 setup and disable UPNP. It is not really needed as you can use the URL find.homeseer.com to find the HomeSeer web server.

* Ideally, HS3 should start when the MAC starts. If a MAC expert can post instructions on how to do this, I can add those instructions to this post.
Hi,
Could I know what is the exact statement (with syntax) to disable the UPNP. I have tried many version with no luck...I not familiar with command code anymore..
Thanks for any help
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Seer Deluxe

Question

I'm fairly fluent in Linux and Max OS X, but not Mono. I downloaded and installed Mono, downloaded and extracted the HS3 tar, but there is no "go" script or program in that directory (per the instructions above). And using mono to run the HSConsole.exe does nothing.

There are just a few files in the root directory, and a couple in the bin directory.

Can someone give me a tip to keep moving forward?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Seer Deluxe

I'm assuming I'm using the wrong tar file, since when unpacking it it's not in a HomeSeer directory (I had to create that first and unpack it in there).

Is there some reason a link to the proper/official Linux tar file is so hard to find? It opens things up to people putting bad versions out there.
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:02 AM
OverSeer

Yup; its at the top of this section. I am using V149 as posted here.

Beta download section on Forum is.

Homeseer Message Board ==> Homeseer ==> Current Software ==> HS3 / HS3PRO ==> HS3/PRO Beta Releases

As far as I know in a historical sense; only Rich has posted the betas for Homeseer 3 Linux. Sometimes an update to an update is posted in the same thread.

Relating to Mono; you just need it installed; nothing else.

The stated purpose of Mono is not only to be able to run Microsoft .NET applications cross-platform, but also to bring better development tools to Linux developers. Mono can be run on many software systems including Android, most Linux distributions, BSD, OS X, Windows, Solaris, and even some game consoles such as PlayStation 3, Wii, and Xbox 360.

The logo of Mono is a stylized monkey's face, mono being Spanish for monkey.

Automator

Last edited by Pete; February 26th, 2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old February 26th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Seer Deluxe

Question

Thanks! 149 works, the other versions in other threads do not.

New question - I have a KeySpan USB-to-Serial adapter. I know it works since it's currently working view Parallels, but I can't seem to find the /dev/ that it's using. There is no /dev/cu.* for it.

Any ideas on how to get this visible? I am using OS X 10.9 Mavericks, and I tried installing the KeySpan driver. I didn't reboot yet.

Thanks in advance!
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:22 PM
OverSeer

Thank you for the heads up related to the update.

I wonder if the posted version is just an update rather than the whole enchilada?

For USB anything I typically just type

lsusb

and see all of the USB devices. There is also official USB data base file. Its just a text file with every known USB device to exist.

Here I utilize Digi everything (USB hubs and Edgeports). I have a couple of USB to Serial devices on the Digi Hub plus two 8 serial port to USB Digi Edgeports.

If it is the only USB to Serial device then its your first or only choice in the configuration down stuff.
Old February 27th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Seer Deluxe

On my Mac OS X 10.9 server, lsusb doesn't do anything... (it's not a valid command). :-(

In HS3, there are about 50 /dev devices showing up, which is why I'm trying to narrow down which one is the Z-Troller.

Any other tips on figuring this out?
Old February 27th, 2015, 09:21 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
On my Mac OS X 10.9 server, lsusb doesn't do anything... (it's not a valid command). :-(
I am guessing that there are hardware tools in the MAC OS that you could utilize to see devices connected to the USB port.

None the less if you have the USB port configured to the Z-Wave device then when you go to the controller status you will see the right stuff (firmware, devices et al in the configuration pieces of the Z-Wave device (whatever it may be). So you could "guess".

I am also guessing right now you are running HS3 in iOS and not in parallels or concurrent with HS3 running in Windows/parallels eh?

Both accessing hardware would cause discontent on your MAC.

IE: the status under plugins will show an error of it not connecting. You cannot break anything as its just a computer and software.

As you are still playing with HS3; it would behoove you to remove all of the devices / events based on said devices that have been created and start from scratch.

Just last night dealt with a similiar issue and I couldn't tell whether the old Z-wave devices would work with a updated Z-Wave plugin / Aeon stick controller on a Homestroller for a HS3 user that I was helping.

The Z-Wave DB in HS3 was showing up as corrupt with the newer HS3 Z-Wave plugin. I kept trying older Z-Wave DB's and they just didn't work. Rather here then I just went to reading the Z-wave controller and using the new devices that it created (well not even sure that those would work).

This issue cropped up on the day before this Homeseer user was going on a vacation which is not really a good time for this to happen.
Old February 27th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Seer

Mac Autostart instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh View Post

I am certainly no Mac expert, but I have been able to modify my Mac to autostart HS3. In order to do this I had to write a plist file and place it in the /Library/LaunchDaemons/ folder. The permissions for this folder are VERY specific and that is one of the biggest problems I had.

I have tried to attach the plist file and a screenshot of the permissions.

Make sure you edit the plist file to run the mono command from whatever directory you extracted HS3 to. You'll probably want to modify the logging locations too (since HS3 will be running in the background).

I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip autostartHS3.plist.zip (1.2 KB, 48 views)
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I am guessing that there are hardware tools in the MAC OS that you could utilize to see devices connected to the USB port.

None the less if you have the USB port configured to the Z-Wave device then when you go to the controller status you will see the right stuff (firmware, devices et al in the configuration pieces of the Z-Wave device (whatever it may be). So you could "guess".

I am also guessing right now you are running HS3 in iOS and not in parallels or concurrent with HS3 running in Windows/parallels eh?

Both accessing hardware would cause discontent on your MAC.

IE: the status under plugins will show an error of it not connecting. You cannot break anything as its just a computer and software.

As you are still playing with HS3; it would behoove you to remove all of the devices / events based on said devices that have been created and start from scratch.

Just last night dealt with a similiar issue and I couldn't tell whether the old Z-wave devices would work with a updated Z-Wave plugin / Aeon stick controller on a Homestroller for a HS3 user that I was helping.

The Z-Wave DB in HS3 was showing up as corrupt with the newer HS3 Z-Wave plugin. I kept trying older Z-Wave DB's and they just didn't work. Rather here then I just went to reading the Z-wave controller and using the new devices that it created (well not even sure that those would work).

This issue cropped up on the day before this Homeseer user was going on a vacation which is not really a good time for this to happen.
I have a solid HS2 implementation on Windows, and have had that for years. I tried HS3 on Windows when it came out, then again a few months later, and it was abysmal in my setup - not sure if it was timing, the configuration of my house, or what.

However I'd really like to get this going on my Mac server to remove my last Windows machine. So I figured I would try it out.

The issue is that there are literally dozens of /dev options to pick, so it would take hours to test them all to find the right one. I'm hoping there's an easier way to identify what the /dev is for the USB-Serial device plugged into my Mac.

Any thoughts?
Old February 27th, 2015, 03:33 PM
Seer Deluxe

Angry

Okay, I installed the Prolific driver found here:
http://pbxbook.com/other/mac-tty.html

Rebooted, shut down Parallels, then ls /dev/*usb* finally showed something, which I picked in HS3. It recognized the Z-Troller, imported all the devices, but it gets an error for everything saying:

02:23:12:7121:[Z-Wave]->Checking if we can reach node 102
02:23:12:7340:[Z-Wave]->Cannot reach node 102, will not import any information about this node.
02:23:12:7346:[Z-Wave Warning]->Failed to retrieve Z-Wave class information for node 102, device synchronization/creation will not continue for this node.

And it's all instant. I restarted the controller, same errors. This exact same controller works fine on HS2, on the same machine, plugged into the same USB port (via Parallels).

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'd prefer not to zap my entire network from the Z-Troller.

I also noticed there are two Z-Wave libraries, one says "Beta for Linux" under updates, which one should I be using?

Thanks in advance!
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Seer

Hi,

I'm trying to install HS3 ver.149 on my Mac but for some reason I'm unable to proceed. I was running HS3 before on the same MAC but I had to reboot my system and all of a sudden it stoped working.