Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > RFID Plug-ins > RFID Discussion

Old March 7th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Seer Deluxe

active RFID - from ebay?????

has anyone tried to use, or is using an active RFID system similiar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4G-Active-...item1e825d4afe
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:49 AM
OverSeer

Well sort of. Do a search for RFID and you will see the hundreds of post and information on the plugin(s) we use with the hardware.
Old March 7th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Seer Master

I'm not aware of an active RFID on the board. This one has distance!

This does not appear to be the same HW as for Blades or CheaperRFID or related to the iAutomate.

It does look promising though.

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.318) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Seer Deluxe

active has ALOT further range. i'm looking for something hopefully around the 40m.

and i dont want to jump in and buy a bunch of mess like i did with x10 hardware.....

most of the posts i saw were mostly passive rfid,
Old March 7th, 2014, 02:55 PM
OverSeer

Active RFID means the tags transmit on some interval. They have an onboard battery.
Passive RFID transmit when scanned as the result of a magnetic field. The do not have a battery, but rather an oscillator.

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old March 7th, 2014, 05:29 PM
OverSeer

Yep, all of the past posts on the "popular" RFID is Active and many of us have the 40 M tags as well as the 10-15 meter tags as well.
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Seer Deluxe

The one you linked to is not the one most on the board, including me, use.

I have a receiver and four 40m tags from here; http://www.ebay.com/sch/southhorizon...p2047675.l2562

They work good in our two vehicles.
Old March 8th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbtex View Post
The one you linked to is not the one most on the board, including me, use.

I have a receiver and four 40m tags from here; http://www.ebay.com/sch/southhorizon...p2047675.l2562

They work good in our two vehicles.
how far from the driveway is your receiver? and how well does it work? what plug in are you using?

and which model #s are you using?

thank you!
Old March 8th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischb22 View Post
how far from the driveway is your receiver? and how well does it work? what plug in are you using?

and which model #s are you using?

thank you!
The receiver(RF8315R) is in the attic above the garage.

And I have two transmitters(RF40315T-x) in each car. I started with just one per car, but had issues. I'm not sure what was the cause, but occasionally, events set to trigger when a vehicle was gone would trigger with the car in the garage. Since I added the second transmitters, this problem is gone.

I'm using the BLRfid plug-in.

Range is really good. I have things set to open the garage door when one of our cars comes into range. The door always opens before I get to the driveway and sometimes that distance is about 100 ft.
Old March 9th, 2014, 12:55 PM
OverSeer

BTW; the owner of the company on Ebay / website never did bend on the prices; always firm. Over the years though I've only had maybe 1 device fail me.

The one that failed was one of the RFID devices which utilized the 12VDC from the car battery.

Today I just have one of these in the headliner in a case near but not adjacent to the dome lights flush against the top hood of the car.

I did have an issue with two other cars where the computer system in the car shuts down every device on the bus; no matter what; which is good and bad; depending on how you look at it.

This is where you rewire with a direct connect to the car battery or use batteries for the device which really do last a long time.

One of the most recently issues (unrelated to the OP) I had was with a "sticky" blue tooth in one car where it would remain connected to my phone even though the phone was at a distance from the car. It did drain the batteries (IE: replaced the battery 3 times from when new in a span of two years). The automobile did have a 5 year warranty but the dealer still blamed me for the issue; later though the car mfg did acknowledge the issue and redid the firmware on the blue tooth module.

I didn't have an issue with a similiar bluetooth OEM module in an older car; but a generation of blue tooth prior to current.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite Edition Beta 3.0.0.435

HS3 Wintel Touch | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins | Speech - Microsoft SAPI - Neospeech - Amazon Echo | Hardware | Haswell Intel iSeries 3 - 16Gb | Pine64 - 2Gb computers | Openpeak Intel Atom SoC tabletop touchscreens (15 HS tabletop tablets) | Touchscreens - Windows embedded POE connected |Light switches - X10,UPB, ZWave and Zigbee | Firewall - PFSense - 2 WAN plus 4 LAN interfaces | Network - Gb managed switches / POE WAP(s) | CCTV - Zoneminder IPHD cams - variety | Audio - Russound - AB8SS | Security - Leviton HAI Omni Pro 2 | Weather - Davis Vantage Vue - MeteoStick - WeeWx | 1-Wire - AAG, Midon and HB | OWFS - Mosquitto - Node Red - Python - RPi Stretch - OpenWRT

Last edited by Pete; March 9th, 2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Seer

Perhaps someone here can help me. I bought this rfid receiver (RF8315R) and 5 transmitters. I have it plugged to a serial port on my pc, no usb adapters. I have tried watching it using 'Termite' and see zero activity. I have tried adding it to Blades rfid plugin and nothing is showing in the logs, even with debug logs turned on.

What kind of activity should I be seeing? Are you using the 9vdc power jack on the receiver? In talking to the ebay seller he said it wasn't necessary, but I haven't found one that fits anyway. Is there anything else I can do to try to get this working or confirm some activity? I am completely lost at this point.
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Seer Deluxe

You should see the tag ID every time it transmits. I had to use a DC adapter on the receiver to get it to work.

I've since switched to Wavetrend as their gear has more features.
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Seer

I will try to find a dc adapter that fits. Any suggestions on the exact specs of your dc adapter? I have tried a few different ones that just don't fit. From the ebay seller I got this response: "This receive normally does not require external power. If you really want to try 9V please use 2.1 center positive jack." If you have switched to another brand, any chance you want to sell whatever you have leftover of this type?
Old July 9th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjnexus View Post
I will try to find a dc adapter that fits. Any suggestions on the exact specs of your dc adapter? I have tried a few different ones that just don't fit. From the ebay seller I got this response: "This receive normally does not require external power. If you really want to try 9V please use 2.1 center positive jack." If you have switched to another brand, any chance you want to sell whatever you have leftover of this type?
I bought this for my receiver:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201065556407...84.m1439.l2649
Works great.
9V 1000mA 1A AC to DC Power Supply Switching Adapter
Old July 9th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Seer Master

That receiver does not output proper serial signaling. I modified several, using a proper TTL to RS232 conversion chip, and a dedicated power supply. Their design is very cheap, and this is why you have problems. Many serial ports will not work with them, and forget the idea that it would work stock on a network serial server (if you even care about that).

If you want to make an upgrade, then send me an email through the board. If you have the circuit skills, then I suggest making the modification yourself.
Old July 10th, 2014, 07:09 AM
OverSeer

@Automated,

Geez recall playing much way back with the MAX232 chip for this or for that (know its an antiquated these days).

Can you post you modifications here to the TTL to RS232 stuff you did?

I have the tags in the headliners of the automobiles running off the stock 12VDC in the car. Considering that they are adjacent to the metal / hood they do OK.
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Seer Master

Pete, you need to tap the output pin on the pic, and feed that into a max3232 ttl to serial chip. You can just leave their pumping transistor there. Then feed 5v past their serial port connected regulator where they try to pull power off the serial line. Use this also to feed power to the serial converter chip, with both then getting a common ground. Hookup power and a serial port on the rs232 side of the converter chip and you are in business.

I am writing this from memory on my phone, and I know you have the knowledge to figure it out from that, but let me know if you need a picture, and I can go look at mine.

Last edited by Automated; July 11th, 2014 at 12:40 AM.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:29 AM
OverSeer

Thank you Automated.

Yup here have a box o receivers that I am not using right now. I also have a bunch of max232 chips / sockets around somewhere from years ago.

I just have to find them.

I will do the pictures and detail the little modification in the DIY section here.

I am using two of them right now (years now). I did do stuff to them years ago.

I don't pay attention to them as they work fine.
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Seer Master

Hey, that was an article for my book. Hah. I joke around here with my wife that I should write a book of all the many things I modify for automation.
Old July 11th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjnexus View Post
Well I got the adapter, plugged in and tada! I'm getting signals. I couldn't get BLRfid plugin to work with this, but the CheaperRFID plugin worked immediately and started picking up the tags. I have 40m tags and 8m tags. So far the 40m ones seem to be working great, but the 8m ones seem to only have a range of about 3-4 feet. This seems off to me. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to increase this range? Can I put a better antenna on the receiver? Currently it has a wire coming out as an antenna. Any suggestions would be appreciated.