www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Analog & Digital IO Device Plug-ins > Analog & Digital IO Discussion > Arduino Plugin (3P)

Arduino Plugin (3P) Discussions related to the Arduion plugin for HS3 by enigmatheatre

Old February 18th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Seer Plus

Water Leak detection using API mode

Just thought i would share my new project - it's a water leak detection system using Arduino with HS integration using Greig's plugin.

I wrote this in Visual Studio using the Visual Micro Plugin - this is so much better than the horrible default dev tool that comes with an Arduino. You get tool tips, intelisense and full debugging which are a godsend. Video includes some info on using and debugging with visual micro - highly reccomended!

This project allows you to connect at least 4 "leak ropes" to an Arduino and provide an audible alarm if water is detected on one of the ropes.
The circuit is a voltage divider with some protection.

When you first power it up, you need to press the calibrate button - this will write the current analogue readings into Eeprom and will be remembered between reboots.
From that point, the code just compares the live reading to the baseline reading and and works out the percentage deviation from that value.  

The rest of the code is the Enigmatheatre API mode code for Homeseer - you can either ignore or remove the code if you are not using HomeSeer - or adapt it to make it transmit data over UDP to your particular app.

Please note my version of the API is very much out of date, you will need to get the API generated by your installation and merge my code back into it - it wont work as is. Hopefully it should be easy to distinguish my code from Greig’s.
The conductive wire on the leak rope is stainless steel, which means you can solder it. I used bootlace ferules to crimp wires which were then soldered.
The end of the rope has a 6 meg resistor added - this acts to provide a slight input bias downwards, so if it becomes disconnected we can detect that by a rise in the input value.

details:
http://www.mez.co.uk/leakrope.html
vlog:
Attached Images