Moving HS3 to New Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving HS3 to New Computer

I haven't done a migration in quite a while, and need a refresher. I need to move HS3 to a new computer (current one is dying). I am using Z-Nets for controllers, and those don't need to change.

Can I just copy the HS3 files over to the new computer?
    Do I need to install HS3 on the new computer, then copy files?

I want to do this as painlessly as possible. I think the last move I made was from a Z-Stick to Z-Net, where I basically had to start over. I'm hoping this migration will be less painful.

David

You need to ensure you are running the same version of HS3 on both PC's and then simply copy your old HS3 folder to the new server after installing the same version of HS3 on the new PC.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Great!!

What about license issues on the new computer?

David

Comment

Comment

I installed HS3 on the replacement machine. I copied across all the files that would copy. HS3 is running on the new machine. The license is indeed not a problem. However, I have no plugins. Is there a file(s) I missed?

David

Comment

Yes looks like you didn't copy all of the files.

Steps are:

1 - install HS3 new first
            2 - copy over your old HS3 directory to your new HS3 box. (32 bit to 32 bit and 64 bit to 64 bit)

You have to make sure that HS is not running when you do this and using the identical directory name as the old computer.

What version of HS3 are you running? (368?) It really shouldn't matter if you are copying like to like.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

That is what I did, but I had a bunch of files that said they couldn't be written, mostly .exe and .dlls. I'll try the copy again.

David

Comment

Yup that is because you need to use administrative mode to copy the files.

Google running explorer in administrative mode.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

A bit trickier than that. I was trying to use Teamviewer to copy the files, and I don't think I have control over admin with that, even though I am the admin. I've tried to zip up the files and I'm pushing the zip across. Then I should be able to run as admin to unzip the files to the folder.

Comment

The reason I'm moving HS3 is the fan on the tablet I'm currently running it from is making a racket. Once I move it, I'll work on the tablet to see if I can fix it.

Then.....the server at church is being rebuilt, so I need to move it there, too. I think the two are running in parallel right now, but the only thing left on the old server is HS3, so I need to get it moved.

Still moving the zip.....

David

Comment

I had to make a few manual updates, like IP address, but I think I have things up and running at home. Now I just need to do the same thing at church.

Comment

The church install has been moved to the new server. Everything appears to be working fine.

Thanks for all the help!!
                        David

Comment

Working...
                        X